Roll Call: Tampa Golfers

Imagine if the sports authority had an ounce of stones to invest a minimal amount of money into any of their three courses…

1 Like

We’re definitely getting into the details here, but the Sports Authority doesn’t own the courses. They manage them for the City of Tampa and operate them at a loss. Then at the end of the year they go to the city and ask for a check to cover the difference. It’s a really weird arrangement.

The alternative would be for them to get rolled into the parks and rec department or a stand-alone golf department.

In my free time I’m trying to convince anyone who will listen that a small portion of the extremely valuable land Rocky Point sits on should be sold off. The proceeds should then be used to convert Rocky Point into a 9-hole course with incredible practice facilities.

The range is so undersized relative to its traffic that it’s mats only during the week and then they open up the grass area on the weekends.

Honestly I’d love them to make it a unique course and have 12 great holes with a huge putting green, short game range and driving range. Make it match play or make it reversible. I don’t care but 18 holes at that place isn’t worth anything in terms of golf ability so make it more fun and better conditioned and something people remember.

Interesting info.

Haven’t been out to rocky since hs matches.

First thought for rocky is to utilize the property for a reversible concept. (9/12 holes) plus some type of short course-practice facility.

I’ve had a few trips around Babe Zaharias and while restricted with routings. There’s some cool potential for different golf concepts to be created there. Same with Rogers Park.

If there was a way to get the sports authority out of the picture. Just brief looks at their public reports are frustrating.

I’d love to get the deck from Andy staples community links concept in front of the right people. Good public golf is basically non existent in Tampa. Massive hole in the market and chance to actually get the city to turn some type of profit from 3 courses

1 Like

Checking in to echo the recent posts on Rocky. Played Friday morning before work. What a great experience that was. Only played 9 but it was an amazing sight to see the course filled with all the walkers. Great condition too, played much more difficult than I was anticipating. I might start to go out for a sunrise 9 once or twice mid-week from here on out.

2 Likes

The last 5-6 holes should be sold off.

1 Like

Planning to walk Rocky Point tonight. Any want to join? @tsweat345 @Orange-and-Blue

Possibly tomorrow night as well.

I’m not going to in laws for mother’s day so I’m available that weekend if you are but I’ve got a to do list of things to make up for that and that starts tonight.

Wife’s birthday and first mother’s day are the same day. Pretty sure I’ll be single if I play golf that weekend…

1 Like

posting in two places because Tampa / St. Pete proximity … please don’t kick me out!

My wedding for late June had to be rescheduled due to not knowing whether we’d be able to have a large gathering or not. So, fiance and I are planning to head down to the family condo at Isla Del Sol for a long weekend on what was our wedding date.

I know of some courses in the area we have played in the past and there are plenty of options. Due to the circumstances, I was going to try to get us on a country club down there for a “special” round. Anyone know of any that keep select tee times open for visitors or a club that you can get on with a letter from your current club?

Thanks for any and all help!

Just have your Pro call the course that you guys want to play. They’ll usually accommodate, especially in the summer time. Look at Belleair CC, Pasadena, Bradenton CC, St Pete CC, Palma Ceia(prob not but worth a shot)…etc

Moving down in a couple weeks from CT, a couple housemates have been in the area for a little while, another is coming from up here as well, House is by the air force base. Other than Rocky Point, what should we be playing? Cheap, best courses, gimmie em all.

If your house is close to MacDill then I’d look into getting one of their extended access passes. I think they’re 30-60 days. Their range is ok and they have a little chipping area. Don’t speed, don’t bring weapons with you, and don’t drink and drive. Eventually you’ll be subject to a random search of your vehicle when going through the gate.

Start at this post and read the next 5-10 for my Tampa takes: Roll Call: Tampa Golfers

1 Like

Good looks, much appreciated!

1 Like

Well if you are looking for cheap, than that’s almost every course in the Tampa Bay area during the summer time. Just keep the summer rain in mind. Most courses do not drain well and are soaked.

1 Like

Struggling hard with my game right now (and the last 18 months). Anyone have a teaching pro they recommend? I’m in South Tampa, but willing to drive a reasonable ways for quality instruction.

Matt Mitchell at Tampa Bay Downs

http://www.tampabaydowns.com/golf/instruction

2 Likes

Shankcity nailed it.

Matt Mitchell is excellent. Old school but you’ll be hitting it better by the end of the hour for certain. Really good guy to boot.

Matt Mitchell. Matt Mitchell. Matt Mitchell. I can’t recommend him highly enough.

anyone played Carrollwood CC? Thinking about joining with a friend because it’s pretty cheap and only 20 minutes from my house. Playing next weekend to try it out. Thoughts from those that have played it?