Roll Call: South Carolina Golfers

Gents, I’ve got a few days in South Carolina coming up at the end of August, if pressed with the decision to play either True Blue or Caledonia, which would you prefer and why?

• True Blue
  • Caledonia

0 voters

Spoiler alert: This will lean towards Caledonia.

I voted for TB, and I’ll tell you it’s because I’m a glutton for punishment. From the tips it’s big, burly, and dramatic. Pain is temporary, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco

3 Likes

Caledonia is more exemplary of the low country. Good water/marshland, Spanish moss, seafood chowder at the starters shed. Just a fun course w great ambiance.

1 Like

Although it has been awhile since I played Caledonia(they definitely did not have seafood chowder at the starters shed). I like True Blue better, mostly because it fits my game more. I feel like you can miss at TB and still have a chance at par, although be penalized from a strategy stand point by not playing the best angle. I do agree with Chippycut on great views/ambiance at Caledonia. So it really depends on what your expectations are out of the round.

3 Likes

Sweet guys! Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it!

Come on in and get some raffle tickets!

1 Like

Hey fellas!! I’m traveling to Pawleys Island in September. I’m only gonna have one day to play. I’m thinkin I’m gonna try True Blue. Anyone have any suggestions?

True Blue or Caledonia. Probably about 20-30 posts ago in this thread, there’s a spirited debate over the same subject. AM/PM 36 would be a great day.

3 Likes

True Blue, Caledonia, and Heritage are your best bets in Pawley’s. You won’t walk away disappointed from any of these 3 courses.

4 Likes

Hey, folks, thinking about driving up for a round at Lancaster GC. Any thoughts? Good walk?

One of my favorites. Front is very easy walk. They just had a CGA junior event there so it should be in great shape.

1 Like

yes Lancaster is great. Front is mostly Ross and a very nice walk. Back is by Russell Breeden and is a little longer routing with more trees and OB. It is a solid course overall and as mentioned above should be in good condition.

1 Like

Excellent, thanks. Going to play chicken with these afternoon thunderstorms.

I played Fort Mill growing up but never made it over to Lancaster. Looking forward to it.

Update: Lancaster GC is awesome
, go play it.

9 Likes

-Columbia area country/golf club recommendations-

Boys I’m seriously thinking about joining (seriously close to convincing the wife) a country club in Columbia and I’m hoping y’all could give me some recommendations.

Would really appreciate any club recommendations and also thoughts and experiences on being a club member. Gracias!

1 Like

Think it depends on where you live, how much you want to spend, and what you want to get out of it.

If you’re downtown and money is not an option, Forest Lake is probably the way to go. I personally think it is dramatically overpriced and have a problem with some of their rules, but it is the easiest to downtown.

Spring Valley had a membership drive a month or two ago and is a pretty decent value just outside of downtown. I dont know about the conditions but I think they have a fairly active membership.

Probably the best value is Columbia CC. It’s a little too far outside of downtown for me personally, but with 3 9s and an active membership, it’s probably the best. Hosted Open locals in the last few years along with other USGA events.

Cobblestone and Wildewood are the other two “relatively” close to downtown. Could also look into a civilian membership at Ft. Jackson. They’ve done it in the past, but not sure it is still an option after COVID.

2 Likes

Shout out @LukeBoatright @tres_carlos and others. Help this man out!

1 Like
  1. Where do you live
  2. What are you looking for amenities wise?
  3. What are you looking for competition/ambiance wise?
  4. Kids?
3 Likes

Also, how particular are you about conditioning, etc.

I’ve been a member at three of them, and can help you compare and contrast.

2 Likes

I am over by Hammond, close to downtown. Closer to downtown would obviously be better.

I am a fairly new golfer, so currently I think decent course conditions would keep me happy. Also being new for now I would value a more relaxed environment, but hope to get into more competition if my game ever improves.

Cost is a big factor mostly to sell the idea to my wife. I also don’t have any frame of reference as to what reasonable membership costs are. I saw that cobblestone is around 250/mo which seemed fine to me.

Wife is looking for pool and social stuff. No kids but will be a factor down the road.

Thanks!