Roll Call: Virginia

I’ll send Zac Blair a DM and see if he wants to buy it. Signature at the Buck Club sounds nice.

1 Like

If you end up going to Woodlands, let me know how it is. It’s the closest accessible Ross to DC (I think) and I’ve wanted to check it out for a while.

1 Like

if not I’d always be down to play the old course at the homestead

1 Like

Played front 9 last fall and it was great for what it is. Would (and will) go back, though that bridge tunnel makes any drive seem 5x as long…

1 Like

Also Sewell’s point, in Norfolk near the Naval Shipyard, is a Ross, not much further than Woodlands…

2 Likes

Can you get on Sewell’s Point? The Tufts Archives have it labeled as a military course with limited access.

Yes! It used to be civilians could only be walk-ups, no tee times, but a year or two ago they changed it so it’s 100% accessible for civilians. You don’t have to actually enter through a base gate to get on the property so they had some wiggle room I guess. A bunch of buddies, like 5 groups, just played out there yesterday and had a great time (while I was stuck in my office)

2 Likes

Oh nice! That’s great news since my old reservist ID expired literally today.

1 Like

I’d play woodlands again just to have a par 69

nice

2 Likes

Played woodlands last Thursday and it was BUZZING with golfers. Awesome to see it. Hate to play a five hour round. Fun old course with lots of energy at a fair price. No driving range so meditate while you sit in traffic to understand your swing space.

Also Two small courses off 64 in Newport News that are less traffic. Can’t beat a Donald Ross but Newport News Golf Club at Deer Run is another option WITH a driving range.

Anybody ever played the Doak course over in Suffolk? Riverfront Golf Club; heard it was really nice before all the houses got built around it. Always wanted to check it out.

It’s awesome, easily my favorite daily fee in the area. I live in Virginia Beach so it’s not exactly close, but I have never regretted making the haul out there to play. As far as I know it was designed and built knowing exactly what the development plan for the housing was and, honestly, the houses really don’t come into play unless you’re seriously spraying it…

Great to hear! I’ve had it on my Want To Play list for some time now but don’t get back to the area as much as I used to. Hopefully will make it happen.

I always heard that Bide-A-Wee is really good.

Can’t speak from experience, but have never heard anything but praise for Bide-A-Wee

Anyone play Royal New Kent recently? Planning on making a tee time for next weekend and want to make sure it’s in good shape before heading down from Northern VA. Thanks.

I’m playing this Wednesday at 9:00am with my brother. If there are open spots at that time anyone is welcome to join us.

1 Like

Went to Sewell’s Point for a shorter round and honestly the place is too good. Bunkering is outstanding and the place is manicured something sweet. $28 to walk and I think that’s an all you can play rate according to the folks I was paired up with. Also, Mr. Ross ejected me, per usual.
Thanks for the suggestion @slimreaper87

5 Likes