Roll Call: Virginia

i bet so man, im sure a lot of the members were pretty upset.

my folks live out on stonewall, i am constantly amazed in what a poorly run and maintained course that is every time i go home to visit them. has so much potential, yet seems to fall flat every time i see it

I’ve played Oak Creek, decent course in a new neighborhood. The only downside was the fairway bunkers used to be stone. I don’t know if they ever filled them with sand.

I do think the options of playing several courses is a benefit. Can you only play them twice per month? Or can you play them for a guest fee after the first two?

random question…is your name steve?

I truly have no idea. I think there’s like a website you have to go through for tee times at other courses? After an extremely cursory google search, it seems like the 2 green fees/month applies to clubs more than 100 miles from your home club. But again, I have no idea.

It is.

small world…we have some mutual friends apparently

you still playing softball with Tru? good friend of mine played with them this year and maybe some of last

ahh okay…
Man, I haven’t played with them in years. They have come a long way, and have a great team.
I’m all but retired from softball. Spend most of my time chasing the little white ball.

1 Like

you and me both brother…i look back at all the weekends i wasted on the softball field and kick myself

i grew up with josh brown and frankie hogan, played little league ball up through HS with them, etc

just sent you a friend request

Haha likewise! All the money and time wasted, chasing a ring. I give props to those still going after it.

I know both them cats… played a lot of ball with and against them. Solid dudes, even better ball players.

1 Like

pretty cool man…next time im up that way and its reasonable golfing conditions im going to hit you up so we can get a round in

Sounds like a plan! Anytime!

1 Like

Grew up in Fairfax, played golf at USNA, and lived in Va Beach while in the Navy, so have played all over the state - mix of public and private. Currently living in NoVa and a member at Army Navy CC (and happy to host any other NLU Nest members - DM me if you’d like to get out to tee it). Favorite VA track is Kinloch (I think it’s underrated nationally and should easily be inside the top 50 in the US), followed by RTJ.

4 Likes

Any current/previous members at Chantilly National?
Looking for opinions on the member/membership there.

Took the young professional deal at Lansdowne a few years ago, way closer to home.

2 Likes

The A.W. Tillinghast designed Belmont Golf Course in Richmond will be managed and operated by The First Tee starting January 1. Looks like the course will be closing for 18 months for an “extensive renovation.” Some of the info that’s been released says they’re turning it into a 12 hole course and adding a 6 hole short course and a short-game practice area. Hopefully this will bring some success to a municipal course that’s been on the chopping block for the last few years. Link to the full release.

2 Likes

Hey everyone. New to Alexandria as of late November, moved from Baltimore via Annapolis. Looking for suggestions on courses to play in the area, people to play with, and leagues. Only been playing for a relatively short time (less than 2 years) and consistently shooting low 90s. I’m happy to get out with anyone to play.

1 Like

Question for the thread - Is there another solid course in the area that I could add onto with SchoolHouse 9? My brother is graduating from UVA this year and I want to get up there for a golf weekend before he heads out.

Thinking fly into Cville, go play Schoolhouse 9 saturday AM, drive somewhere else and either play in the afternoon or play Sunday and come back. Would like to stay the night near 2nd course ideally. Maybe a little B&B golf resort or something?

Birdwood - UVAs course is opening back up this spring after a major redesign and is about 2 miles from campus

Route 29 is kind of dead for golf between Cville and Sperryville but you may be able to catch 81 and get some courses in the mountains closer to Harrisonburg

1 Like

A friend is a member at Army Navy CC, so I play there a fair amount. Those courses have really grown on me over time and present some really fun shots/choices. I love the Fairfax courses in spring/early summer.

1 Like

It is kind of a long shot, but you might consider Primland. It’s a beautiful area, but it’s in the middle of nowhere. You’d have to drive there Saturday (3-4 hours) from Cville, spend the night there Saturday, and play Sunday. You could fly back out of Roanoke.

The distance might be a nonstarter, but it’s a cool course. It’s just a tough trip.