Roll Call: The Duck Club | Canadians, Beer and Cow Pastures

Yes hole #9. I have long lamented and complained about that green in particular. Almost impossible to hold for 99% of golfers.

I’m close to Guelph. Ever played Guelph Lakes GCC?

2 Likes

My buddy Glen is a pro over there. Love playing that place with him! Fun course for sure.

1 Like

It’s a fantastic place, good value for the $$$.

1 Like

We have some fans of Springfield too - always enjoy the walk there. Especially enjoy making birdie or triple on 18. There is no inbetween.

1 Like

I have only played there once. Enjoyed it throughly, even thought it had just been aerated. I play 95% of my golf at Wild Winds GCC. Great membership prices for those of us <35 y/o.

2 Likes

Hellll yea.

1 Like

I live in Guelph! Let’s find a time to play sometime!
Have not played Guelph Lakes still.

Wildwinds is fun. Would like to get back there someday - havent been since before the pandemic.

1 Like

Let’s do it! Can’t wait for the snow to leave!

1 Like

Guelph Lakes is really fun, two years ago we took advantage of the play all day plus lunch deal for $100 and got a full 54 holes in. Finished in the dark and accidently hit up to a group ahead since we could barely see, and I got confronted by a roided out meathead in the parking lot. Hell of a fun day.

Wildwinds is also great, usually get out there once or twice a year.

6 Likes

@JosiahMcC hopefully you weren’t that meathead haha.

2 Likes

Haha that wasn’t me! That deal is unreal though, I have done that a couple of times!

Yeah I missed doing it last year but would do it again if they offer it this year.

I’m in Cambridge so close by; never played Guelph Lakes but I like Wild Winds and Ariss Valley I use to go to a lot when I worked out in Elora.

Can’t recommend Guelph Lakes enough!

hello all! long time, first time here, so apologies for any faux paus in posting.

i am heading up to muskoka for a wedding in july and have a foursome trying to play 3 rounds over the course of a weekend. the plan is to fly into toronto on a thursday, play friday, saturday, and monday. being the ignorant american i am, i have no knowledge of the general geography of ontario–i just know that i fly into toronto and driving up to stay at the sherwood in muskoka. what little research i have done seems to suggest we can find 2-3 course to play in that time period, but i am hoping to solicit a couple of recs. i appreciate any help!

6 Likes

How far are you willing to travel to each course? And what are you looking for in a course?

2 Likes

we don’t really have any defined parameters as far as the course type - we range from 9-25 with regards to our indexes.

logistically, it would be ideal if there was a course between toronto and muskoka for the friday round. our only constraints for the weekend are wedding events (6:30 friday; 4:30 saturday). anything within an hour probably would be best for saturday. monday we travel home but will probably have a bit more flexibility.

1 Like

These three would be the consensus three best in Muskoka - all convenient over the weekend if you need to be close-ish to the wedding venue.

TPC Toronto (Osprey Valley) has a ton of supporters too - many are saying its North America’s best 54 hole facility… Play Heathlands first, then Hoot, then North.

Golden age architecture at muni pricing? Check out Lakeview in Mississauga (across the street from Toronto GC, but slightly more accessible). Opposite direction from the airport to Muskoka, but legit one of my favourite courses of all time. They just finished a minor reno too, which apparently has been great.

https://beyondthecontour.com/canadas-top-100-public-golf-courses/ is also a decent resource - interesting top 100 public list. Covers Canada as a whole, but will give you plenty of options in the Toronto to Muskoka area.

4 Likes

Just a word of warning that the drive to Muskoka on a July Friday is going to be longer than the “normal” time, possibly significantly longer. If you’ve got to be in Muskoka for 6:30, you might be better doing the bulk of the driving as early as possible in the day.

3 Likes