Roll Call: The Duck Club | Canadians, Beer and Cow Pastures

I will offer a home and home with Mad River / Paintbrush to any Mad River members.

1 Like

Just came here to say “fuck Otter Creek”.

4 Likes

Honestly it’s fine. But there’s so much good golf around this should never get close to consideration. And it looks like you have some great rounds lined up, so it won’t matter. But don’t go here.

1 Like

Noted😂 I’m going to dig deeper into those listed courses soon, but Piper’s Heath and/or Eagles Nest seem to have the early lead.

Cobble is a ton of fun, and the greens are completely bonkers - cool as hell to chip around and roll outrageous putts. A genuinely neat course.

HOWEVAH… at full price it’s a huge rip off, and it’s out in the middle of nowhere. Long drive to get there, and to a second round. Plus, for full transparency, there is absolutely nothing linksy about it. It’s a hilly parkland course near a lake.

3 Likes

ALSO, I’m stoked you’re starting at Roseland. That spot holds a special place in my heart. God it’s so cool. Hopefully one or more of the crew in Windsor can jump in - shoutout @bordercity and @Phillongbird

3 Likes

Piper’s is nice! It won’t wow you, but it is a solid golf course and very well maintained. During the week it is a good value for money. Easy walk too.

Eagles Nest is great as well but I think the price isn’t quite worth it, especially during the week (its more expensive during the week - corporate outtings are a big thing for them). If you are already playing all 3 (or at least trying to) at TPC then skip Eagles Nest as they have similar characteristics.

Copper Creek is another good one to check out and I think it is worth a mention. If you are trying to fill in your Tuesday morning before Mad river then I recommend Copper Creek OR The Nest at Friday Harbour.

1 Like

I’ll co-sign this. Piper’s was my favourite public course go to prior to joining a club. Just very solid and great value. Eagles nest is good but not what it once was; in my mind Copper Creek is far superior as an option.

2 Likes

For Tuesday I’m leaning with The Nest. It seems like a cool course and it’s only 45 minutes from Mad River.

On Friday I’m trying to keep costs down a little because this is obviously not a cheap trip & I’m hitting a lot of higher dollar courses. Thanks for the heads up on Eagle’s Nest, that’s bizarre it’s more expensive during the week but good for them if they can sustain that.

I’ll look into Piper’s and Copper more tonight, I appreciate the advice!

Unfortunately Copper Creek must have events that day because tee times aren’t available that Thursday or Friday.

It’s probably a good thing because it will save money to play at Copetown Woods or Piper’s Heath. Mystic is under consideration as well, but Copetown seems like a solid course.

Eagles is more expensive in the week because it gets a lot of corporate play.

1 Like

This is a Duck Club favourite for a bunch of reasons! Only a couple of weaker holes, it’s generally a total blast. Relatively forgiving off the tee, the bunkering is great and the greens are pretty crazy for a public track.

18 might stink, but also it might be fine. My game definitely stinks, and maybe that’s why I don’t care for it. But 17 - especially with a back left pin - is a standout.

1 Like

18 and whatever it shares a green with mos def stink. But yes to whatever else Duncan says.

2 Likes

Sold! 2 and 18 both seem diabolical, but maybe I’ll catch a break. I’ll be there Friday the 8th if anyone else wants to come out. Will follow up with the full itinerary soon & then stop blowing up this feed so much from there lol.

1 Like

Dodged a bullet. I haven’t played Copetown but I can guarantee you it’s better

Once you’ve completed your trip, you’re going to have to come.back and give us a full rundown and ranking of the courses

1 Like

Lost 11 balls when I played Copper. The day Mister Saxe and I began… whatever it is we have. Honestly, it was a miracle he agreed to play with me again.

2 Likes

I absolutely will. Rankings are tough for me because I generally enjoy everything, but I’ll give full reviews.

Anyone know who designed Copetown? I have a weird thing with knowing whose courses I’ve played & can’t find a name for that one.

2 Likes

Dick Kirkpatrick. Found the answer in this story about CW. Worth a read.

2 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like