Roll Call: Tampa Golfers

Hey @TheDuffster - welcome to Tampa!

I’m a member at Tampa Palms, which is part of the Cross-bay membership. As far as public courses in the area, I default to World Woods in Brooksville or Streamsong. I think there is a $70 deal at World Woods this weekend.

DM me if you ever want to play at East Lake or Tampa Palms.

1 Like

Welcome to the area - I’m new as well. We moved to Seminole in October. I agree with @kblewis14 on University Park and I’ve played Lakewood National as well, which is an awesome course. I have heard that the greens are pretty rough at World Woods right now due to the recent weather.

1 Like

Good morning everyone, new member to the Refuge here. I’ve lived in the St. Pete area for about 6 years and have played a number of different municipal and semi-private courses around. Looking to join here in the area. I haven’t read much love or really any mention of St. Pete CC. Went on a tour and obviously the facilities need updating but seems like the place has great character, some history, and the course seems great. Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts? Compare it to Fearthersound? Appreciate it.

I’ve only played SPCC once, but thought the place was awesome. It could use a face lift, but I enjoy the simplicity and old school feel it has right now. Course was in fantastic shape when I played, I am not sure what it is like year round.

Im pretty sure Feathersound is about to do a completely reno to the course, so I would inquire about that if you talk to them.

I heard in May they are shutting down for like 8 months to completely redo grass and drainage

Yes, feathersound is gonna be closed from May to late Octoberish for a complete re-sodd. They didnt seem to offer any kind of reciprocity with any other club in the area which kind of sucks.

They will definitely have reciprocity of some sort.

The curious thing is that nobody knows what the hell is actually happening to the course. I’ve heard different stories from multiple people who are very close with the owner. The guy is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. If I was a member, I’d be livid.

If he put his money into strong design of the golf course, fostered a family friendly culture and a rocking pool scene (I cringe typing that, but it is sorely lacking in “Tampa”) it would be returned many times over in a quick hurry. There is literally no place to go if you want the above in Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater. Palma Ceia is putting the golf clamps on existing members and The Vinoy is bursting at the seams.

Could you clarify what you mean by this? Palma Ceia is always in my mind, but I haven’t taken the steps to try to get on the waitlist yet.

I have played there as a guest a couple times. What was amazing to me is I played it this past July and it was still in great shape. Played at a number of courses in the area that week and SPCC was by far in the best shape for middle of July.

Agree with the take that it could use a “facelift”. The range is very small and can’t hit much more than 5-iron and the facilities overall look and are just average. The golf however, is pretty solid.

For years, “junior” members had very limited golf restrictions even though they existed on paper. Now, full members pretty much own the tee sheet so unless you’ve been a member for 10-12 years you won’t be playing much golf at your own club.

I think from what I have heard thru a buddy, Palma Ceia’s waitlist is so long that youd be waiting years to get in and its impossible to get a tee time(this is what I was told). He lives in Hyde Park and was looking at joining, but instead went up to Avila.

I was told last year that the Palma Ceia wait list was 5+ years by a member. Couldn’t imagine waiting that long. If I lived in South Tampa though I would go for it, that place is special.

Tampa golfers, what is your opinion of Carollwood Country Club? Is it worth playing?

I’ve played a handful of times and it’s always been in pretty good shape. Three 9’s so there is some variation. A few quirky holes but overall it’s a good track.

1 Like

Heading down to Indian Rocks Beach, golf-eligible 3/20-3/27. I have a list of courses (thanks to this thread) and looking for some advice from the locals. I see World Woods is bookable now. Is it worth the 90 minute drive for a couple 20 hcp hacks?

I’ll be a single morning of 3/20, if anyone is interested in meeting up with a Refugee from Chicago.

1 Like

Yes, WW is worth it for any handicap.

1 Like

I’m a member at River Hills too. Wonder how many Nest members we have out there at River Hills?

I’ll meet you to tee it up somewhere. I’d be happy to host you at my club which isn’t more than 10 minutes from Indian Rocks Beach.

1 Like

Member at BCC or Pelican?

Bayou Club. So I guess 15 minutes