Roll Call: South Carolina Golfers

It’ll never happen downtown.

I wouldn’t be surprised if something happens in another area of town.

Thanks for reminding me. Man I miss playing golf with Mr Funk.

not to mention the extreme backup that always comes from the blind second shot after the 5 iron tee shot that probably rolled into 9 fairway. never played there without hole 2 taking less than 20 mins. toughest of scenes.

1 Like

lol. Funniest thing is I’m not even talking about that hole.

Joined Golden Hills for the summer and can attest that the 12th is one of funniest hole designs I’ve ever seen.

We just went to a wait list for Full Golf members at Lexington. Initiation fee is now $5,000 at that level.

If I had not moved to Lexington when we moved here, I would have gone with Forest Lake or CCC. The social scene at FL is unmatched IMO. Just put a lot of funds into a new grill area, course upgrades, etc.

I really like CCC. Having 27 holes is a huge plus.

Camden and OCC are both very solid. I’m joining Camden soon. It’s a real treat and not that far of a drive from Columbia.

OCC is maybe the most welcoming club I’ve been to as a guest. They get something right there about making you feel at home.

4 Likes

My father-in-law is a member of Wildewood and my best friend just joined there last month. I’m probably biased being from Atlanta, but Wildewood is dirt cheap for a golf club. $1500 initiation and something like $150 / month (probably less). Granted the facilities aren’t great and there isn’t much of a social scene for your wife to enjoy that I’m aware of, but the golf course is solid enough and they do have a pool. Considering you’re a relatively new golfer, it might be a good balance.

1 Like

10 at Windermere is cool and 17/18 could be an incredible finish if they had the money.

Re: Forest Hills, I’ve never heard that before. Would have been interesting because Forest Hills is super hilly.

@alliekat I have never heard about a course in Forest Hills, but I have been told a LONG time ago there was a course somewhere in the Trenholm Plaza - Wal-Mart area where Forest Dr. is. I think this was back even before FL was around.

One thing to note on WW, is that I believe they get something like $500 or $600 from the HOA groups per house. There are literally a thousand homes in those HOAs, so WW has a nice foundation financially. HOA members can access the pool and some facilities I believe. For this reason, I think they’re going to be pretty stable as long as the neighborhoods around there are solid.

If this is true then it makes an argument for best value in town if you are just looking to play golf.

I think this is fair to say as well. Every since they got out of the partnership with Woodcreek and the members took it over, they have been trying to right the ship. Focus was on the course first and then taking on the facilities, but pool and tennis look in great shape. I believe they hired Pinnacle Golf (they run a lot of Charlotte area courses and Bryan Park in Greensboro) for their day-to-day operations.

100% agree. 11, 15 & 16 are the only holes on the back 9 that I dislike. 4, 5, & 7 are good too. @alliekat

I just move up a tee or two and try to power slice one over the pond. #10 might be the worst hole out there though.

1 Like

My number two course design pet peeve behind the “middle of the fairway tree”.

1 Like

Shoutout Wildewood

2 Likes

I kind of like 10. It’s not a terrible hole. Would be less shocking if it was in the middle of a 9.

1 Like

Shoutout Oak Hills. That might be my least favorite hole in the Midlands

1 Like

Ironically, the first at Wildewood is also a par 5 layup tee shot w an iron or hybrid.

2 Likes

Cross posting here along with the Myrtle thread:

Anyone wan to join me at True Blue Monday 7/26 at 7:57am? Appears that all three other spots are open based on the booking website.

@BradleyJ Not sure if you came to a decision, but I talked to a guy in my office that is a member at Spring Valley and they are still running the “Friends and Family” membership drive. He said it was no initiation, couple hundred a month, and wasn’t sure if there was a food minimum or anything else, but that got you full membership (golf, tennis, pool)