Roll Call: The Duck Club | Canadians, Beer and Cow Pastures

Played it yesterday and course was in great condition! (although they need to cut a few trees back that shelter the red tees - got Dikembe’d on a couple of otherwise solid drives!). Definitley had a few puts that ran funny until I notice where the valley was located :slight_smile: Look out for #10 where I holed out for my 2nd ever eagle!

Looks like the 2024 Pres Cup is coming back to Montreal.

3 Likes

I’m really “meh” on this. I love that it’s coming to Canada, but I really wish they would go somewhere way more interesting or out west.

6 Likes

Only positive about it being Royal Montreal is the ability to actually driver there from the Maritimes. Might have to keep an eye on this.

3 Likes

I don’t mind RM. At least it isn’t Glen Abbey but yeah there are plenty of better options out there.

1 Like

That’s pretty much how I feel. I don’t hate RM. I just wish it was somewhere else and I’m very glad it isn’t the Abbey.

This is great because I might get a chance to go but agree that it would be great to head elsewhere for it. We’re a big country with lots of great golf available and the west coast doesn’t get the golf it deserves. Feel like Mickelson National could possibly setup well for something like this too

4 Likes

I feel like Mickelson was built for these types of tournaments. They have to be disappointed. It is seeming unlikely the open will ever go out west again, so unless they can create another event (unlikely) they might be on the outside. Maybe they can grab the Shaw event on the Champions tour, and with the Manulife event disappearing maybe they could grab the LPGA too?

Or the Canadian Golf Grand Prix on the PGL.

6 Likes

With all of the complaints about ESPN+ in the PGA Champ thread, I’m glad TSN is picking up the feed. Helps me ignore the massive internet/cable bill for a short period.

2 Likes

Any of the Alberta crew getting in on this 50/50 madness?

Calgary had about 2 feet of snow the first week of October last year so I don’t know if a late Sept Presidents Cup will ever be in the cards. However; with the Canadian Open now preceeding the US Open I could see the tournament coming out west again when the US Open is on the West Coast. 2023 with the USO at L.A.C.C. would have made the most sense but they gave that to Hamilton.

Who knows, maybe it will take the PGL to make it happen.

1 Like

It would be helpful if Mickelson had a clubhouse. Totally agree - Presidents Cup would be too risky weather wise. Shoulder seasons here are highly volatile. Could be 25, could snow.

Canadian Open early June would be perfect for US Open years where it is west.

2 Likes

Yup - it’s been crazy. I’d guess in the last three games the Oliers Community Foundation probably tripled its typical 50/50 revenue for a total season. I’m guessing the province looks at the interest and legalizes online sports books in the next couple of years to add a new revenue stream.

1 Like
6 Likes

Yeah, was actually out there last weekend and chatted with the head pro. They’re at the drywall stage of a smaller shop to move out of the current trailer, but full clubhouse likely wont be started till sometime next year. Course needs a few years to mature before hosting a premiere event anyways.

Played it in 30K winds, soo much fun

3 Likes

Should get the Calgary crew out together there soon.

2 Likes

The timing is perfect. I think it more has to do with RBC not wanting to leave the GTA for the open. I think it’s an awesome idea to move it around the country. I see the point about Presidents Cup weather, never lived out there but we’ve all seen the “Calgary has snow today” posts.

2 Likes

I’m an Oilers fan and the fact that the 50:50 is the most consistent thing about the team is the most Oilers thing ever,

5 Likes

National Opens should never be confined to one region. That would be so stupid. Imagine the Irish Open never leaving Dublin, or Scottish Open only in Edinburgh, or US Open only around New York City.

2 Likes