Roll Call: Virginia

man that place looks dope, but that sammich looks incredible

Once we fully recover from last week’s aeration we are going to be COOKING

1 Like

finally started getting into upper 50s/low 60s overnight here so we’re close to primo

1 Like

Man it was 45 last saturday on the mountain when i teed off at 7:50. best morning walk I’ve had in a long time.

1 Like

Anyone belong to or played Chantilly National? Other than Hidden Creek, seems to be the only reasonable private course close (ish) to Vienna.

@Fore20 Crazy wet up here on the mountain Friday. How did things go for you?

Looks like flood stage conditions over the next 24 to 36 hours. The weekend was really nice but it looks like we will pay for it for the next couple of days.

Yeah we were stuck on the cart path up here all weekend but good thing I’m PCM

I found a female who hits it like 240 off the tee for Gordon Trent outing sat am. Looks like she maybe a nice little pick up

it was miserable TBH

was supposed to start at 9 am, but that got pushed back to 1 pm b/c of the rain…

1 pm rolls around, its still raining…ended up going off at 2 pm

rained pretty much the entire round, with a couple short breaks…i think we got all of 17 minutes of not rain while i was there

course was cool though, i really enjoyed it…#10 was a bit wonky teeing off basically directly into the side of a hill, but outside of that was a solid layout and was in very good shape

id definitely be a member if i lived in the area, liked the poker tables and gaming machines in the locker room, that was a solid touch

our team shot 61 which was good enough for 4th place…the team who won it shot 54 and were expected to win it from what my buddy who is the member said

the GM did a nice job running the tourney i though, he put 2 teams on each hole to limit the cheating which was a nice touch

i ended up leaving the course at basically 8 pm after changing and hanging around to see who won long drive, CTP, etc…pulled in at 930 after having left at 7 am

Yes indeed, she will drive greens from the ladies tees.

1 Like

That seems to be the norm around here for the past few years. No rain whatsoever for months and then monsoons for a week. We are under a flash flood warning now through Wednesday.

I have pushed for #9 to be returned to a par 5 (as it was designed) for years. The original tee for #9 was over behind the 4th tee and it played as a long, sweeping dogleg left. Having to hit a drive directly toward Cranberry Creek wasn’t something the old-timers enjoyed so they built the current tee and turned that hole into an unimaginative mess. The risk/reward as a par 5 was awesome when I was a kid given the pond, creek and drainage ditch that crosses the fairway. Any layup had to be well played or you could be in some real trouble. But as a par 4, it just lack character. Maybe that’s only in my head since I remember it fondly as one of the best par 5’s around.

Still, #10 is probably the worst home on the golf course. We like to mess with folks playing it for the first time though. Have them hit an approach into the 13th green. Numbers 8, 11, 14 and 18 are really good holes.

we started on 6 i think and i honestly have no clue what #9 was…is it the one with the pond directly in front of the green?

Yes. Dead straight with the creek all the way down the right.

I’m a member at Chantilly National. Joined in June. Course was in great shape when I joined, but got crushed from the weather this summer seems to be on it’s way back. Not a great layout, but not bad either. Some decent holes. Easy walking course. Also, it’s owned by ClubCorps, so you get access to several other courses in the area. Out of town now, but would be happy to play a round once I get back. Happy to answer any questions. Feel free to DM as well.

1 Like

Crushed by the recent weather in this area shouldn’t be an indictment, either. It seems like pretty much every course without an absurd maintenance budget was hit really hard this summer.

5 Likes

Even 3 hours south, yes. It wasn’t terrible hot this year thankfully, but the flooding a lot of the state saw was just as brutal to the bent grass and fairways. Here’s to a good fall and praying for recovery.

1 Like

Does anyone have any recommendations for publicly accessible courses near the Wintergreen Resort/Charlottesville area? I am playing a tournament at the wintergreen resort on Columbus day and will be up there all weekend. Have a practice round already booked on the course I’m playing on monday but will have a bunch of freetime on both Friday and Sunday.

Check out Old Trail & Swannanoa - different ends of the spectrum and 1 of them should be appealing.

1 Like

My first look would be poplar grove, about 35-40 mins away. Birdwood at the boar’s head just got a revamp as well. If you wanna drive down to Roanoke you can play with me for free too lol

1 Like

swannanoa looked interesting to me, pretty cheap and sounds like the head pro designed it himself. Was for sure on my list.