Roll Call: Tampa Golfers

World Woods & Southern Hills are only twenty minutes from each other and a solid 45+ minutes north of TPA. Might consider staying up there Friday night depending on how much trouble you are or aren’t looking to get into. Not much to do, but a lot of backtracking otherwise.

1 Like

I’ve enjoyed my rounds on Saddlebrook Palmer. It’s a tight piece of property for 36 holes, but overall it’s nice. If you choose it give yourself some extra time before your tee time, as it’s valet only, takes a courtesy cart to get to the clubhouse, and a bit of a cart ride to get to the practice range.

If Southern Hills Plantation is high on the want list, consider a Strapped-style course just north of it at Brooksville CC (see my recent visit here Where did you play this week? - #7078 by LiveAdam) You could play that in the morning and save a little $$ with an afternoon round at SHPC.

2 Likes

Good call, going to need to figure out how to minimize windshield time with how spaced out a lot of these courses are.

Thanks man, that place looks pretty sweet, might have to swap it in.

1 Like

Also, something to think about with that driving is just time to fit everything in. We have about 11.5 hours of daylight that time of year. If you catch a 5 hour round and then need to drive 45 minutes to the next course it could be touch and go about getting the second one finished if you don’t start first thing in the morning.

If there’s a willingness to stay and play in that more remote area, you could look at Black Diamond Ranch in Lecanto after your World Woods day. 36 beautiful Faz holes with stay & play options (staying is often a requirement to play). Southern Hills has stay & play options as well.

1 Like

Preface this by saying I’ve never played TPC Tampa but Southern Hills is a treat. It’s generally a little overpriced imo but totally a super fun Dye track.

I might see about a replay rate vs TPC unless locals advise otherwise.

Can confirm, this statement is false

1 Like

Locals - I’m in need of some vacation advice. The family and I are in search of a Florida beachfront vacation in the April/May timeframe. Cocoa Beach has been both recommended and not recommended to us so I’m wondering if there’s a better spot on the Gulf side.

In general, we’re looking for a spot that’s beachfront, has a family-friendly vibe, and is relatively close to a major airport. I should be able to sneak away for some golf, so that’s on my mind too. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I have friends who have done beach weekends on Ana Maria Island by Bradenton. Would be a possibility, fly into Tampa.

1 Like

As free ad as it gets as my old roommate runs the place, but this is my favorite non-golf spot on Earth. Family run place on St Pete Beach, delicious food/drinks, families welcome.

I stay there at least once per year even though I live 15 mins away. Just something nice about waking up with a beach view and walking down to the bar for a rum runner.

1 Like

You’re speaking my language right here.

Thanks for the insights!

1 Like

Tampa gang,
I’m bringing a group of guys over for a bachelor party weekend 2/25 - 2/27. We’re going to do a myriad of activities (shooting, Bern’s) including golf, the group has a wide range of golfers, any suggestions? Innisbrook is out (too expensive for the "non-golfers) same with TPC. So other than World Woods what courses in the area would you point us to? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Are there any quality courses to consider near North Redington Beach? Looks like a lot of private clubs near my beach resort and somewhat “meh” public tracks. I have Troon points and am considering going up to Westchase for free golf, but wanted to get other opinions to not drive as far if possible. Thanks all!

Nothing going to wow you in the immediate area, public golf in Seminole/Largo/St Pete is pretty weak. Seminole Lakes and Bardmoor are close to you but nothing spectacular. I play most of my golf at Mangrove Bay. Solid muni, but packed to the gills at the moment.

That’s kind of what I was afraid of after browsing Google Maps. Mangrove Bay seemed like the best option that isn’t an hour away. Thanks for the reply!

1 Like

@JCO is doing a bachelor party in Tampa this weekend with a similar mix of skill levels and I think they settled on Rogers Park. Playable muni close to downtown. I would probably do that as well.

2 Likes

Saw that one and wasn’t sure, thanks. @JCO you’ll have to let me know how it goes this weekend.

2 Likes

If you don’t have a reservation at Berns, make it yesterday.

The Cross Bay Ferry from Tampa to St. Pete is a fun adventure. Have a couple drinks on the way, check out breweries, etc… and then head back via ferry or Uber.

1 Like

@mthoma12 Looking forward to it. I was hoping I could finally check off all the Streamsong courses by playing Blue this trip but it just wasn’t going to work out. I think World Woods would be fun but my group is such a mixed group several not even playing golf…I was also looking into Temple Terrace per @NoLayovers request but settled on Rogers Park. I’ll be wheels up from DAL to TPA soon. Also got the Lightning vs Bruins game on tap tomorrow night. I’ve been to 100+ minor league hockey games but this will be my first NHL experience. Should be a fun weekend.

4 Likes