Roll Call: South Carolina Golfers

For non-residential memberships I would say the two best options for a “younger crowd” are Oldfield and Hampton Hall. Both have a young executive membership (probably the best value in the area) which helps bring in some younger members.

I am not too familiar with the memberships at Berkley Hall, Belfair, and Colleton River but I know all have much higher initiation fees and you may have to own property.

Wild card is Riverton Pointe which just opened up this fall (technically in Jasper County off of Argent Blvd). Have no idea what type of members they are attracting as the clubhouse won’t be finished for another year or two but they are offering non-resident memberships.

3 Likes

Others would argue we don’t have enough…

3 Likes

Others don’t have to deal with you people. I only had a Clemson fan try to start a fight at my wedding because he wouldn’t shut his mouth. Nobody else.

Listen in my defense it was the South Carolina fan who couldn’t take a little lighthearted joking.

1 Like

You really want to start with worst behavior of individual fans from fanbases?

Hate that for your wedding though.

1 Like

Hadn’t heard of Riverton Pointe, but very interesting and the course looks really nice. My wife and I have Bluffton circled as our next location. Whether that happens this summer or in the next 4-5 years, it will likely happen at some point. We have looked very hard at Oldfield as it provides some of the best amenities at somewhat reasonable prices. They also have river access and boat storage, so you can launch there, which few of the other clubs offer.

Colleton, Belfair and Berkley are all ~$17k a year in dues. Believe a golf membership at Oldfield is only like $350 a month for under 44.

Anyone know anything about the new Doak project in Beaufort/Bluffton area that he spoke about on The Fried Egg podcast? Curious what kind of place that will be.

2 Likes

Is it at palmetto bluff?

Riverton has a ton of potential and I’m excited to see what they do out there over the next couple of years. Played it for the first time a couple months ago.

1 Like

This is great. thanks

also not torn to having to join somewhere if there is another group/option – just looking for a regular game to join 2/3 saturdays a month

2 Likes

Definitely let me know when you get down this way. I have a good group of guys that like to get out on most weekends and sometimes after work in the summer.

Spark golf also has 9 hole leagues starting up at Hilton Head National and Old South this year.

1 Like

I think that’s what I heard about the Doak project too.

1 Like

Cannons’ Roost friends - heading to y’all’s neck of the woods the last week of March for a family vacay in Hilton Head. Rolling that into a bachelor party in Asheville and looking for some recommendations on where to stop and play during the drive up on 4/1. Charleston, Aiken, up to Pinehurst area for a day? My Carolinas golf course knowledge is limited so any guidance is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Charleston is an hour north of HHI or you can go backroads from HHI to Aiken and be on route to Asheville.

So you’re looking at Charleston Muni or Aiken Golf Club. The direct route takes you through Columbia/Spartanburg but don’t know any must-see courses from that perspective.

Pinehurst is out of the way.

3 Likes

Just know that you may be looking at Masters week if you’re traveling through the Carolinas on the first weekend of April.

This can be good and bad. Bad in that prices for local clubs may be inflated. Good in that you may have access to courses you otherwise may not have. Many private clubs in SC (I’d assume Georgia as well) open their doors to the public for the bookend week of the masters.

Depending on what you’re willing to spend, Palmetto is open for public play. Orangeburg, Musgrove Mill, Columbia, CCLexington are all on that path. Camden CC is a Ross 30mi East of Columbia, and worth the drive. They’re probably open to public play that weekend.

3 Likes

Wife and I looking at traveling to Hilton Head the first week of June for our first anniversary. Neither of us have been before. Looking at lodging on AirBNB & VRBO right now but figured I’d check here to see if anyone rents out a place / has those dates open for rent.

1 Like

Haven’t we seen what happens when you blaspheme The Dabo?

I drained like a 40 footer from off the green for par on that hole that I was smote (smoten, smoted, smitten)

1 Like

Breaking News. The second course at May River will be a Coore Crenshaw. Also working on a short course

10 Likes

Any word on if it will also have a way for the public to get on?