Roll Call: South Carolina Golfers

I’ve been in Columbia for about 15 years now. Woodcreek and Wildewood have had a lot of trouble here in the last year or so. I play out of Columbia CC so I’m a little partial but it’s in better condition and a better track imo. I’m sure your father in law can fill you in. Cobblestone is really the only public course in Columbia worth your time.

A little late to the party but new to NLU but thought I’d chime in. Raised/currently live in Greenville. Clemson 16’ Grad and member at Pebble Creek.

I use to play Pebble Creek when visiting my relatives in the Spartanburg area. Now my cousin lives in Woodfin Ridge so I just play there.

Clemson 07 but live outside of Charleston now.

Have any of you upstate folk every played River Falls? My FIL lives right around the corner and I’ve yet to try it. Looks solid from the road. I usually play with some friends at GCC or CC Spartanburg when I’m up but looking to give it a shot next time I’m around and free.

Do not like River Falls at all personally. CC Spartanburg is so much better. I wouldn’t play it unless you just want to see something new.

1 Like

Has anyone ever played in the Beaufort City Golf Championship? I just moved to SC earlier this year but looks like a good excuse to get up to Fripp and play Ocean Point for the first time.

I feel like River Falls is everyone’s least favorite course in the upstate.

1 Like

It is for me. I wouldn’t go play it for free much less pay to play out there.

1 Like

Students can walk for free now? Wasn’t that way when I was there…had to shell out to play. Probably ended up being better for my GPA. Really great course, wish I had appreciated it more when I was there. Not tons of other true golf courses without housing developments around. Miss those days…

Daniel Island is a gem! Such a nice area. Close to everything, yet out of the hustle and bustle of Charleston.

I’ve played the Ralston Creek Course a few years ago. Amazing marsh views, beautiful houses, and long challenging course. Welcome to the south!

New to the Refuge, currently reside in Fort Mill. Just chiming in to say hello. As someone who fell in love with Tillinghast courses up north I was curious if anyone has experience at Rock Hill CC? I think its his only design in the area. I would say my home course alternates between Fort Mill, Springfield and Tega Cay ranked in that order of preference.

1 Like

I’m in Aiken. Member at Palmetto GC.

5 Likes

Lucky Man! Probably my favorite place in the US to play!

Hello new best friend :rofl: I echo @almostscratchonce sentiment. One of my favorite courses.

2 Likes

Meet you there around 10 on Sunday?

2 Likes

We usually play at 1 on Sunday, but I will be out of town this weekend. I do love to share it though. Would love to get together.

6 Likes

Nongolf related- I am headed to Charleston and looking for food recs. got FIG, Husk, Rodney Scotts, and all the other standard ones. I don’t trust yelp or tripadvisor but i know i could trust some golf nuts. Any help would be great…

In the same area as Scott’s is Lewis BBQ. Some of the best brisket I have ever had. I grew up about 10 minutes from the original Scott’s so I never get that when I go down but both are great. I’ve also enjoyed everything I’ve had from Edmunds Oast (both locations). The restaurant has a bigger beer selection (non-Edmunds beer) and a fancier menu, but the brewery just up the road always has good food as well. The wife and I enjoyed O-Ku downtown if you want sushi. Never been but a friend down there always speaks highly of Butcher & Bee. Minero down near the market had good mexican food as well.

I’m probably better from beer recommendations…hopefully someone else can help you out better than me!

1 Like

Does this still apply if the refugee went to Furman? :slightly_smiling_face:

I promise I won’t wear purple!

I’ll second Edmunds Oast.

2 Likes