Roll Call: South Carolina Golfers

@tres_carlos and I have tried to get together but hasn’t happened yet.

I don’t play a ton of summer golf but I’d love to get a group together around town. I play most of my golf at Mid Carolina.

We could always twist @drv4show arm to play Lexington sometime too.

Anytime!

Welcome! I’m fairly new to the refuge as well. Live in Cobblestone. Would love to go hit some with you all you Cola guys sometime!

Anyone have any insight on Palmetto during this pandemic? Going to be in the area with some buddies in a few weeks and was thinking about trying to get on for a sunday am round. Don’t know if that’s even possible for an unaccompanied sunday am round and if they have guests during covid. Any insight would be great.

Thanks!

They are allowing guest but I haven’t heard about unaccompanied.

Oh sweet, you play in the men’s group on Saturday morning at all?

Not yet. Moved in last October and still fairly new to the community. Hopefully soon though

Gotcha, welcome to the area then. It is a great group out there. Also the only way to play on Saturday mornings there lol.

1 Like

@AlanMP & @Churchie, I just moved up to Blythewood a couple months ago so let’s get a round at CP soon. @LukeBoatright I’m game for Mid Carolina anytime.

@lordmang I’d agree with Luke that Northwoods is probably the best (only?) walkable public course in the area. I played a lot out at Golden Hills when I lived in Lexington and it’s a fairly easy walk too if you are out that way.

Charwood and Windermere are fine if its your only options but are just very meh courses (Winderemere is a steal on the weekdays, though they may be closed by the end of the year) Skip Linrick. Same for Indian River.

2 Likes

Not a big fan of Linrick? Gives the true muni vibes but I think it’s got ok value. Hate Indian River though. That dumb par 5 15th hole (I think, havent played in awhile) is awful.

I played out at Ft. Jackson a few weeks ago and was in great condition. If you can get out there, both courses they have are respectable. Also have a civilian membership if interested.

I am from Nashville but will be playing Litchfield River Club on Friday morning and True Blue on Saturday morning if anyone is interested.

For me, LinRick is just overrun and slow (so yeah I guess muni vibes) but I can get the same at Northwoods and not drive as far. Last time I played Indian River they had let the greens burn and didnt say a thing about it while still charging full rate. I’d like to think they consider that 15th their “Tobacco Road” hole with the elevation change and the water tower.

I’ve always enjoyed playing out at Fort Jackson. Had no idea they were offering civilian access now.

circling back - Dunes West had aerated their greens about a week before we played it and they were already healing back up rather nicely. Charleston National was aerating while we were there, so we played the back twice, which was kind of weird since they didn’t block off tee times, so when we went from 18 green back to 10 tee we just queued up and waited behind the 6 groups stacked up in front of us - not ideal. Greens we played were in great shape and I’d imaging the ones they just aerated will heal up nicely too

In case anyone missed it, Zac Blair Has acquired land outside Aiken, and King-Collins is on board for the design.

The City of Aiken Amateur Championship is now open to all qualified CSRA/South Carolina golfers. Registration is open until Sept. 6, and the tournament is the 12th and 13th.

https://aikengolfclub.net/golf-championship/

1 Like

Anyone interested in playing Kiawah Ocean course on 9/16 or 9/17? I’m around scratch and would be interested in playing the back tees. Would be fun to see the course before the upcoming PGA.

I was just out there 3-ish weeks ago and played the Ocean tees. Course is in great shape already. If you catch a windy day (which most are), it’s a bear from the backs. If you go tips on every hole (no matter the tee box), it’s around 8100 yards. Around 2005 I was playing to scratch and got a couple friends to go down there; we played the course at about 7650y as our caddies estimated. I shot an 81 and didn’t feel like I’d missed very many shots. Still have no clue how Rory did what he did in 2012 (course listed at 7,676y that week).

I’ve played every tee in every condition down there. When it’s windy that place is just dumb.

Wind was pretty steady in from the ocean at 20-25 MPH, gusts in the 30s. On 14 I pulled 7-iron @ ~190y, intent was to ride the right-to-left wind to back pin. I aimed out over the beach, struck it solid and on my line, and missed the green long left. The next few holes were easy to trust: aim down the dunes and swing hard, let the wind bring it back to the fairway.

hey, thanks for the info. Yes, 8100! yards is a bit much. I was thinking 7500 would be about the yardage for the PGA. Fun to play a course well and struggle to break 80!