Roll Call: The Duck Club | Canadians, Beer and Cow Pastures

It’s funny, I played both courses at Kananaskis a number of times when I lived in Calgary (all pre-flood closure / rebuild admittedly) and was always so-so on them. Don’t get me wrong, they’re great and fun but I always felt the setting carried them further than the actual golf courses would elsewhere.

Now, that brings in that point that people make about Pebble Beach, for example. That thing of, “Pebble wouldn’t be that highly rated if it weren’t by the ocean.” But, IT IS by the ocean and so it’s that much more highly regarded. Same with this - that terrain and those views go a long way to make that golf experience so cool.

You also make a great point about value with those two. Banff is stunning (and the historical aspect is real too) but it ain’t cheap. For golf in that setting, Kananaskis really is terrific value for money.

2 Likes

Pebble is a great parallel. Banff is a marginally better course than Kidd in my mind, but any of those mountain courses the real experience is playing in the mountains and if you can do that for 36 holes for the same price as 18 I would take the 36.

3 Likes

Cabot Links*
Banff
Capilano
*Played it but want to go more.

4 Likes

With Banff, I really wish they had the original routing with the current dramatic tee shot 15th being the opening hole and the awesome current 14th being the closer. I totally understand why it changed from an infrastructure point of view, but it is less good. That said, Banff is a super fun course with incredible views. For better value, go on your birthday week if you can - there is a roughly half price discount.

Kananaskis, especially at the Alberta resident rate really good value. Kidd is definitely the better of the two, but it is also a great place to spend all day playing 36!

Middle of February it is!

2 Likes

Hi All, I just joined the Refuge but have been listening for a long time! Also from the Toronto area!

10 Likes

Welcome Keith!

Nice timing - I believe we just had a spot open up at Osprey on Sunday morning… how’s your schedule at 0900? (cc. @thesaxemachine)

We have a large handful of people getting together for a round on the Hoot course - 0900 and 0915 tee times.

6 Likes

Cheers guys, checking in from the west end of Toronto. Happy to join the crew! How/where did everyone play this weekend?

11 Likes

Welcome Thrill! I’m newer around here too. This weekend I was at my home course out north of Guelph. Hoping to play more around the GTA soon but hard to spend that cash when all the courses are going to be waterlogged for the next month.

2 Likes

Welcome! Played in Muskoka at Windermere G&CC. A reasonable course that sadly gets a bit over watered but is still fun to play. Slapped it around mostly as a practice trying to figure things out. Eagled the par 4 18th which was nice!!

2 Likes

It’s a MAJOR week!! And for the first time in a while I am lamenting having cut my cable cord. Anyone know of Canadian accessible streams for the event by chance? Even paid one’s I would be open to I just can’t justify giving Rogers any more of my $.

1 Like

If it’s on TSN (haven’t looked into this yet) you can sign up for a week’s pass for the app. Others probably do the same.

2 Likes

Welcome @ThrillHouse and @1Goodman if we haven’t already said hello. A friendly reminder to sign up for the Canada/Ontario chapters of the RACDGD. Makes it easier for us to connect and organize events.

The Royal & Ancient Company of Dishonourable Golfers - Golf Society (UPDATED ROSTER -Post #1684)

CC @KeithCapstick

4 Likes

It is on TSN! Excellent news. Thank you

2 Likes

Never more thankful for duel monitors than when TSN has a major on.

:laughing:

9 Likes

Heading west to the vancouver kids this week, may have a monday aug 10th free day to golf if any locals are up for it. Busted out on my hope of capilano on the trip as they’re saying no to guests for covid. Will be playing fraserview, ledgeview, mccleary and ? Monday?

1 Like

Update: played Cobble Beach with @duncmitchell last week. What a treat. First 6 holes were pretty tame, resort-ish, but fine. Then it gets fun. #7 has a killer reveal, and 8 is as close to a true Redan as you’ll see without the back bunker. Just sublime. Coming in and going out are nice, 11 has a great green, and 12 is a wild swinging par 5. Then there is 13 which features a gulch short left and a stunning green complex.
14 is a reverse Redan. 15 is one I’d like a do-over on. Short par 4 that you could possibly drive but there is a dry bed and rocky creek in front that may bounce your ball anywhere. Pot bunker short left that I had fun in. 16 has a tiny green and requires good placement off the tee.
17 is their signature hole where you see the lighthouse. Its pretty basic but great aesthetics.
18 was as great finisher. Reachable par 5 back up towards the clubhouse. Parking lot is in play, or so I believe.

Thanks again @duncmitchell for a super fun round. Lots of NLU lingo used. More of the “you hate to see it” lines dropped than one would like, but plenty of “siiiiiick” to compliment.

I highly recommend.

10 Likes

Ledgeview might be my favourite course in the area! Heads up, greens break more towards the valley than you’d expect.

Thanks I’ll try and remember that. I’ve played there once 2yrs ago and really liked it as well so definitely looking forward to another crack at it.