Roll Call: South Carolina Golfers

that tree is incredibly dumb

1 Like

Finally got to play Caledonia after being in Pawley’s multiple years in a row EXACTLY during the maintenance window. The course fits so well into the surrounding landscape and was truly beautiful driving in and moving around that place. As I knew going in, very tight in certain places and that cut down on it being “fun” at times but overall had a great experience…

…that said, do I lose all my credibility by saying I think True Blue is a more fun golf course? For me it comes down to two things:
(1) Considerably more room off the tee (with “width” being the en vogue adjective these days)
(2) I can remember every single hole at True Blue and it feels much more unbridled Stranz than Caledonia, which is kind of what I want in a course I will only play a handful of times in my life. A lot of the holes at Caledonia, though beautiful, run together

Caledonia is definitely a much better looking piece property and was in better shape but I still think if I have 10 rounds I go 7 at TB and 3 at Caledonia. Probably doesn’t hurt that I find TB significantly easier than Caledonia as well. A point I will concede is that since I go in early August, walking is largely out of the question. I think if I walked Caledonia I would have appreciated it a bit more. That seems like a course that should be walked (really all golf courses should be designed to be walked but that doesn’t always happen in resort golf). All in all, two very good golf courses to have in your state you lucky SC guys and gals!

1 Like

No, you’re not. There’s at least a few of us, but we’re in the minority.

3 Likes

Anyone fellow refugees playing in the Aiken City Am this year?

When is it?

1 Like

Dang it. I have plans that weekend.

always loved these posters. Aiken has them from past years on the walls in the Men’s Locker Room.

2 Likes

Does anyone know or remember when the Kiawah Winter stay and play package goes on sale and/or the dates for it? I am itching to book it this year and the google hasn’t helped much

It usually starts sometime in the back half of November and goes until the end of February I think. Not sure when they start taking bookings for it. I always just checked the website resort packages every few weeks until it showed up on there.

1 Like

It starts around November but I don’t think it includes the Ocean Course anymore or it is an upcharge. I could be wrong, but last year I remember the deal wasn’t as good as years past.

I know Ocean was an upcharge last year but I figured that was just due to the PGA coming in May. Hoping they go back to the old deal this year.

1 Like

9am tee time this Sunday at Orangeburg CC with spots open. Come join @BarnacleRob and myself as we read from the Book of Maples !

4 Likes

It’s started they just don’t publish it online. I just booked the first weekend in December, 2 nights in. 4 bedroom villa, one round ocean, one round cougar, breakfast each day. $614 per player including the Ocean surcharge.

3 Likes

Anyone in the Myrtle Beach area that is looking to tee it up? Please reach out if you are interested. My younger brother just moved there and is going to turf school. He is looking for fellow golf sickos to tee it up with.

Going to pull the trigger on that out of town Orangeburg membership before the end of the year. Building a house right now and I have to keep the wife at bay with all the things she wants to put in it and it would be a bad bad look for me do this right now.

3 Likes

Hey South Carolina refugees! I am heading to Cross Hill for family vacation this coming week. What are some courses close to there that I need to check out? Thanks in advance!

How far are you willing to go? It’s about 20 minutes from there to my course in greenwood. I’d be glad to set up a time to host you. Send me a DM

I learn of a new town in SC every week. After googling where it is… People vacation there?

4 Likes

OK I will get with my father-in-law and see what day he is thinking. Thank you for the offer!