Roll Call: The Duck Club | Canadians, Beer and Cow Pastures

Shiver me timbers!!!

Many thanks. :bowing_man:

Welcome to the Duck Club!

I’ve added you to the Duck Club group here so you’ll have access to our own small part of the board. Check out this post for all details and get registered on Golf Genius to get ready for 2023!

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/season-championship-season-2/79476?u=bigtimepolecat

1 Like

Also came across this RE: GolfTV

1 Like

Thank you kindly! Looking forward to 2023!

1 Like

Thanks - I did some digging and saw that.

(Un?)Surprisingly there was not a lot of official coms on this from Discovery or GOLFTV.

Its not showing as part of their offerings for discovery+ either.

Gross!

:pirate_flag:

Thanks for that, I know a guy that uses IP masks for various geofence get arounds and maybe he can find a way to make use of these neat resources your friend is suggesting.

Err just checking this out, is sports donkey still cool? I’m getting some funky warnings about security going in. I’ve considered a sky sub in the past as a streaming get around, but having moar channels if they stream well would be sweet too.

1 Like

It’s IPTV so it isn’t exactly above board to begin with. I my friend hasn’t had any problems with it, but he also paid with PayPal.

Good write-up on the changes at Lakeview.

5 Likes

They did a great job. Smart investments in a muni and taking advantage of a window of opportunity. A little extra cash to blow up 12 wouldn’t hurt but hey…

4 Likes

Shameless plug - I wrote this one a few weeks back about Lakeview.
If I lived closer I would try and play here everyday. Played the revised course 3 times in the fall and fell in love with the updates. It is much improved

8 Likes

Very good read, thanks for that.

There’s a muni out here (Cedar Hill) that I feel could also use a good reworking. The problem is that, like Lakeview, the tee sheet is jammed (year-round, unlike Lakeview) and I’m not sure you could convince the municipality (Saanich) that there would be a return on the work. So I think this is more of a golfer’s dream than anything likely to happen in reality.

3 Likes

Yeah the key with Lakeview was the creek work driving the project, and the holes they worked on were along that corridor. I’d assume the winning argument with the city was more along the lines of making additional state of good repair investments while infrastructure work they deemed necessary was being completed – rather than anything related to golf architecture. Might as well add ~5% to the budget now than the equivalent of 20% down the line, etc. Good on the super and architect for taking advantage.

Maybe some of those cedars start to die off from a mysterious disease? Maybe the hills start to erode rapidly? :wink:

2 Likes

That’s another thing about the site, while it’s named for Cedar HIll, it’s a Garry Oak habitat which makes doing mass tree removal a touchy subject.

Unfortunately, I think we’re stuck with it the way it is. Just one of those fun to think about things.

Edited to add: But if we are doing some Garry Oak removal, this centreline tree directly in front of the current 9th green is the first to go. Definitely some Yuck Club vibes.

3 Likes

This tree haunts me from my early 20s playing golf there… I can only imagine how big it is now!!

3 Likes

Garry Oak sounds like a bad guy

5 Likes

I suppose you could take note of the pin position as you arrive at the course and try to aim to that side of the fairway, but you’re blocked out like 90% of the time. It’s too tall to go over. Most of the time, your best hope is to play something to the edge of the green on the side you’re on and try to get up and down from there.

The trees on the left of 10 green are my next to come down. The back half of what is a pretty nice green site is basically unpinnable.

2 Likes

Counterpoint- that sounds sick

4 Likes

Hell yeah that centreline tree looks amazing!

Maybe the play is to aim directly at that road on the right and try to sling crazy hooks around the tree? And inevitably hit it dead straight and almost kill somebody because of course you don’t have that shot.

5 Likes

I feel this in my bones.

I’d aim directly at the tree and count on my swing to taker care of missing it. Either way. Don’t know which. But I’m excited to find out!

4 Likes