Roll Call: Tampa Golfers

Soly had a fine 71 in the first round.

Rough Friday round for Soly. I sure as hell wouldnā€™t have wanted to play on Friday. Overcast in the 50s with 10-15mph wind, no thanks. Too bad they didnā€™t have todayā€™s weatherā€¦

I am going to be down in Tampa for work week of March 9th. I am looking to get in 1 or 2 afternoon rounds. Any course recommendations for some affordable relaxing golf?
I will be on the south side of Tampa near the Port Manatee.
Thanks

Glad you enjoyed it! I worked there back in college for a few years and still play out there every now and then. Maintain some good relationships with a bunch of members there. Director of Golf is Jim Slattery, been there forever.

Its too bad the West course is getting completely redone in a month or so. The new course they are going to build looks amazing, but the west has so much history to it. You can blast it 3 fairways over and still have a shot at the green, pretty wild.

Always enjoyed the East cause it presented a little bit more shot making to protect itself seeing its only like 6200 yds from the back tees. 18 east is pretty stupid though.

1 Like

Hey, gang. Obligatory longtime lurker, listener of the pod, watcher of the the YouTube, and now first time poster.

Iā€™m making an attempt to be active here in the Refuge to help keep the spark and get me out on the course more frequently. I mainly play at Cypress Creek, Diamond Hill, Bloomingdale and occasionally Buckhorn Springs. I do not currently have a handicap, but i would put it around an 18-20 right now. I regularly shoot low 90s and have snuck into the high 80s a couple times.

My goal in 2020 is to get an official handicap and start working on improving my game, especially with accuracy off the tee.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Yeah, I got chatting to a member in the parking lot who mentioned the total re-do coming. Was very excited to have more holes on the waterā€¦ I mean, I get it I guess. But even on one visit it pained me slightly that theyā€™re blowing up a piece of golf history.

Also, hard agree on 18 on the eastā€¦

Any course recs, for the Palmetto/Ruskin area? I will be a working out of that area for a week. Want to get a couple rounds in

I meanā€¦Streamsong is only an hour. Thereā€™s a ton of golf nearby, but I havenā€™t played many of the courses. A lot of housing development courses so Iā€™d read the golfadvisor reviews and take a look at google maps before setting foot on any of them.

I played an afternoon nine at Cypress Creek yesterday over in Ruskin. Very fun track and course was in great shape. Not a lot of traffic going through it since they arenā€™t on GolfNow. Fair warning, prices can be a bit steep early, but itā€™s perfect for a late tee time.

1 Like

Okay awesome I was looking at this one as a possible course to play. Thanks for the info

What public course in the greater Tampa area has the best practice facilities? Going to try to make an effort to practice more and maybe even walk 9 after work once or twice a week when time changes.

Rogers Park is probably your best bet

1 Like

New to the forum, been watching and listening to the NLU crew for a while. Work at MacDill and live in the Lithia/Valrico area. Mainly play courses up and down the I-75 corridor from World Woods all the way down to Cypress Creek. Looking forward to joining the conversations.

Anyone want to play 9 at rocky point this weekend?
Still doing house stuff since we just moved in but iā€™ve only played once in the last 6 months so iā€™m trying to force myself to get out there and play and meet some new people.

1 Like

I could be down for a Sunday afternoon 9.

1 Like

Drove by rocky a few days ago and it looked like the best condition Iā€™ve seen it in a while. Wish I could join but out of town this weekend, maybe next time. Enjoy!

1 Like

Does anyone here want to try for a meetup at World Woods on 4/11? Pine Barrens is an awesome course. @2down @NoLayovers @singlestrap @tsweat345 @Hondo @Orange-and-Blue

I do love World Woods, especially Pine Barrens, but Iā€™ll be hopping on a plane to Scotland that day.

Iā€™ll also be in Scotland, but would love to at some point.

Totally down for another weekend but Iā€™ll be back in kc for Easter.