Roll Call: Tampa Golfers

Old Mo is going to be re-doing their greens sometime soon. They re-did them like 6 years ago and the super then messed it all up. That super is gone and the new one would only come to the club if they let him start over with the greens. Don’t know the time frame on when that will start, but May is probably a good estimate of start date.

2 Likes

Hey Tampa crew, hoping for a quick recommendation for next week…

I am flying in on Wednesday morning (land at 0930 or so) for a job. I have a ride from the airport directly to my hotel in Clearwater, and then have a few hours to kill until meetings at 1430.

Any idea where I could / should sneak 9 holes in nearby? Anyone want to join?

Big night at the Tampa Theatre’s “Cabbyshack” wine fest fundraiser. Took home the long drive. Winner received a Top-Flight golf bag and a bottle of Don Julio 1942. @Lazstradamus please feel free to roast my kit.

4 Likes

@NoLayovers
I think you do an amazing job of bringing light earth tones (khaki) together with cobalt- a HOT color this season. Not enough people are keen/brave enough to mix browns and greys, but if you’re good looking and have a little salt & pepper going (as you do) then it works well. The argyle pattern honors the traditions of the game and drips with irony considering that you’re on a monitor…in Tampa…

In the end, nothing makes you look better than confidence and a smile, and you wear those well. But not as well as your “caddie.”

Congratulations and thank you for elevating all of Tampa.

5 Likes

This is beautiful. Thank you.

1 Like

Clearwater Country Club, Or Dunedin

Hey all,

I will be in Englewood all next week and looking for suggestions of courses to play within a 45 minute drive. Having done some searching I think this is the best thread to ask based on participation levels and recency.

Caveat is that I am with my wife, two little kids, and in-laws who don’t golf. So I’m limited in my ability to just pack up and leave for the day as I have already used my one free pass to go to a Red Sox spring training game.

Much obliged for any suggestions.

PS We just got like 5 inches of snow in New Hampshire and I can’t wait to get to sunny FL.

Anyone or combination of y’all want to go track @Soly and take over the Twitter account at the Gasparilla Invitational next week? The event is Thursday, Friday, and then Saturday for those who make the cut.

Will be the strongest field, by far, Soly has faced. This is the bright lights of Florida Am golf, folks.

The tourney is at Palma Ceia.

1 Like

I plan to be there on Saturday and I’ll be extremely active on Instagram. I was going to try to make a meetup out of it, but then I realized it’s limited to members and their guests.

Pretty anti-Crump Cup and very C-Suite to limit commoners from attending. The holes are so on top of each other I get it. Just not much room at PC.

Also, it needs to be said. THE TOURNAMENT IS THURSDAY TO SATURDAY. Very concerned about @Soly assuming it’s Friday-Sunday.

Does anybody know how he qualified? Pretty sure he took the scummy route of winning an opposite-field (aka on a work day) FSGA one-day event. Tough scene.

Edit to add: Bought an NLU Collared shirt earlier this morning to wear on Saturday. Figured my NLU T-shirt might not get me in the door. Really wanted to buy this and wear it but I’m afraid I’d get thrown in jail.

4 Likes

I’m on the road, so I’m of no use, but it seems @NoLayovers has this covered.

I’m going to be dual-wielding charging bricks. Already confirmed phones are encouraged.

3 Likes

This would be so rad

6 Likes

Feel free to share with others on Thursday and Friday. Real possibility I’m only able to attend on the day that has a cut, haha.

1 Like

I move in next wednesday so I’ll probably be a little too busy but if soly is in contention on saturday I might have to try to tag along @NoLayovers

I emailed Joe Hodge, the head pro at Palma Ceia and asked if this was open to the public to spectate. His response was Yes, but food and drink is member charge only. Might try to go Friday morning to watch for a little bit before my 1 pm tee time on the other side of the Bay.

1 Like

Also, side note, when are we going to organize a Tampa outing? @NoLayovers @tsweat345 @2down

1 Like

Well, my work trip to Clearwater wound up being crazy-busy so I couldn’t run over to either of these courses, but the itinerary ended up including a round at Belleair CC!

What a wonderful welcome they gave us! We had four tee times early on Thursday morning on the west course. Our foursome arrived early, had breakfast and were generally treated like it was our home. Super windy but clear day, the course was a blast and a ton of fun. Those approaches to the greens are pretty wild…

So the four of us (one sales guy from our vendor, and three other strangers) figure, what the hell - we have a few hours free tomorrow. Maybe they’ll let us play again? So we ask one of the asst pros, he sends us to his Director of Golf and he couldn’t have been better about it. “Sure, why not? Early? First tee time? Same course or the east?” Just super cool of them. Killer pro shop too - leather headcovers, GFore shoes, tons of neat stuff for women.

We came back early Friday, and promptly all got our asses kicked by the east course. Loads of water, narrower targets, but with no overseeding I way preferred the conditions - tighter fairways and bigger, rolling greens.

Cannot say enough good things about my experience there. Crossing my fingers I get invited back on this trip next year!

1 Like

Tampa guy here. One of my goals for this year is to actually get out and start playing some more of the courses that are outside of Tampa Proper. It’s too easy for me to make excuses to not play because I don’t want to spend 5 hrs at at a muni so the goal is to actually start traveling the 45-60 minutes outside of Tampa to get to some better courses maybe once a month.

Definitely will be playing Streamsong a few times once the Florida rate kicks back in during summer, World Woods, Southern Hills, maybe some of the courses down in the Sarasota area, etc. (Might still be 5hr round but at least it’s 5 hrs on a well conditioned course). Otherwise I usually stick to Macdill South or Mangrove.

Always looking for people to play this miserably wonderful game with.

1 Like