Roll Call: The Duck Club | Canadians, Beer and Cow Pastures

Hey all, thought I’d finally jump into the Refuge after watching many a Tourist Sauce or Strapped series. Also seemed fitting to get on here during Canadian Open week.

Currently live in Milton with no home base for golf - play wherever friends make a tee time that week. Most consistent thing about where my golf is the range at Piper’s Heath because it seems to be the best facility that I can access as a public player lol

Cheers!

10 Likes

You’ll be able to find some friends for sure. I’m in Cambridge, and there is a lot of KW and KW adjacent guys on here as well.

Another Brandon nicknamed Brando, why can people not be more creative with our name lol.

3 Likes

Milton here too. I usually go to Cambridge GC for practice. Great range, great chipping area, and very kid friendly.

1 Like

I’m in Newmarket, quite a few of us GTA or KW. It’s been a while since I got out to Pipers, wouldn’t mind a round this summer.

Stick around long enough and you’ll know why KW is italicized.

4 Likes

Is it because we’re awesome?

2 Likes

I grew up in Cambridge before ending up in Milton! So we’ve got that in common as well. Would be lying if I said I didn’t consider the move back that way for access to some cheaper memberships

2 Likes

If you ever up for a week night twilight game, my favourite haunt is Savannah. $40 after 3pm for 18.

2 Likes

What are the KW power rankings? Went to Laurier and never really got to go out and play, but love the region.

The KW locals on here do it based on Course Rating and Slope, picking the ones that least lower their cap for a +7 quota round.

4 Likes

My Canadian Friends,

I’m thrilled to finally be able to come visit from Michigan again. I learned of Clubcorp’s plans for Glen Abbey in 2020 and have been wanting to make sure I get there in case anything ends up happening down the road.

I’ll make the trip within the coming few months & probably make a four day weekend out of it. Some other Michiganders have been wanting to play Roseland in Windsor & I plan on getting to Glen Abbey. Where else should I try and go? I’m open to 36 hole days and am trying to play as much golf as possible.

Would also welcome anyone who wants to get in a round as I’ll probably be doing this one alone.

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

This might be a radical suggestion but your money could be better spent almost anywhere than GA if you’re on route from Michigan to Toronto (and beyond).
The eternal favorite Tarandowah
In town luxury Eagle’s Nest
Muskoka primo Muskoka Bay Club
Don’t let the brand fool you TPC Toronto (3 courses and probably the best bang for buck)

I’ll tag in @noslenod @duncmitchell @alhunter @jimmay @Bladetheist @bordercity for their thoughts as well.

9 Likes

Copetown Woods is also a favourite @MorikawaForPres.

You could also look at going to Cobble or Lora Bay.

Would have also said Rosie and Tarandowah, so that’s covered already.

3 Likes

I appreciate it! I know GA is overpriced & probably won’t live up to its price, but something about the history of all the Canadian Opens & the Canadian HOF make me think I need to visit once in case it does end up becoming housing developments.

Thanks again, I’ll start looking at these first courses you guys have mentioned

2 Likes

Listen if it’s a bucket list course I won’t try to talk you out of it any further. But we’ve got some strong opinions about GA although @BigtimePolecat might try to talk you into it.

4 Likes

To balance out Glen Abbey, you could also play the Strapped Canadian Open host, Lakeview. Fun municipal track just west of Toronto and good bang for the buck. Closed at the moment for some work but apparently opening up again soon.

6 Likes

Glen Abbey is definitely overpriced, but most Tour courses are. It’s still a fun track to play though.

If you make it to TPC Toronto, Heathlands is the best course there, despite the many rankings lists out there. All other courses mentioned above are worth checking as well

4 Likes

TPC Toronto is definitely on the list, but 3 courses makes it so hard to decide which one to play in itself.

I need more time, but there’s only so much money and vacation lol

3 Likes

An endless debate but my ranking is North, Heathlands, Hoot.

3 Likes

The exact opposite of mine. :rofl:

4 Likes

Happy to have you at my club Deer Ridge GC in Kitchener. You should also hit up @alhunter to play his course. As others have suggested, Tarandowah is a great option. Rosie is a must as well! Lakeview in Mississauga (check there is a construction project ongoing, not sure when complete) and Whirlpool in Niagara are old school fun courses.

2 Likes