Roll Call: South Carolina Golfers

Greenville born and raised, grew up on Green Valley. Primarily play Furman and Pebble Creek because of proximity

2 Likes

I was looking back at the thread on courses refugees wanted to play this year, and seeing all these responses of far off courses and recycled PB, SV, Sweetens responses made me think about what the Carolinas had to offer locally. No disrespect to the other courses or posters, but if you can’t shell out $$$ and time for TouristSauce-like experiences, then it’s only wishful thinking.

So, what do you think is the most underrated/overrated courses in SC? What course(s) would you consider a must play? Feel free to give a Mount Rushmore of spots to play. Let’s do this

Not sure I have a Mt Rushmore. My favorite tracks in SC are all over the place. If I broke it down into places I like to play multiple times that list would include CC of Spartanburg, Cliffs at Mountain Park, Holly Tree, Charleston National, Furman, Greenville CC (Chanticleer/Riverside), Harbour Town, Palmetto, The Ocean Course, Reserve at Lake Keowee. Places I will play, but wouldn’t mind if I didn’t again would be River Falls, Verdae, TPC Myrtle Beach, Pebble Creek, Cobblestone Park, Carolina Springs.

If I had to pick a must play list it includes Palmetto, Harbour Town, Ocean Course.

1 Like

Great leadoff! Have you played both courses at Pebble Creek?

Anywhere in SC that you have’t played and looking to this year?

Yes, I’ve played both at PC.

In SC, still trying to play May River and Yeamans at the top of my list. Have a captain’s choice event at Cliffs at Glassy later this month that will be a new one. Could always play more around Myrtle, but nowhere specific.

SC native, currently living in Charleston, and we have some great golf in this area.

For public courses, Kiawah is a must if you’re willing to pay the greens fees. Osprey and Cougar are my favorites, but Oak Point doesn’t get enough credit (it’s like their bastard child because it’s not located on the actual island). The Ocean Course is in a league of its own, but, fair warning, it’s as tough as advertised. When the wind’s up (it always is), I feel like I’m walking into a fist fight playing out there. I always leave with a black eye and a smile on my face.

If you can make it to Pawley’s Island, Caledonia is an absolute must. It’s a beautifully designed Mike Strantz course, routed on a tiny parcel of land at an old rice plantation. The sister course across the street, True Blue, is much different (wide fairways, dynamic bunkering). I’ve made a day trip to play both courses, with lunch sandwiched in-between, and it’s a great time.

2 Likes

Can’t believe I left out Caledonia. So good!

Palmetto and Ocean for sure, both are well worth the money, but Palmetto is in my top 5 of all courses I’ve ever played. Yeaman’s Hall would be a dream to play if I knew someone that could get me on, place looks pure.

Checking in from Greenville. I’m not a member at any clubs so I typically play most of the courses around town…Verdae, Furman, Pebble Creek, etc. I normally play around a 12 but like most folks that goes up or down depending on how much I can get out.

1 Like

I read you’re not a member, but have you played Greenville CC’s Riverside course? The SC Mid Am is there this October, and I haven’t found much info about it online.

Check with @DCThree on that one.

but seriously, hit me up with any questions.

2 Likes

I just got into the field for the SC Mid Am on 10/05 - 10/07. I won’t be able to make it up to Greenville prior to the first round on Friday due to commitments at work, so I’ll be coming in blind. Hoping I can plot my way through the first round with a yardage book and rangefinder, then take it from there.

I’m really excited to compete in an SCGA event, it’s been about ten years. Any advice about the course (particular holes/shots/etc.) that you’d give to someone who’s seeing the property for the first time in a tournament round? Any tips are appreciated - thanks @DCThree

1 Like

Clemson Grad ‘00 , live in Powdersville now and Southern Oaks is my home course. Grew up in Marion and the famous Dusty Hills CC

1 Like

Growing up in Florence, we played high school matches there a few times a year. Are they still open?

Dusty Hills was open this summer but barely. It’s on the honor starter, if you want to play you just put your money in the bucket in the pro shop. They were still cutting the greens and the fairways but not much else. Sad to see Dusty and Pineland closing.

Originally from Mass but moved down to Myrtle Beach almost 3 years ago now for work. Have the Prime Time card so play a lot of the Founders Group courses in MB and Pawleys. Love Willbrook, Grande Dunes, Pine Lakes, Wild Wing, Pawleys Plantation, Long Bay, Kings North. Still haven’t gotten to Caledonia but it’s on the list

I have the Passport card and love it. Only downsides are some courses don’t let you book as a single online but you can call those in and that you can only book 48 hours in advance.

Caledonia is my favorite course down here. Off season with my card it’s like $70. Can’t beat that.

09’ Clemson grad, live in the Greenville area. Play at Fox Run over in Simpsonville.

Saw someone else mention it being for sale a while back but what do y’all think about this new plan for the Par 3 course - Crosswinds?

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/taking-a-mulligan-crosswinds-golf-course-gets-a-new-owner-and-a-major-do-over/

Always good to have another Clemson grad in here, I’m 2007 if you didn’t get a chance to read from the beginning. I play at Holly Tree. The plans for Crosswinds are crazy. If they can pull it off that place will be great.

2 Likes