Roll Call: Virginia

Heading down to Kingsmill tomorrow-Thursday. For people who’ve gone before/are members, are either course walkable? Deciding whether or not to bring my push cart.

2 Likes

Yes its walkable.
No I wouldnt bring mine
Its just kind of “off” for the general vibe flow to what I’ve seen.

and full disclosure we know an employee and play cheap and tried to get out a cart fee once and he told us we needed to ride for that reason.

1 Like

Got it, thanks for the info. I was supposed to have an employee hook up for golf but it ended up falling through. I booked it anyway though haha

All are walkable. The Plantation is a little bit goofy and full loop with no half way house. If you are playing it the greens are fun, course is short, pack snacks and drinks.

The River Course is walkable with a few crossways that add to the walk but all in all not bad. Both courses are fun. Have a beer on the river.

I will be out there this weekend!

Where do you play near Reedville? Maybe heading that way for a day trip.

There isn’t anything out there really. Kings Carter closed last year I think. That was shaped by Andrew Green, sold off to an office park developer.

I believe the only course left in Northumberland County is at the Tides Inn: https://www.tidesinn.com/golden-eagle-golf-club/

Let me know where you end up playing!

1 Like

If you venture across the Rappahannock, there is Piankatank River Golf Club. Pretty challenging course with a little bit of elevation on the front and a couple holes along the river on the back. Ive prob played it a dozen times and have fun each time. Prob 45min from Reedville.

2 Likes

@mintbucket To build on this, if you’re willing to drive an hour+ your options get a lot better. You can get to New Kent in about an hour + 15 minutes through white stone, etc.

2 Likes

Aug 19- sept 6 primland is only $135 with a voucher to play again for 175 in the fall.

I know they punch right before this, but if anyone is interested I think I’m gonna check primland off the list during that time.

You will not be disappointed.

Just an FYI, Raspberry Falls was hit by several flash floods in the last week or two. Did quite a bit of damage, lost most sand in bunkers, asking you not to play out of them, putting green is closed, fairways and greens are a mess, and the bridge over to 18 green was completely washed away. Decent enough for a discount teetime but dont pay rack anytime soon.

4 Likes

Anyone know of a good place for a putter fitting somewhat close to northern VA? Hesitant to pay $100 for a simple putter fitting at CC unless I absolutely have to…figure there has to be a SAM puttlab somewhere around with a $50 fee or waived/discounted with purchase?

$50.00 at Westfield Fitting Studio. I used Larry for irons and woods. I didn’t get fit for putter there but plan too soon.

https://www.golffittingstudios.com/our-rates-1

This is where I went, big fan, I had Todd who was great

My dad was fitted at Westfields too, lots of good things to say.

I haven’t been fitted at Goldfom, but have friends who have and they’ve got good things to say about getting fitted there too.

I didnt do a putter, but did driver and shafts for irons at Golfdom. Very reasonable (100 bucks for about an hour+ of hitting with the trackman and having some very nice advice/shaft selections). Would recommend, pick a rainy day, have them do your putter, and then hit on the trackman for another 45min.

1 Like

I was wondering how it held up. I played there last month after it had been dry for a week and there were still some really wet spots. Looking at where the flooding was I assumed they must’ve had some problems, I guess it’s a good thing it wasn’t actually worse. I’m surprised it’s even playable after all that.

When you play it again they are not as bad, it’s. Shocking the first time. I’ve played with reverse 9s which is ideal. I have heard that they are doing it more frequently.

1 Like

I played Independence in Midlothian yesterday as the last round of an extended road trip. Am I insane or is that potentially the best course in the state? Very weird, highly corporate atmosphere, but the course is just jaw-dropping and so well maintained.

3 Likes

I grew up in the neighborhood independence is in! It really is so so good but I agree on the vibe. It kind of lies between the country club scene and the guys playing money games at local publics, so whenever I’m up there it leaves me wondering who really plays there.

1 Like