Roll Call: The Duck Club | Canadians, Beer and Cow Pastures

Sharon feels like maybe I’m hurting his chances offering him straight up against you, so I’ll caddie for him. Early reports say I’m worth as many as 3 shots a side.

The reports don’t say whether I add them, or save them. A true ‘who could say’, I guess.

5 Likes

Duncan is definitiely worth a couple shots for a round. Club Championships T4 (4 shots back) after day 1 with Dunc on the bag. Finished 20th (12 shots back) without him on the bag the second day -_-

1 Like

Stupid “family time” keeping me from day 2. Waaaay in to trying to do this in 2022. Get me those dates when the club posts them!

1 Like

Dexter is definitely honourary Canadian!

2 Likes

We need a Roosts signing day. So many good logos we could have cool hats and everything to offically announce our allegiances.

1 Like

I told TAFKABB that you and he have to make a trip up to our place when you’re up. We’ll crank some beers and do a mega tour of Cobble Beach and Lora Bay, and then maybe a day hitting a couple of the local courses around here.

1 Like

In

Sentence

1 Like

Back on this… As long as things begin to settle down with omicron, restaurants are fully open and running, etc. then the plan is below for early April. Going to wait a bit longer to book anything, but just getting stuff in order. Would appreciate any recommendations you all have.

Day 1: Arrive in Montreal (evening) - Any recommendations on area we should stay since I know nothing about the city? We want to be walkable to most things, however we will have a car for later use in the trip, so anything outside of the city (or in other areas) to see/do is also welcome. We are also fine with paying to park where we stay as we imagine most places (airbnb or hotel) won’t have free parking. I’m also a maps nerd so even a screenshot with a circled area would work great.

Day 2: Montreal full day - Recommendations for food/bev/sites/etc (we are big foodies, especially asian cuisine if any niche spots, and a side note we don’t speak French)

Day 3: Montreal full day - Recommendations for food/bev/sites/etc (might see the Canadiens play one of our evenings if schedule works out)

Day 4: Travel to PEC in morning (approx. 4 hours) - Any recommendations for stopping on the drive, whether sites and/or lunch (or just get to PEC by lunch)? Also recs for where to stay here, along with food/bev?

Day 5: PEC morning, travel to Toronto (2 hrs), remaining day in Toronto - Any recommendations for stopping on the drive, whether sites and/or lunch? Any recs for where to stay here, along with food/bev? I am more familiar with Toronto and where the hub of everything is (went in 2016) but appreciate any suggestions.

Day 6: Toronto full day - Recommendations for food/bev/sites/etc. We also will still have the car if anything outside the city or in other parts to see/do.

Day 7: Niagara Falls, Back to Toronto to fly out in the evening. Any good lunch spots near the Falls?

Appreciate it everyone, looking forward to (hopefully) making it up north.

1 Like

Once you’re on the 401, I’d just focus on getting to PEC. The only place that might be worth stopping is Kingston, old city with lots of history. Nice downtown area where you could get lunch by the water.

Picton and Wellington are the main towns in the county with Picton being the bigger of the two with more stay options and restaurants. Few good breweries close to town too, as well as wineries of course.

Wellington has a few boutique hotels like the Drake Devonshire which will be on the more expensive side, but it does serve a pretty great brunch.

I’m moving to the area next week, so might have some more specific recommendations closer too your travel dates

4 Likes

Day 4, Polecat is right in that Kingston is the only place worth a stop. The only thing is if you want to grab a bite to eat at a restaurant there for lunch, you’re going to need to go about 15 mins off the highway to get downtown. If you need gas or fast food, get off at Division Street and there’s plenty just off the highway. There are some great restaurants down by the water though, Woodenheads Pizza, Stone City Brewers (a personal favourite for the beer), Atomica, Tango Nuevo ($$$), Casa Domenico, Harper’s Burger Bar. For a more pub style lunch, Red House, Kingston Brewing Co, or Pilot House may be good options. Just stay away from Chez Piggy - overhyped and over priced. Also beautiful waterfront. If you needed to burn some time, there’s places like the war museum, Fort Henry, or Bellevue House.

In PEC, the last time I was there I stayed at Huff Estates Winery and really enjoyed it. Breakfast in the morning, nice room, includes a tasting. My personal favourite winery in the area that I have visited is Casa-Dea, with Lacey Estates a close second. East and Main in Wellington I really enjoyed the food at. A friend of mine used to work at Waring House and liked it there too - though it’s a pricier option. Depending on the weather, you could take a walk in Sandbanks provincial park to see a bit of the shoreline, if that’s your thing.

2 Likes

Get away from the falls for best options - Bench brewery is great further west, Oast brewing up in Niagara on the Lake is a nice option too. Bench make some cool saisons / sours / barrel ferments, and the food is great.

As far as Montreal, Au Pied de Cochon was one of the most fun restaurants I’ve been to in years. Its an institution for a reason. Tough reservation on short notice, but with some planning I’d say 100% worth the effort.

2 Likes

My recommendations for Montreal:

Try to spend time on the eastern side of downtown. On the east you have the more “French” areas around St. Laurent (Le Plateau), St. Denis/Latin Quarter, and Old Montreal. On the west, over by the Bell Centre, it’s more like most North American cities but with French on the signage. In Le Plateau, you have some of what I would consider Montreal must-dos: Schwartz’s for Montreal smoked meat, Montreal bagels (Fairmount or Saint Viateur), and Au Pied de Cochon.

Other than that, I would recommend walking/hiking up Mount Royal to get a view of the whole city. The Biodome at Olympic Park is kinda cool.

St. Lawrence Market in Toronto is a good place to hit if you haven’t been there before. The Distillery District. If I had one meal in Toronto, it would be a veal or chicken sandwich from California sandwiches, medium (heat) with cheese (the name is incredibly confusing, it’s Italian-style sandwiches of chicken or veal, pounded thin and fried with tomato sauce and cheese, peppers and onions). Not sure what the nice places to eat are anymore. I love the Indie Alehouse for beer and food but it’s not central (in the Junction). Toronto FC is home on April 2 and 16 if you wanted to watch some soccer.

3 Likes

Exciting stuff! A few up front thoughts.

Old Montreal should be top of your priority list. Plenty of nice hotels on Sherbrooke St. W close to McGill.

L’express is a singular Montreal dining experience. Schwartz’s can’t be missed, and you can get that as takeout/for your drive. Bagels.

3 Likes

Hell yeah. Worth the line up. Eat in if you can, too.

3 Likes

Also, have poutine in Montreal. And just have the original (fries, cheese curds, and gravy).

2 Likes

Also FYI: early April in your intended destinations can be -30 or +20. In Montreal, that can happen in a day. Wouldn’t rely on good weather though, and that might make “walking around” a bit less desirable.

3 Likes

Hell yes. IZUMI Sake Distillery is awesome down there too.

2 Likes

Personal Montreal food favourites: Bouillon Bilk, Mon Lapin, Montreal Plaza, Liverpool House

When you’re here in Toronto, I’d recommend not staying in the downtown core. Instead get an airbnb near Trinity Bellwoods park / West Queen West – great park, lots of cool clothing shops and record stores etc on Queen St, and you’ll be 5 min walk to all the restaurants on Dundas and Ossington.

Some Toronto restaurant recs:

• Ossington/Dundas area: Crosley’s, Bar Vendetta, Archive (wine bar), Paris Paris (also wine bar), Cocktail Bar (cocktail bar)

• Fine dining-ish: 20 Victoria, Alo (both you need to book months in advance)

• Dreyfus, Giulietta, Piano Piano, Pompette (little Italy-ish)

• Sandwiches: Gold Standard, Matty’s Patties

So many others but I’ll stop there. DM me for any Toronto questions anytime!

5 Likes

For beers / drinks, from our resident booze hound -
Dieu du Ciel (the OG craft brewery in QC. Legendary)
Saint Bock - weird ferments, interesting stuff. Neat bar too
Bar George - my fave for a cocktail before or after dinner. Beautiful wood panneled bar, great drinks, cool building. Oddly British-leaning bar snacks, but also great

3 Likes

That’s a great shout. Love that place!

1 Like