Roll Call: Virginia

This is how it was when we were there in May, 2021. Then last year, in June, they were in great shape. Seems like they have some trouble figuring it out.

2 Likes

Has anyone played at Kiln Creek lately? I’ve never played there but have heard a few good reviews.

I’ve got a group coming down from the DC area for a golf trip this weekend. We’re playing our Friday round there, then a Saturday doubleheader at Riverfront and Sleepy Hole, and Sunday at Sewells Point.

RNK is a bermuda grass type place as, bermuda has not come in strong around here yet either.

Its bent season right now baby

Anyone with any interest in rare brown bottles you can’t get at ABC? Send me an email! Stopped drinking, so my loss is your gain!

1 Like

Congrats on the quit! Hope it goes well for you.

What part of VA are you in? It’s impossible to get anything that’s not mass produced in northern VA

Thanks man, pain in the ass but just didn’t need to spend the money or drinks the drinks hahah. In Roanoke, VA. I know how it goes, I lived in Alaska 15 years after growing up and graduating in VA. Needless to say my storage unit has whole other level of bourbon stashed in there as it is way easier to get up north. Thought I’d continue collecting or bringing bottles back, but I’m not a huge stash guy (love the Phish song, not the bourbon stash stuff as much). Switched to wine with nice dinner on a weekend night but that is about it for me.

My mom and sisters are up in DC, but really all over VA the past few years have been shocked at hard some of these bottles are to come by.

Let me know, been blasted all day with folks wanting to work deals for the Stagg and a few others. Really just want to to get rid of them all. I’m a member at Roanoke CC and they have started doing their own Maker’s Mark blend. Between that in the bottles in my dry storage in Alaska the other stuff needs to go. I hate seeing it sit around and collect dust.

Since you are NLU brother, I’d be willing to cut the price some as well. The old tube and green label are KY only deals. All the other stuff is what you see is what you get.

Let me know what works for you in collecting the bottles if you want them. I’d even thrown in a round at RCC old Tillie track private club on if you make it this way.

Have a good one!

2 Likes

Thanks! Not sure if you meant to post an inventory list or anything, but I’d potentially be in the market for any limited-release High West products, most any Weller products (I’m partial to the base green label stuff, used to be able to get handles of it for 30 bucks in Oklahoma, should have bought a case back then!), and of course Blanton’s if you’re willing to part with it for less than 3 figures.

Traveling this weekend (wedding season) so of course first dibs to anyone who can take things off your hands sooner! I’m up in Alexandria so would need to plan a bit of a road trip.

2 Likes

or just play in the 3BR in a month and ride with him?

1 Like

This is certainly a bit of a stretch… but then again so is trying to walk 100 holes in a day. That’s what I’m going to try and do on Monday as part of the National Links Trust’s 100 Hole Hike. For those of you hiding under a rock for the past three years, the National Links Trust was started by Mike McCartin and Will Smith with a mission to positively impact local communities by protecting and promoting accessible, affordable, and engaging municipal golf courses. Since 2020, they have been working with the National Park Service to operate, maintain, and revitalize D.C.'s three unique (and historic) municipal golf courses. It’s a mission I believe in strongly and a project I have been following closely… because these courses – especially East Potomac Golf Links – mean a lot to me.

I wasn’t a kid that grew up playing golf with my dad or anyone else for that matter. I didn’t pick up a club until I was in high school, and then promptly put them away for the better part of a decade. But over the last 15 years or so, golf took on new meaning and importance as a way to stay connected with friends. And during the peaks of COVID, it was my weekly escape – sitting in the parking lot at East Potomac with coffee in hand waiting for the sun to come up so I could get out and clear my mind.

While I may not have grown up with the game, I made it a point to bring my son to the driving range at East Potomac as soon as he could hold a club, and I treasure the time we’ve spent there since. It’s not the fanciest course or the most interesting. It’s pretty flat and with a couple of exceptions most of the holes run together. But it’s a special place full of interesting people, and it deserves caretakers like the National Links Trust who are committed to ensuring that it remains accessible, affordable, and engaging for everyone.

Kudos to you if you’ve read this far. The bottom line is that NLT is just under halfway to their goal of raising $160,000 through this 100 Hole Hike, so I’m pulling out all the stops to up my fundraising contribution.

If you’re interested in keeping golf in D.C. accessible and affordable, I hope you consider making a donation to my 100 Hole Hike. You can make a lump sum donation, or make various outcome-based pledges if you really want to explore the studio space. While prolific, I’m not very good, so just keep that in mind.

4 Likes

@Smidler @SammyShaf this a good deal?

@country35 this is Andy’s review from just last month, so as dry as it’s been for the last few weeks I’d be shocked if it’s in decent shape right now.

1 Like

good looking out. Yall getting all this run up there too? we needed it bad

1 Like

Yep. Should be some decent rain throughout the week, hopefully.

2 Likes

My neighbor said it was in pretty good shape yesterday.

1 Like

we’re looking at 5-6" this week, guessing no where in the commonwealth should look burnt for a few weeks

I took a look to see what day might be the best for an after-work round… it’s not looking promising this week.

1 Like

We’re forecasted less than 3 now.

Stonehouse has been focused on their restaurant this year. I think it’s nice. But it was definitely at the cost of some course maintenance.

1 Like

I literally made a semi scene recently at members board meeting at AP when they said they were thinking about building a new club house with a resty and bar. Nothing like strapping the club with debt that doesn’t offer revenue.

2 Likes

Dude these people don’t know how to run a golf course.

I asked about their membership options, as i live close. The monthly was insane.

They offer a range membership for $70 a month.

2 Likes

lmao you can be an after 12 PM member here for $53/month

1 Like