Roll Call: The Duck Club | Canadians, Beer and Cow Pastures

Ooo also at 15. Soon to be 16, will play Waskesiu soon.
I’ll always ride for both Kananaskis courses, what a pleasant walk every time.

4 Likes

Also, if anyone wants a good laugh, take a look at the inaugural ratings back in 2004: TOP 100 GOLF COURSES IN CANADA 2004 - SCOREGolf

7 Likes

Yiiiiiikes.

Banff 37th! Bahahaha.

10 for me (and 12 of the 125). Did my first true bucket list road trip summer and played Richelieu, Dundarave, Crowbush, the Cabots, Highlands and Algonquin, as well as two courses in Maine! Hoping to do a similar trip out west in the future!

3 Likes

Wooden Sticks top 40! I mean, with that many classic holes how could it not be…

8 Likes

hahaha Silvertip above Stewart Creek in Canmore is WILD. This is a blast to scan through - thanks for the giggles!

1 Like

Jeez I’ve played more on the 2004 list than this year’s. Seeing Glen Arbour in the top 20 is a trip considering how bad it was when I last played in 2020, although I think it’s private now…

Salmon Arm being 16 is the biggest surprise for me. I know some people now consider it a bit of a hidden gem that Golf North is running into the ground, but did not expect it was ever that high on any of these lists

2 Likes

Starting from Vancouver, the itinerary should be:

• Tobiano
  • Sagebrush
  • Predator Ridge
  • Tower Ranch
  • St. Eugene
  • Radium Springs
  • Eagle Ranch
  • GreyWolf
  • Kannaskis
  • Banff Springs
3 Likes

I’d tag on a second round one day at Canmore GC - a proper hidden gem in the Rockies. Its an absolute bargain compared to a lot of stuff in the mountains, but a total blast in the valley along the Bow river.

It isn’t a “block off the day to play it” course like the Springs, but sneaking a late-day second round after the Springs and lunch would be a beauty.

1 Like

I was thinking the kickoff would be driving from Vancouver to Calgary to meet up with @duncmitchell and whoever else is around and then start a proper Canadian Convoy back west to hit a lot of those bangers

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more Dunc!

4 Likes

If you’re going west, might as well throw Mickelson National into the mix too.

1 Like

Still haven’t been able to pony up the $150 for this yet. It’s on the calendar with Alex when he comes in September, and I’m sure I’ll see it once before then. But I need someone to come play it with me, and golf pals are few and far between here still. It’s been tricky to schedule much with the Calgary Nesters with our various travel schedules so far!

1 Like

When would this trip take place?

I’d never even heard of Salmon Arm until I found that list. Checked out some pics and it looks great! I’ve never played in BC, but plan to add that to my list if I ever bring the clubs out that way

2 Likes

Interesting! I’m hovering around a similar number (33 + 5 of the next 25). Should get another 7 in the Top 100 and 2 on the next 25 if I play my cards right before the end of the year.

Favourite Canadian course? Cabot Cliffs. Stunningly beautiful with an incredible routing and shaping.

Best all-around course? St. George’s. I think Hamilton and Jasper are going to challenge this one. Truly love both courses at Cabot too but being resort courses I think the time it takes to play gives them a bit of a knock down.

Best Conditioned? Coppinwood or Toronto Golf Club. Nothing out of place. Both so good.

Most Fun? Paintbrush

Favourite place to play with friends? Copetown Woods

3 Likes

Allegedly, Les Furber was a bit of a menace out that way and has quite a few courses in the region worth checking out as well.

2 Likes

Yes! Les Furber is the Doug Carrick of BC. Dude has done so many courses out there.

1 Like

TOTAL menace. Feels like every small town course in rural AB was his. The Links of Gleneagles in Cochrane is pretty sweet - target golf on a ridge, and not remotely linksy, but fun as hell nonetheless - and Maple Ridge is Calgary’s best muni. Crowsnest Pass is fun, Carnmoney is a great private in south Calgary too.

Didn’t realise Silvertip in Canmore was him. I get that its cool if you’ve never played mountain golf, but its just so far below the other courses in the area in my book.

2 Likes