Roll Call: Tampa Golfers

Anyone tied into this thread have any details about the current private landscape in the Bay Area

membership figures for: Avila, Belleair, Old Mo, Feather Sound or anything else around that range. (PM if you’d like)

1 Like

I had a few buddies at Feather. They were on the young professional membership which is good until you turn 40, and I think it was around 350/month. Avila is significantly more, and unless your last name is on a street sign in Tampa, you’re probably not joining Old Memorial.

2 Likes

I’ve heard the opposite regarding Old Memorial. It’s pretty welcoming as long as you can afford it. Last Monday while sitting on the porch at Old Memorial: “You can join, if you can afford it.”

(My wife says I can’t afford it)

1 Like

I heard it was a decent sized initiation fee, quite a bit a month, plus taking a caddie each round… makes it out of my realm too.

Old Mo was mid-five figures initiation as of last year. Not sure of the monthlies. Definitely a welcoming and ridiculously fun place.

2 Likes

I haven’t found my way out there yet… I’ll stick to playing at Buckhorn for the time being!

This is pretty much my understanding as well. I know they just hired a new membership director.

Grown up in Tampa, name isn’t on any signs but joining wouldn’t be an issue.

Heard old mo took a hit with pelican opening and before reaching out to the members I knew wanted to see if anyone had any specifics around here

I think there’s still a decent amount of guys that are members at both. Just the ones that live in Belleair probably dropped the Old Mo membership as well as Belleair CC right down the street.

Old Mo is a great experience, I know they’ve had some struggles in the past few years with a complete re-haul of the greens that never came to fruition, which I believe led to a decent amount of people getting let go…

Planning a golf trip to North Tampa Area in January - What order would you rank these three courses: World Woods, Southern Hills Plantation, Black Diamond Ridge?

Also am I missing any options in this area? Thanks

1 Like

Never played Black Diamond. World Woods has 36 and is usually in good condition, but Southern Hills is a nicer experience overall. That said, it goes through a housing development so I prefer World Woods.

Sweet thanks I appreciate it.

Hi all. I’m Kelly and new to the group. I live in St. Pete and belong to the Bayou Club. I’m always up for a game whether it’s right down the road or requires a little travel. If anyone needs a fourth or is looking for a game themselves, let me know.

5 Likes

I am heading down to Streamsong via Tampa next month. We have two full days lined up for golf there but have a morning for a round back in the Tampa area before our PM flight. I have rolled through the thread for some course names but if there was just one course you could play in Tampa that is public and $100 or under, where are you going?

I guess Temple Terrace? 6600 yards with some decent GCA and usually has very solid greens. Cut through a neighborhood but wide enough to be enjoyable. Gary Koch’s childhood course.

1 Like

Headed to the Tampa area for the holidays and have preliminary tee times and copperhead and TPC Tampa. Are those courses worth it or are there other courses that you’d recommend? Thanks!

I think Copperhead is a really solid course on a good piece of terrain. Certainly not perfect and has some bad GCA in a couple of spots, but pretty damn good. I think you’ll consider it to be “worth it” if you’re willing to book tee times at these price points.

I’ve played TPC Tampa Bay 5 or 6 times and it does nothing for me. There are a couple of other courses right around it and they’re all the same as far as I’m concerned. It only stands out for being well-conditioned and charging exorbitant amounts in the peak winter season.

Everything upthread about Streamsong, World Woods, and Southern Hills remains true. If you have the time, then drive to those over the courses closer to Tampa.

3 Likes

Hey Kelly - welcome. I’m up in New Tampa/Tampa Palms. Happy to host you up in this area any time. I don’t get over to St. Pete that often, but would be happy to make the trek over the holidays if you want to play.

1 Like

Pretty much what @NoLayovers said. Copperhead is fun, if no other reason that you can watch it on TV and have a better understanding of the course.

TPC Tampa Bay is meh at best. World woods is where it is at - strongly suggest making the trek up there.

1 Like

Don’t play TPC Tampa Bay. I’ve played a ton of TPC courses and it’s the worst TPC course. You won’t remember a single hole a week later. I’d play the second course offerings at the TPC’s that have those any day over another round at Tampa Bay. Personally I like the Island course at Innisbrook better than Copperhead. World Woods Pine Barrens is better than all of these.

2 Likes