Roll Call: Virginia

I’ve always really enjoyed Independence. The layout is interesting enough but I was always amazed at the condition, even during parts of the year where most other courses were struggling. I haven’t been in probably three years and the vibe back then was definitely interesting, with a lot of different stuff going on. They had a bunch of different Lexus models parked between the putting green and the range, and even used one to drive food out to us on the course. Some of the best breakfast sandwiches in the game. Hoping to get back there soon.

1 Like

Independence is definitely a fun course. It feels like every few years they have major issues with their greens and have to get em redone which is one reason i think it doesn’t get more praise. I firmly believe if you want to have issues with your greens in 3-5 years, hire Lester George

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken they had some serious issues a year or two ago during the summer and the course was closed.

That would make sense, but they were perfect yesterday. Tough as shit to fix a pitch mark in but rolling great and very interesting.

1 Like

Independence is a unique place. The owner is Michael Breeds brother who used to own Octagon Sports Management and used to manage Gulbis and Els.

He bought the club a few years back and spent a fortune taking trees out and changing the greens to Bermuda (northern mist course with Bermuda) and redoing a bunch of bunkers. Two years ago we had a super wet fall and the greens developed a massive fungus problem. He had to replace almost every green.

Another issue with the greens are if it gets close to freezing they shut the course down and they have to cover up the greens.

Giff is 100% a marketing guy and he has sponsors for everything from bev carts to the golf cart GPS system. His initial goal was to have WiFi all over the course to allow people to post more pictures of the course, again marketing mindset.

Giff is a great guy but like y’all have said it’s a club stuck in the middle.

4 Likes

Registration Link for the Refuge event/NIT qualifier in DC is up for those interested:

1 Like

Grew up in the neighborhood and live about a mile or two from there now. This is an A+ summary of Indy. Not the biggest fan of a lot of the bunker and tree removal they did, but the goal was mass playability so it makes sense.

1 Like

Think I may be able to make this…thanks for setting up.

1 Like

I’m driving back to Alexandria from the OBX on Monday, I was hoping to stop in VA Beach and launch em. I was looking at Ocean View and Woodlands being right beside 64, yes/no? Anywhere else?

Ocean view holds a special place in my heart, but its a muni, and its never been in even 2 star shape when I play out there.

Its public golf the way god intended it.

Can I suggest stopping at Royal New kent?

3 Likes

Both will be busy, even on a Monday, so call up there and see if they can get you on. Both short and walk-able. Woodlands is actually a Donald Ross design, but not crowned greens or anything like that. Or do what @country35 suggested and try to get on at RNK or Viniterra

2 Likes

Or play Kilmarlic on your way out of the OBX (other side of the bridge) and then hit the road!

1 Like

RNK is mustering in the mind, but wanted to check out some of the plethora of VB muni courses.

Thought about playing Kilmarlic or Nag’s Head but a bit steep IMO.

I always enjoy Mr. Ross.

I’ve played most of them now, and while I do appreciate them, and think if I lived in the area they’d be awesome, I’ve yet to play one worth stopping for like that.

Too many other good choices

Woodlands is a really cool laid-back vibe and it couldn’t be closer to 64. Again, both there and OV are likely to have a lot of play, so call in advance.

1 Like

All good advice. Appreciate the help fellas.

1 Like

Agree. If they were better I would have saved myself a nice chunk of change in membership dues and initiation fees at private clubs in the area. That being said don’t let me get on a heater at Red Wing!

1 Like

While I’m thinking about it, any news on the Sig at West neck? No buyers yet?

Have heard nothing and I can’t imagine that’s great news. I very rarely get down to that part of town, but would be interested in seeing just how far gone it is at this point. From what I understand, the HOA is requiring the owners to continue to do some sort of minimum level of upkeep so the course isn’t an eyesore for the homeowners, so hopefully someone can buy it and reclaim (or improve) the course pretty easily.

1 Like