Roll Call: Virginia Beach

I prefer Riverfront personally, minus the long drive out there, but both are good and fun. If you like to walk I would definitely say VB Nat’l

1 Like

Ok fellas, so my trip to Sandbridge is still set for Masters weekend. We got connected through one of my other playing companions to get on at Princess Anne Country Club. I have not been out there, but is it a good setup? Outside of that, we are probably planning to stick a little more local with Heron Ridge, VA Beach National, and potentially one other round. Have to decide the companion round for a 36 hole day on Saturday. Probably leaning towards Honeybee, but how close is the drive to either Cavalier for a meet up with @slimreaper87 or to get to Broad Bay with @Chuckwake if you guys are available? We are only a group of 3 now, not a foursome.

Princess Anne is good that will be a treat. If you’re asking how far Cav/Broad Bay are from Sandbridge - they’re both about 30 min drives. They’re also both close to PACC if that’s what you’re asking. Happy to host still just let me know what works for your group

Couple quick ?s…going to have more time than usual in tidewater area the 7-9 this year due to covid stuff keeping the jamboree stuff to a minimum. That being said…

1. How is riverfront in suffolk? trying to decide about nams, vbn, or riverfront as we’ve neve been to riverfront.
  2. Anything to avoid in general?
1 Like

Nams is closed I’m pretty certain. But riverfront gets my vote then vbn. Lived on VBN for a few months and liked it but was always so packed and doesn’t drain too well.

1 Like

Appreciate it bro. I liked that nans course a lot when we played there, hope that is not a permanent closure

Riverfront - just take a cart

1 Like

have an extra spot at 11:38 at riverfront next friday the 7th if anyone is interested holler at me

Very late notice here, but I’ve got two open spots for a 10:40 at Stumpy Lake today

playing sat at 3 at royal new kent, 2 spots open and can buy a pass for $94 for 2 to play with cart at golf moose

1 Like

Heading down to VB for a bachelor party next weekend. Anyone played VB National or Heron Ridge recently? How were conditions? Any tips?

I was just down there on business about a month ago and played VB National. I was not impressed. Greens weren’t great. I haven’t played Heron ridge. Depending on your schedule take a look at Riverfront in Suffolk, VA. not too far of a drive from VB. Thats one of my favs in that area.

2 Likes

I just played riverfront 2 weeks ago and highly agree.

Greens were true and fast. LOTS of big complexes with unique features. Fairly open and not too long. I shoulda had a great round but 2 swings ruined it.

9/10 will be on my list of plays in the area.

Royal new kent is worth the drive from anywhere too

Has anyone played Elizabeth manor recently? I used to be a member when it went semi private and heard it got lengthened and is super plush right now.

@perrybarber11 I haven’t been out there in a couple years (was still previous management), but I know the new super has it in good shape and a good friend just played yesterday and said “fairways need a bit of work, but you’d be hard pressed to find better greens in the area”

@jmac12 haven’t been to either in a while but recent word is VB Nat’l coming back in pretty good and Heron a little rough…

2 Likes

Fwiw- had a great time down at VB Natty and Heron Ridge. Great weather. Fast, good greens. Only complaint would be Heron ridges tee boxes were in rough shape, both courses fairways and greens were great, a lot better than I’m used to in Baltimore county. Everyone at the pro shop who we talked to were awesome and super welcoming. Would love to see the Strapped Boys do a VB weekend!

2 Likes

Haven’t played Hell’s Point in a decade or so. What happened? I mean, other than Rees Jones…

Going to be in Sandbridge 6/13-6/20. Anyone teeing it up next week?

I ended up playing VB Natty and Hell’s Point.

VB Natty was in GREAT shape. The green were a little slower then they look. $28 to walk weekday afternoons btw.

Hell’s Point was a BLAST. What a fun layout with clever bunkering (and the bunkers were good!). Little shaggy here and there but I thought it was well worth $35 on a weekday morning.

3 Likes

I played Hell’s Point yesterday for the first time in a couple of years. The greens were in pretty good shape. My main gripe with the course is that you if you can be 5-10 yards off the fairway and have zero chance of finding your ball.

It has been wet every time I’ve played there (although we just had a lot of rain, so I bet a lot of courses in the area are wet as well).

Apparently GolfNow was double booking tee times with the course, so that was a fun little cluster at the start of the round.

1 Like