Roll Call: Virginia

@country35 isn’t that where yall played this summer?

Bummer. I played cahoon probably 200 times growing up so was sad to see that one close too.

1 Like

yeah I shot 79 at sig at west neck on Aug 19, low round of the group outing that weekend hoe.

I mean there were def a few signs that track wasn’t doing as well $$$ wise as it should have been but I didnt see it closing

1 Like

matter of fact we had 4 free rounds there and that is why we even took that weekend trip to VA Beach

Signature at West Neck Closing Announcement FB Post

The comments to go along with this Facebook post will give more insight than I can, but I hope the course reopens soon. The same with Cahoon, although that will be more of a challenge with the owner’s desire to build more houses on the land where the course lays.

1 Like

anyone around roanoke…

Old Monterey aint a good course by any means but this is a solid deal

25 for 18/cart/and lunch

I was just looking the Golden Horseshoe gold has a pretty great winter rate on supreme golf. And royal new Kent is great but a bit of a drive.

Are you looking at rates for the green or gold course?

gold. I’m not a fan of greens layout. The mounds off every fairway are un-natural.

I’m seeing $59 at 1pm.

playing the river course saturday, gonna be 63 here lfg

1 Like

Hampton Roads people… I highly recommend Bide A Wee. Had a GREAT walk out there yesterday. Greens were in awesome shape and the layout was as fun as I remember.

Sorry, I’m late to this; just joined recently. I’m in the Gainesville area and have worked at Stonewall for 3 years. From a service standpoint, what are some improvements that you feel need to be made? I’d love to have you out for a round the next time you’re in town to visit your parents, if you’re interested.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to reply and for the offer, that is truly appreciated.

i dont live in Northern VA and only go home a couple time a year to visit so my opinions on things are probably not a true representation of the course throughout the majority of the year, but i find myself often times disappointed when i go home.

as mentioned, my parents live on the course, so its not real hard to see the number of people that come through on a given day, etc from their back deck. in the past few year (5 ish?) its pretty safe to say that the weekends/holidays that i have been home, the course has far from a full tee sheet. my pops is not an avid golfer, plays in a few charity scrambles a year and has a group of 8 or so guy that he plays with once every couple months or so and has contacted the pro shop to see about getting the group of 8 out there during the week for a discounted rate and has been told no. as a result they end up playing at evergreen, as one or two of the guys he plays with are members.

when they get together and play its during the week and they always go into the brass cannon after a round for lunch, beers, etc which in my eyes more than makes up for whatever discount they would have been given on the tee times and the fact its during the week when the course isnt full is pretty disappointing. he has a been a patriot club member for a couple years on and off, despite not really even playing or putting that membership to use.

this was a couple years back when yall were still charging like $80+ for a weekday round in prime season. weekend rounds at the time were like $110 or something like that. i understand that prices have been reduced in the past year or so.

not taking the added revenue potential from the brass cannon into consideration in order to get 8 guys on the course during the week at a discounted rate when the tee sheet isnt full is the main basis for my comment about being poorly run. that just seems like real bad business and wasted opportunity to me.

outside of a starter was was adamant we wrapped up our warm up and teed off prior to our tee time, the staff was friendly during my last round in july 2018. i will definitely make it a point to come out and play at some point in 2020. when i came home during the summer of 2019 i ended up playing prince william and evergreen with a buddy rather than playing stonewall.

i will be sure to hit you up to say hello next time i am in town. again, thanks for the reply and reaching out to see how you could help improve the overall experience.

Thanks for the response! I think The Refuge can be a great place to learn from the experience of others, whether it’s at your home course or elsewhere, in order to grow and create better atmosphere. We were in a bad spot with a bottom shelf management company a few years ago; zero communication, the covering up of the lack of funding to investors, burning bridges with equipment and apparel companies, etc. As info came out about the management company, we broke ties with them immediately and brought back a previous GM and hired a new Head Pro 2 years ago to help right the ship/get things headed in a positive direction. We definitely have many more improvements to make but personally I feel that we are making strides to provide an excellent customer experience. Thanks for providing feedback; it means a lot and is very helpful and I hope to see you the next time you’re in town!

2 Likes

honestly this explains a lot, as most of my personal experience and my dads experience with the course would have been under this management; hearing this from you makes me feel like my sentiments were warranted, but also makes me feel like there are steps being made in the right direction to correct what was done.

that being said, i will 100% play a round of golf out there next time i am home visiting so i can provide some additional and updated feed back for you under the new regime

1 Like

yeah better bring Joe too

Any NOVA refugees care to play tomorrow? Wife has a friend over and has had a few bottles of wine = me sneaking out on dog walking duty tomorrow.

1 Like

This is really great to read. My last visit, about a year and a half ago, I could see some signs of this. I’ll be sure to check it back out in the next few months!

2 Likes

you live up that way?