Roll Call: Virginia

Also should have included some pics of RNK in my post. Here you go!

3 Likes

Hey guys new to the Refuge. I am the assistant golf professional at Lake Presidential in Upper Marlboro MD. Just reaching out to see if we have any big NLU fans in the Maryland/DC area. I am interested in putting together a little meet up for some NLU guys here and having a fun day of golf out here at Lake Presidential! There is a cool link to see the course with a flyover

https://www.lakepresidentialgolf.com/course_flyovers/

7 Likes

arlington/alexandria wont be too bad as you can at least ride the metro…going to be a far different experience and commuting into DC than say folks in centreville or manassas, etc would have

good luck to you, plenty of NOVA guys on here that can help you out

1 Like

The alexandria/arlington part of dc is about 30-45 minutes away from here depending on traffic.

These are great! Thanks for sharing. I’m excited to play! I’ll report back.

1 Like

Just signed up for the VSGA one day tournament/event at Hermitage Country Club in October. Any other VA Refugees register for any of these events? Anyone on here a member at Hermitage CC? May need a practice round before October lol

1 Like

I’ve been considering doing this to get some tournaments rounds under my belt, just not sure if I’d make a fool out of myself. What HCP do you play to if you don’t mind me asking? And they flight this, correct?

1 Like

I spoke with a VSGA employee about them as this is the first time I’ve heard of these events and it seems like a cool event. Basically VSGA members showing up on these days at these nice courses and playing a tournament with shotgun starts. I’m a 10.2 HCP at the moment but in reality probably like a 15 due to the lack of playing here lately. I did see some indexes of some other people signed up and some were in the 20’s so all are welcome to play. And yes, they do flight based off HCP index.

1 Like

I am friends (foaf really) with a member at Hermitage. He is a +1.7 and wins a lot of the tournaments around here. I would assume that if he plays, he is probably on the short list of favorites to win that event. I can ask him about a practice round the next time I see him if you like.

1 Like

I used to work at Broad Bay in Virginia Beach, and I remember they hosted one or two of these VSGA one-day tournaments every year. It was a good way for non-members and people from out of the area to get an opportunity to play the course.

I signed up for a VSGA Membership in January with the hopes that establishing a handicap would help me work on improving my game. I have never played a competitive round, but I think it would be fun to try at least once. It would also be nice to get out of the area and play a course with some elevation change.

Did you sign up via phone? I was trying to do it online, but it looks like calling is my only option if I don’t have a VSGA membership.

Definitely seems like a good way to play some private courses/higher end public courses for a decent price.

Not sure if I’ll sign up for Hermitage or not. I’m in Richmond and play at Salisbury and the Foundry if there are any regular Richmond folks that want to catch up this Spring.

Anyone have thoughts on the Laurel Hill course in Lorton?

They have a ‘jailbreak’ membership that lets you out 2hr prior to their Super Twilight that should give you time to finish 18. Seems like a great price with some nice benefits. I’m gonna try to play tomorrow and see if I wanna pull the trigger. Does anyone have this membership or has had one similar?

Apologize if this seems like a free ad, cause we obviously aren’t doing that here…

That would be awesome and greatly appreciated. No pressure though. I know HCC is private so need to have a few connections to get on the property. Thanks again.

I was already a VSGA member so was just able to register on their website. I think you have to be a VSGA member or at least buy the VIP card they have available for purchase for you to participate in the event but I could be wrong. I called them up at lunch time and the man that answer was really helpful in answering all my questions so I’d give them a call if you’re not a member or able to sign-up online.

I’ve never done the package you’re talking about but that course is awesome. Usually firm and fast in the summer with quick greens. One of my favorite courses.

1 Like

awesome thanks for the info!

Live right around the corner, they keep it in great shape all year long

Two thumbs up would recommend

1 Like

I just moved to the NOVA area from rural WV. I live in Winchester and am looking for some good courses to play. I’ve played a few in Front Royal, VA and some in Hagerstown, MD. Really just hoping to get some golfing buddies or join a course that has tournaments, scrambles, and a good men’s league like I had back in WV. Anyone have any suggestions?