Roll Call: Virginia

Cheese Shop is hard to get to and usually a wait. I will honestly say that I have never had a bad meal at Peter Changs but I’ve only been to the one in Williamsburg once or twice so could be a location thing. The service could be better sometimes I will concede but the food is always great. I usually get Bamboo fish, Dan Dan noodles, and dry fried eggplant occasionally will mix in the bubble pancake and/or hot pot.

2 Likes

Wife and I went to W&M, live in Richmond, oldest daughter goes to W&M now. She has us take her to Amber Ox quite a bit. It’s pretty good (avoid the pork chop). Blue Talon is a nice place for a really special occasion. We go to Paul’s quite a bit, but it’s just for the memories. The food is ok. Spice Palace is pretty good cheap Indian food. Aticha is good for Thai.

3 Likes

Shout out to Peirce’s BBQ- no beer but famous locations

You all are awesome, thank you!!

Weather and availability permitting we’re hoping to play Colonial Heritage the first day, that night is probably where we’re looking for the best meal. We’re staying at Greensprings Resort.

Next day is Stonehouse first then Kiskiack in the afternoon then probably burgers and passing out. Hopefully time for casual lunch at Stonehouse in between

Royal New Kent is the last one we’re playing then maybe grab a beer on the way out of town.

Real excited for the trip, will report back.

2 Likes

Played colonial Heritage last time down there

Couldn’t believe the elevation changes on some of the holes

In general, I forget how some of those courses somehow feel like mountain layouts

4 Likes

They do to me whenever I get a chance to escape the flat courses in Virginia Beach.

2 Likes

yo…you got any interest in a Ryder Cup home/home type deal? Maybe one sat down here and one up there? That could be arranged quite easily.

3 Likes

Yeah I am down with that sounds like a good time

pretty much any saturday afternoons work for us. Long as they have a HC we can make just about anything work with match points and stuff like that. Max said he’s in for sure.

Anyone know what Spring Creek’s tee time policy is for non-members? I’ve been looking to get a time on a Friday but every time I look online all the Friday/Saturday/Sunday times are blocked out.

Update: got an answer on this one - non-members can’t reserve times on weekends until 48 hours in advance.

1 Like

Is anyone a member at Springfield CC, looking at the club and would appreciate any additional information or insight that could be provided?

2 Likes

Not a member but can reach out to a member for you.

Have played it plenty of times too.

My parents are members and I grew up playing junior golf there, happy to answer any questions you have.

Looking for some playing partners for a DTO birthday round on 5/10. Is anyone interested in playing in the Lynchburg area?

Richmond area folks, has anyone been out to Royal New Kent, Stonehouse, or Viniterra recently that can speak to the conditions?

Playing all three this weekend and surprised to see how many tee times are available. I know there is a chance of some weather, but hoping the courses are in decent shape coming out of winter.

1 Like

Maybe, there’s a reason all three courses struggle financially….

Haven’t played recently but Stonehouse looks good

1 Like

Mother’s Day…

3 Likes

Played Stonehouse and Vinatera 4/20/23

Vin was in real good shape then. Stonehouse has several greens that are stressed #1 for sure. The ones that do get sun are thriving. Fairways were fine overall.

2 Likes

Played Stonehouse and Vini with @mintbucket and I agree with his assessment. Generally RNK is in the best shape of the three. We are late enough in the year that the greens should be free of the winter sprigs.

As @SammyShaf said, all the tee times are because of Mother’s Day. I know that’s why I’m not playing.

So…a bit of a tough scene east of Richmond this weekend. Agreed with @mintbucket and @Smidler on Viniterra being in the best shape. A cool course in great condition. Shocking that that round was the cheapest of the three looking back.

Big recommendation for stopping in at New Kent Winery & Brewing right off property after your next round.

We had a fun time at Stonehouse, but that was because we hit the ball well and the forecasted rain held off until we were in the fairway on 18.

I would say 4 or 5 greens were in a real danger zone. The craziest thing to me were the fairways. I don’t think they had been mowed in over a week. After our drives, a friend said something about always loving a FIR on the first hole. I said “what?” because his ball was clearly in the rough…until I took another look and realized we were indeed in the fairway. It made the greens really interesting, because you couldn’t generate any spin or have the option to putt from the fringe, as the fringe was rough-length.

Royal New Kent…this bummed me out. This was my third time playing there, and the first two times the course was in really great shape. This weekend…not so much. A few tee boxes were unavailable…no big deal. The fairways were in as bad of shape as any that I have seen. The 8th and 9th holes basically didn’t have a fairway, it was just all dirt. Really hoping they can get something figured out there fast as that course is way too good.

Tough to see any value in $100 rounds at RNK and Stonehouse…so the open tee sheets make some sense now.