Roll Call: South Carolina Golfers

@Chippycut is asking all the right questions, so the recommendation(s) will depend on the answers.

1 Like

Sounds like you want golf, some social, and cost is a big driver.

Given where you live, I’d say Spring Valley is your way to go. Cost is probably comparable to Cobblestone, but SV didnt have an initiation fee recently, which I am guessing Cobblestone does, and is miles closer.

2 Likes

Only downtown club is Forest Lake and it’s tops of all the lists (cost, condition, etc). Spring Valley would be second closest, but their membership deal was time limited and has one of the highest costs for facilities that are average at best.

Windermere is another club up this way in Blythewood area that is priced lower per month, but the same issues with Cobblestone above. Practice facilities aren’t great but the course is okay. Has/had some ongoing financial issues.

Based on what you’ve said about conditions, social/pool, and golf aspirations, Columbia CC probably fits the bill the best, though it is one of the furthest from downtown with Cobblestone. Course is one of the best in the area and with 27 holes you shouldn’t have an issue getting out there. They have done some membership deals in the past, but also requires a 2 year contract. There are some members on here that could speak more to it.

Cobblestone has 27 holes but is semi-private and tee sheet is usually stacked. Not much freedom on the course, but probably has best amenities for pool, social, and practice facilities.

Wildewood had some ownership turnover, but its now member owned although it was a higher monthly cost in the past. I have no idea about Woodcreek or Woodlands, or Ft. Jackson civilian membership. Oak Hills and Northwoods are public courses that also have memberships, but they are just golf and I’m not sure what being a member actually gets you.

This is a good number to be comfortable with and probably gets you in range with most clubs but always keep in mind the initiation, cart, and trail fees and any food minimums that may be required into your overall costs analysis. Always remember you will NEVER come out in the black on costs/money so put the value on what matters most to you and your family.

I personally live north of the downtown area and within 10-15 minutes of Cobblestone, Columbia, SV, and Winderemere but ended up joining as a non-resident at Orangeburg Country Club. For me it has been the best match of monthly costs, access, and course conditions/facilities to fit my life right now but YMMV.

Feel free to ask anything else you may be wondering.

4 Likes

I live downtown (Shandon) and I’m a member at Columbia. It is right at a 30 minute drive for me. I still make it out there about once a week, sometimes twice.

There are 27 holes, pace of play is generally outstanding and if you avoid the dogfights, it isn’t too crowded.

I did a “prospective member” round at Spring Valley about a year ago. The people there are good and I liked the course, but it was about one notch below Columbia in terms of course condition and they “only” have 18 holes, so pace of play was a little more of an unknown to me. It is roughly 20 minutes from me, so 10 minutes closer.

At Columbia, even if you run up on a slow foursome, you can usually just see which nine they turn to and turn to the other one. I’ve probably played 50 rounds there since joining in October and I’ve gotten annoyed by pace of play once. It was a problem for literally two holes then I just bounced to another nine at the turn.

There are a lot of really good players there. I mean, a lot. But an average player like me can still knock it around and not feel out of place.

I also looked at Forest Lake, but their history is a little uncomfortable to me. Maybe as they continue to welcome more black and women members I’ll get over it and join down the road. I’ve got some friends there, and the location cannot be beat, but it’s still a little weird for me.

2 Likes

Is Forest Lake openly accessible to potential new members? Had in mind it didn’t really matter if you had the money, but more if you had the last name/connections.

I am absolutely guessing but I think it’s all about knowing someone to get on the wait list.

Another candidate might be Camden Country Club. Little farther away but you would qualify for non-resident membership. @BradleyJ

2 Likes

Definitely have to have name and connections to get on the waitlist that is probably a few years long.

1 Like

There’s a decent downstroke too, isn’t there?

Force ranked in town, considering value, conditioning, layout, atmosphere and trajectory of the club, excluding FL due to initiation and wait list:

1. Columbia CC
  2. Lexington
  3. Wildewood
  4. Woodcreek
  5. Cobblestone
  6. Spring Valley
  7. Windemere
  8. Woodlands

I would also second Oburg and Camden. I’d personally join one of those two before joining several of the options in Columbia.

1 Like

Downstroke as in initiation fee? Last I knew it was $20K+ for non-legacy members that had to be paid up front. Legacy members could get in as long as they were under 30 for less and could be paid over a few years. Their monthly dues aren’t that bad, but you’re already deep in before you even get there.

1 Like

Correct. I know a guy who lives across the street from the course - he can literally see a fairway from his front door - who was on the waiting list for something like four years.

I think at the time they had a “1 new person for every 1 legacy added” policy but they had to change that when there weren’t any legacies interested in/able to afford joining.

I like @Chippycut’s rankings. This would be mine:

1. Columbia CC
  2. Lexington
  3. Camden
  4. Spring Valley
  5. Wildewood
  6. Woodcreek
  7. Orangeburg
  8. Play only public golf
  9. Cobblestone
  10. Woodlands
  11. Sell all of my golf clubs and never play again
  12. Windemere
7 Likes

@BradleyJ - just do what I do: mooch off people that are members at places, play at the Spur/Linrick for your weekday 9s, travel to Refuge events on the off chance you get to play weekend golf.

However, I have 2 toddlers so that weekend golf is few and far between.

3 Likes

I think you should check out Spring Valley. They’ve been in a big membership push out there the last couple of years and were running a promotion w/ no initiation fee, monthly dues around 225 w/ no food/drink minimum. It’s not that hard to get a tee time and there’s some decent holes out there. I think a lot of folks use the pool in the summer and they have a good tennis program out there.

Wildewood is also fairly easy to get to from your part of town and is worth checking out as well. Probably comparable in price to Cobblestone if not a touch less. Cobblestone is a fun layout but it isn’t the easiest walk of the bunch so keep that in mind if you’re part of the Push Cart Mafia.

Unless they’ve changed out the bentgrass greens at Windemere, I would take a pass on that place–it’s a hot mess in the summer time.

Fort Jackson is also a solid option from a golf perspective and by far the most affordable membership but may not bring the best value for your wife on the pool and social scene side and it’s a little bit of a pain to get guests on and off the base. They do have decent practice area which could be helpful as a beginning golfer.

Be sure and ask about the reciprocity the clubs offer as that could give you easier access to some of the other regional clubs, e.g. Camden and Orangeburg, in addition to your home club.

All of these places will be happy to let you play as a prospective member so go check them all out and find the one that’s the best fit for you!

2 Likes

If I had Camden/Orangeburg in my rankings it would go:

1. Columbia
  2. Camden
  3. Orangeburg
  4. Lexington

And so forth.

1 Like

IIRC this was a limited promotion, something like first year or year and half, and then went up to normal monthly dues. May not be the case anymore and if so, then definitely check it out.

They’ve gone over to Bermuda but its still a tough scene. I actually like some of the holes out there and wish it was better.

I’m curious what everyone thinks the Charleston area club rankings would be

1. Yeamans
  2. CCC
  3. Bulls Bay
    Everywhere else.
7 Likes

I kept looking at these Columbia ranking which I haven’t had time to calculate.

Guis. Compared to city areas within drive the golf scene in Columbia stinks.

6 Likes

Would’ve been better if CCC had stayed downtown.

Buddy of mine thinks they need to put a short course in the new green space at Bull St. Can’t imagine it ever would happen but I can’t disagree with him

1 Like