Roll Call: The Duck Club | Canadians, Beer and Cow Pastures

yup, third vote for Kingston as the sensible stop- lovely little downtown. PEC is great, I grew up in the area, lots of good rec’s here, I’d add in Norman Hardie and throw in a big vote for the Drake too. You should try to find a way to mix in a round a Black Bear Ridge. It’s fantastic

3 Likes

I’ve never eaten here, but have heard really good things about http://edomaekiyomi.com/ in Toronto.

1 Like

I wanted to recommend Portabella but saw that it’s permanently closed. I got sad about that one.

1 Like

Oh also, if you’re into live music (especially americana/folk/alt-country stuff) the Dakota Tavern is the absolute best (Dundas and Ossington).
Tiny basement venue, this is the vibe:

7 Likes

Couple blocks up is a new-ish restaurant called Pompette - https://www.pompette.ca/.

I haven’t been there, and meandering story alert… I ate at a restaurant in Montreal called Hoogan et Beaufort. Very good, but not a complete standout. Anyway, our waiter, like a goddamn CHAMPION, scored us a table at Pied de Cochon for the next night. Complete miracle worker. I was bummed I couldn’t get in there / Liverpool House / Joe Beef given our short notice trip.

So, we’re talking and he tells me his BFF moved to Toronto and opened this place. Unfortunately I moved west before I got a chance to visit. It looks dope. Modern French - short menu - decent booze. Based on buddy’s awesome work getting me that table, I’d say take a chance!

2 Likes

I’ve always wanted to go here but never made it. Thanks for reminding me :wink:

Also, if you want some East-end flavour in Toronto. Gio Rana’s Really Really Nice Restaurant (aka The Nose) is a great stop for Italian. Descendant is also arguably the best pizza in the city. Detroit style deep dish, you know it’s Refuge approved

5 Likes

Gios is stellar.

1 Like

Oof, that bad? I looked up historic weather in early April back to 2015 and it seemed most of the time to be between around -5 to +15 (for highs and lows). Definitely not as pleasant if it’s -30.

Unfortunately my wife’s schedule is very strict in when she can have time off, so this is what we have to work with haha. We’re fine with embracing the weather, used to it at this point when we travel.

3 Likes

Scott is pulling your leg a bit. Your -5 to +15 is definitely the normal trend. Likely will hover around 5 degrees in early April and warmer in late April (could even be in the 20’s but most likely 10-15 ish). You’ll enjoy the trip. Lots to do in Montreal

5 Likes

That area is lovely for walking about. So much public art.

Walking about Mt Royal and McGill campus are also great outside activities. Edit: did not read your whole post before responding. Duck club hive mind

1 Like

Also the brewery scene in Montreal is a lot of fun

Oooh, the botanical gardens were an absolkute blast as well! Really nice change of pace from running around the city eating and drinking. A couple of hours very well spent.

1 Like

I never considered going to botanical gardens before the trap draw. In Vancouver it never felt necessary because we have great parks. But have been trying to play tourist at home more and checked out the botanical garden in Van and loved it! Need to get to Victoria’s at some point!

3 Likes

Same, we went to the Royal Botanical gardens in Burlington last spring during the lockdown then. Really enjoyed it

Does the insectarium in Montreal still have the leaf-cutter ants?

1 Like

This reminded me - Nagara has the Butterfly Conservatory which is amazing.

1 Like

Butchart is wild. If you want to fit in, bring your selfie stick.

4 Likes

This is a great brewery in PEC. https://matronfinebeer.co/

1 Like

Matron is wonderful! Maybe the best lager I’ve had in ON.

Slake is really cool too, and Parsons make some very classy stouts especially. Barrel aged, grown-up beers, that kind of stuff.

1 Like

I’ll add to the mont royal area recommendations. Lots to see and do. The rental bikes may be out? When you’re there but they’re an awesome way to get around when you need to go just little farther than you’re legs want to walk.

If you enjoy a tasty bakery item with your coffee, this place was awesome. It wasn’t mentioned but is worth a stop if you find yourself nearby.

Another sort of novel thing to check out if you want some outdoor things is to go check out the F1 track, you can ride around it on those bixi bikes. Vroom vroom

4 Likes

Same. Have lived in van 12 yrs and haven’t been. Should probably check it out!