Roll Call: South Carolina Golfers

Friends and family was quoted to me this spring as $220/mo + $20/mo capital improvement fee, no initiation or food minimum and first and last month free with 18-month commitment.

I can’t do it at the moment, but it seems reasonable and there is a plan to gradually upgrade the facilities.

This is a fair point, but they need some serious tree management on that right side. You have to put your ball almost in the maintenance shed just to have an angle and a 160+ yard shot to the green.

1 Like

I think that is the case on a few other holes as well now. On 8, 10, 12, 16, and maybe another I am forgetting the trees encroach a lot more than they used to.

Parachuting in here as I will be in Charleston in about 2 months and have a free afternoon to play in Wednesday September 29th if anyone is available to meet up. Playing the Muni in the morning but free after that.

1 Like

New here. I live near holly hill SC but that is close enough to both the Charleston and santee/orangeburg areas that I play courses all around the lowcountry.

6 Likes

This is a ways off but wanted to throw it out there. I’m playing the Ocean Course on November 15th with my father in law, brother in law, and his wife. None of them have any interest in playing somewhere else either the day before or after. I’m thinking of driving separate and heading down early on the 14th and playing somewhere in Charleston and then playing somewhere else early on the 16th before driving back (I live in Sanford, NC). I’d love to play the Muni one of those but I’m looking for recommendations for a different course and fellow refugees to play with. Shoot me a DM if you are interested. Thanks

2 Likes

I would play the Muni and then swing by Pawleys Island on your way back home and play either True Blue or Caledonia. Those are going to be far better courses than anything else you can play in the Charleston area that isn’t private.

1 Like

Yea. I’m playing True Blue and Caledonia next summer for the Hootenanny and I don’t want to get too far off track on the way there or back. I know closer to the time I’m sure someone would be able to get a tee time somewhere

Understood. If you want to stay closer to Kiawah and play I would look at either Osprey or Stono Ferry.

Thanks. I was looking at Stono Ferry yesterday. After spending whatever it’s going to cost to play the Ocean Course I think I’ll stay away from the $295 fee to play Osprey. Stono also isn’t too much out of the way. Hopefully someone local will be available to play when the dates get closer.

2 Likes

Stono is pretty much on your way out of Kiawah and is in good shape. If you were heading out of town on a weekend I’d sign up to sherpa you around. Shouldnt have too much trouble getting out in the morning during the week. Weekend is a different story over there.

I’ll be coming in on a Sunday afternoon and leaving on Tuesday morning. So I could do either of those times and then try and line up the Muni for the other.

I live in Columbia, so there might be others with more expertise at the Muni, but I would recommend Stono Sunday Afternoon and the Muni Tuesday morning. I think as a single it would be easy to get out during the week at the Muni and would be much easier to grab a tee time online. Sunday afternoon at Stono shouldn’t be too hard to get out on.

1 Like

As someone who has played Turtle point and Cougar Point - I thought they were enjoyable and nice golf courses. Only really worth it if you have the money and definitely want to stay on the island. Otherwise, from a pure quality of golf perspective, it’s probably they worst deal in the US.

4 Likes

Don’t waste the money to play anywhere else on Kiawah. I play them each year with the passbook I have and Cougar is awesome (in my opinion) but I would never pay the going rate for it. Definitely try for the Muni (as a single you can show up and they’ll get you guaranteed). Outside of that to echo everyone else Stono Ferry is a cool course and is usually in good shape just avoid it if its been raining as it turns into a swamp. I played Dunes West recently and thought that it was the best public course in town outside of the Muni (Stono is a close second and probably a better option since you’re closer to Kiawah). If you’re in town on the weekend and want to squeeze in the Muni hit me up 8 days out and I’ll register us for a tee time if you want and save you some money so you can pay the local rate.

5 Likes

I grew up outside of Holly Hill. Play the 9 holer a good bit still.

I still play holly hill pretty often. A little on the easy side. Except hole 7…

Played out there in December. Was fun and the landing strip across the road was a cool touch.

1 Like

I love fact that I can play all day out there for 12$.

1 Like

#7 is the toughest par 3 around.

Best part is definitely the price and pace of play. Routinely play 27-36. Good place for kids to ride with you too.

1 Like