Roll Call: South Carolina Golfers

I’m completely jaded living in the Irmo area. The closest course is at a minimum 20-25 minutes. When Mid Carolina upgrades their greens in a few years it’ll be great. Right now it’s top 4 conditioned course in columbia.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/LongEmptyDeermouse-size_restricted.gif

1 Like

Now do COLUMBIA country club.

1 Like

Listen, I live downtown. It’s a tough scene. CCC is more Blythewood CC

1 Like

A good downtown par3 or 9 holer would be amazing.

2 Likes

I’ve thought about this a hundred times over because I passed it every day going in to work pre Covid. It almost seems to perfect with with the First Tee facility right nearby off Harden. A real potential for a Winter Park 9 kind of place that could be accesibke by all.

1 Like

For an area that is technically “saturated” with golf courses, it really does. I have told some of the OCC members that I’ve played with that I’m from Columbia and every one of them has been like “yeah, I get it”.

1 Like

Love the idea, but instead of Mercedes and Porsches lining the streets, it would be “Carolina Squat” 1998 dodge rams and 15 year old Altimas with one window replaced with a glad bag.

I agree with @LukeBoatright. Columbia’s golf scene stinks.

1 Like

FIFY

1 Like

Ahh you’re right. Knew it didn’t sound right! I bet there’s a carolina lean too, but it’s probably a garnet colored version of purple drank

1 Like

Listen, for sure. Which is a large part of why Bullstreet was never going to be what they said it would be from the beginning.

1 Like

If CCC was still in Eau Claire it would be so sick.

2 Likes

I’m not nearby, really, but:

Is Linrick a dump now?
What about Golden Hills in Lexington?

Reviews from @Sankaty said Linrick was in fantastic condition last Fall.

I played Golden Hills last month and the condition was very good, but that layout is just so so stupid.

3 Likes

I LOVE hitting an iron off a par 5 tee box

5 Likes

Linrick is in OK shape. Back nine is a little goofy in places design wise.

I enjoy Oak Hills more.

2 Likes

Re: SV Even if rate increase after promotion expiration, I think F/B obligation would be only real increase in dues obligation. If used the club a lot, then that wouldn’t be a big deal.

Re Windermere, the bones of the back nine actually aren’t that bad (10 is actually kinda cool) but the poor quality of the greens is really hard for me to overlook.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure this scenario led to the only hole I beat you at Bryan Park.

2 Likes

This times a thousand, Luke. I’ve been chirping to a commercial real estate buddy of mine that Cola needs this. Unfortunately, for a lot of reasons, I think it needs to be on the downtown area for it to be viable and there’s just not a ton of land options there.

Ballpark: How many acres would it take to pull off a 1) WP9 style course; 2) a cradle style par 3; or 3) Flushing Meadow pitch and putt?

I’ve been told by some old school Cola folks that there used to be a golf course where the Forest Hills neighborhood is located. Any idea what that was?