Roll Call: Virginia

Primland is nice if you have a couple G’s to drop. Like for real yeah.

Ballyhack has the same set up if you stay there. Both are top 200 courses and you wont go wrong.

As for a real nice course not far. Check out Poplar Grove. Was a state top 10 in amherst county (off 29) and they did major renov last year.

Its gonna be like 105 now to play vs 65 unfort but its maybe my favorite track in that part of the state.

2 Likes

Interesting. I didn’t recall Primland being that expensive, but my trip was also several years ago with part of it comped.

A friend is a member at Ballyhack, but I missed the trip down this past summer. I’ve heard great things about it.

I played Spring Creek once (it was AWESOME from what I remember) but that was probably 9-10 years ago so I can’t really speak to what it is now. Maybe someone else in the thread can chime in…

1 Like

I believe the cheapest room there for a night is like $400, plus $250 ish for the round.

BH is a once in a lifetime track. Worth the trip. I’ve only ever been on twice and I live 15 mins away.

1 Like

ITS A GEM!!!

I wish my friends weren’t so cheap.

Thinking about talking @Fore20 into playing there with me on 9/11 weekend

Good to hear it’s still awesome. Just looked at the rates and… it definitely wasn’t that expensive when I played it lol. Also private on weekends and holidays apparently?

How did you get onto Ballyhack?

I’ve actually seen hot rates online on weekends. I got on a sunday evening driving to ROA from NOVA, paid like 65.

If they don’t fill the tee sheet they’ll sell tee times for rack rates all day long, just don’t expect to book more than a day or two ahead

Well…

I had one of my good buddies, whose dad is a high roller here in the Roanoke golf world, call his other rich ass buddy for us. It was a one off day with 2 tee times for a bachelor party, and they did NOT extend the play all day rate. 165 for round plus forecaddy. The forecaddy at BH is NEEDED.

1 Like

that’s awesome

For the real on this suggestion…

Poplar Grove in amherst is worth the trip to central VA.

1 Like

Any good threads on NOVA/DC/DMV golf?

2 Likes

UVA Alum here. I think there is enough good golf in the area to not travel too far unless you want to play something like Ballyhack. I’ve never played Poplar Grove so no opinion there. Spring Creek, Keswick, or Farmington would be good places to consider if you have someone who can make a call for you. Birdwood, Old Trail, and Wintergreen are public. These are all within 30-45 minutes of Charlottesville.

1 Like

Heading home (Hampton Roads) area for a week on Sunday, any courses I should hit? Haven’t played much golf in the area the past 4 or so years.

Royal New Kent just reopened after an update

Had a good time when I played old trail - interestingly enough the neighborhood around the course is the same one from Evan Almighty

Hello, friends. Grew up in Chantilly but live in DC now. I’m a member at Woodmore, but still play plenty of golf in NOVA.

Probably not much has changed over the past four years, with the exception of Cahoon Plantation and The Signature at West Neck both shutting down. I haven’t played enough over the past two months to really give a good recommendation on what courses are in good shape.

wow I didn’t know that Signature shutdown as well.

Sounds like there was a bad ownership/management situation there and they had to shut it down because they couldn’t afford to maintain daily operations. I believe they are trying to sell the course to new owners, so it won’t reopen until then.