Roll Call: The Duck Club | Canadians, Beer and Cow Pastures

If you want to play a lot of golf at Tarandowah next June and want a say in what that golf will look like, hit the polls!

4 Likes

Should drop this in the NY/PA/MI threads as well if the borders are open

2 Likes

Gonna toss it in the YOTB thread too.

2 Likes

This will be a very unpopular opinion:

I never liked Alex Trebek. Feel awful for his family because I know what it’s like to lose someone to cancer.

But was he really a national treasure?

With you.
He was fine. He hosted a trivia game show. He was polite but not necessarily a charmer.
Very sorry he passed.

1 Like

I’ve never really watched Jeopardy, but having a Canadian host one of the biggest American game shows is pretty cool. Him announcing the Sens 1st round pick this year was also very cool

Literally the only thing sens PR has ever gotten right.

1 Like

Trebek was pretty great. Probably not a Canadian treasure since he didn’t work here or contribute to our culture in any great way, but I mean, Jeopardy is an institution.

3 Likes

I think that’s a fair assessment. I have a very specific beef with him that certainly colours my perception, but I respect that assessment.

Ok, gonna need to hear this…

(Personally Trebek and Jeopardy have been a constant companion to my life in Canada, so I’m a fan.)

1 Like

Shortly after my dad died, Trebek was diagnosed and immediately put out statements about how he was going to beat it and all of this insanely optimistic stuff.

Can’t fault a guy for taking that approach. But I had just gone through 18 months of watching doctors tell my dad unreasonably optimistic stuff with his lung and brain cancer as he progressively got worse.

I was in a very “fuck you, man” place.

Typing it out, I feel a bit like a dick for harbouring those feelings to someone I never met. But it really struck a chord with me at a really vulnerable moment.

4 Likes

I think “not a Canadian treasure” is not entirely unfair.

But the ever-presence of him is why I am sad about his passing. For 36 years, five nights a week, almost year round, he was there. And in an entirely inoffensive, part of the furniture, kind of way. The first episode without him is going to be jarring.

At the same time, knowing he had pancreatic cancer helped to prepare me for today’s news.

4 Likes

Siri, define “Canadian”

5 Likes

I can see how that would happen for sure, and can’t imagine trying to unpick the two as you worked through something so difficult.

3 Likes

That’s well put. So many of us have that experience of watching/playing along with Jeopardy.

2 Likes

I respect other views but I am going with national treasure. He will be greatly missed.

2 Likes

This is how I feel. Jeopardy (and Alex) has been in my life for so long. I can picture watching it on our ancient rabbit-ears tv. I’m legit sad for my mom. It feels like a distant relative or longtime neighbour dying

2 Likes

I definitely respect the career Mr. Trebek has had, what a television institution. I guess my only thought about him being a Canadian icon is this, if he were born an American, would anything be different in our country? Would less people watch jeopardy? He has done some charity work with a Canadian geographic society, but has done more work with American charities. I guess my thought would be, if his impact on our country has been minimal, I don’t really feel like he’s a Canadian icon. A tv icon, yes, Canadian icon… not sold.

1 Like

I suppose, even though I’m not Canadian (yet!) I’m still always proud of Canadians making an impact around the world, and of Canada getting positive recognition.

Plus, his condescending tone when giving the correct answer, then repeating it again… that shit is priceless

2 Likes

As someone who has watched every episode of Jeopardy over the past 6-7 years, was pretty disheartening to hear the news. Not because he was Canadian, but because he was part of something so significant for so long. I’d consider him more of a pop culture icon rather than a Canadian icon.

3 Likes