Roll Call: Virginia

sick. very excited to try it out tomorrow. All the reviews have been great.

Winchester is now considered NOVA?

20 years ago people would laugh when I said I lived in NOVA and told them it was Manassas :rofl:

1 Like

haha geographically yes… “NOVA” ‘NOVA’ though… especially no 20 years ago haha

1 Like

Everyone around here says it is NOVA! I just consider it an extension of WV because of how close it is to the border and all the redneck crack heads.

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Been in Alexandria almost 15 years commuting into the city for most of them, even though you’re a WVU fan (Pitt alum here), I’ll be happy to answer any questions you have.

Hello, I have been a member of the VSGA VIP for about 8-10 years now. In my opinion it is the best deal around. However to get the most out of it you have to be able to play during the week. There are restrictions around many of the courses such as Monday- Thursday, after 12 PM and no holidays. I estimate I have save about $600 to $800 a year. Please note we try toto only play courses on the card as we call it to save money.

2 Likes

I’ve looked at joining the VSGA. They have a couple of events in the area, like at Winchester Country club. Since it’s private I could never play it so joining would allow me to play new courses which would be nice.

1 Like

Deal.

I got an email and a membership I guess through the grint ghin # now…the courses did look really cool and for the money def worth it, trying to talk at least another buddy into buying that so I have sometime to ride with me on the rounds

Long-time NOVA resident, spent years playing the public game (Algonkian, Brambleton, Reston, Herndon) with some special rounds thrown in there (Raspberry Falls, Whiskey Creek [MD], Laurel Hills). Joined Hidden Creek in downtown Reston about 5 years ago - loved the course layout but suffered through bad maintenance and management. It was sold to developers about 18 months ago, and they are not hiding the fact they want to turn it into condos. So maintenance and management got worse somehow, and I finally decided to leave the crew I played with almost every weekend and joined Chantilly National. Two primary reasons - I can afford it (unlike the big boys around me - Trump, Belmont and River Bend) and it gives me access to other ClubCorp courses in the area and around the country. I’m still new, so learning the course and membership, but I’ve already taken advantage of the ClubCorp network down to play for free down in Hilton Head next month. I’ll keep people in the loop as I get to know the place better, and if you want to check it out, let me know.

3 Likes

I’ve only played the Palmer Course at Bay Creek, but I was unaware that they were turning nine holes of the Nicklaus Course into a nature preserve/bird habitat.

I heard a few months ago that the amount of play / revenue did not support maintaining 36 holes at the level that they want. They felt it is better to have 27 in great shape than 36 in so-so shape.

1 Like

This makes sense and I hope it proves to be the right move in the next years or so. I went to Bay Creek last spring and kept thinking how amazing this land was for golf, but also how much better it could have been with a little TLC. Really is a unique setting for Virginia golf.

1 Like

My girl friends family are members here so we play about every other week. They have already begun a lot of work and revamping the clubhouse which has been promised for several years but never pulled the trigger. It will be interesting to see how things turn out and most likely going to be a member only course unlike in the past when one course was for the public and one for the members depending on the day.

Yeah, I know a few folks who take short buddies trips there. My worry would be that 27 instead of 36 might keep some folks from coming out for long weekend trips. If they can convince visitors that playing 27 a day is better than 36 (it really is for most people who aren’t sickos), they will be fine.

I think for returning customers, they’ll be OK with the 27 hole option, because you can’t get that type of golf in Virginia at many other places, especially with the lodging options they have. Now for first timers who are planning a buddies trip, I think it will definitely suede them away from Bay Creek and they’ll look at other options, which is unfortunate.

From what i remember, the front 9 of the Nicklaus was waaaay better than the back and had some amazing views of the bay. So it looks like they made the right decision at least.

Anyone in the lower western part of the state on here and interested in a skins game coming up? Considering the 25th of April right now, usually have 8-12 guys, play $25 fun skins kind of deal. Looks like most of the refugees are from NOVA in this thread

Welcome to Chantilly National! I also just joined here in December. I have a few friends that joined at the same time as well. Still a member at Evergreen CC, but decided to join Chantilly, as it’s closer to my work/house and more affordable. I have used the Club Corp perks for some of the local courses (Piedmont/River Creek), and there are some more that are coming online in the spring (Dominion Valley/Belmont/Oak Creek). Let me know if you wanna get out for a round and a pint.

Has anyone on here played/been to the Army Navy Country Club? I’m thinking about joining a club next year after I move, and that would 100% be the most accessible from DC. They’ve got a ton of golf, but does anyone have info on their practice facilities or anything? I emailed the membership folks about dues and junior memberships—so I imagine they’ll give me some of that information—but it’d be good to hear from someone moderately more impartial. Thanks in advance.