Roll Call: South Carolina Golfers

Once played it 2 weeks apart. 74 (best round on the course) and around 104 2 weeks later in some biblical conditions. Same tees.

What’s up South Carolina - got a question. My wife and I are going to the Montage in Palmetto Bluff in October for our anniversary. I booked a tee time at their golf course, May River Golf Club, but was wondering 1) if anyone knew anything about the course (is it decent) and 2) If there’s better options around. Appreciate it.

Yes, it is very solid. It’s almost always in good condition since the budget is pretty big. It’s a Jack Nicklaus course, but better than most of the other ones I have played.

You’re close to Hilton Head, relatively, so you could do Harbour Town as well.

Hey y’all, long time listener, first time caller.

I’m in Charleston and play out of Daniel Island and am also fortunate enough to be an associate at Yeamans Hall. Handicap is 1, but I can shoot anywhere from 69 to 89 on any given day…consistency is definitely not my forte.

My access to Yeamans ends for the year on Sep 27th, but if any of y’all want to tee it up at Daniel Island let me know. Both courses went through a rough patch in 2018 due to what I call “criminal neglect” by the former superintendent that was exposed for all to see after the snow in Jan 2018.

Fortunately, ownership got rid of him and brought on a phenomenal super who has done extensive work on both courses over the last two years. Fairways are firm and fast when the weather allows and the greens are firm and getting faster every day.

Beresford Creek (Fazio) is a fun track and Ralston Creek (Jones - host of Nationwide Tour Championship 2010 - 2012) can be fun or a torture chamber depending on the wind since it’s more exposed.

Cheers!

Marc

8 Likes

Welcome!

I’ve always enjoyed the DI courses. Haven’t been down in a while. Will definitely head down to tee
It up some time.

Welcome man! Any chance you need a playing partner at Yeamans sayyyyyyyyyyy…this weekend?

1 Like

Also. RiP in peace your Inbox for the guy lining up to play yeamans. Of which I will be one.

5 Likes

Please let us all recognize I called FIRST.

1 Like

I’ll agree with Luke! Both of the courses at DI have been on my list to play, so hopefully we can make that happen.

New member here. I just moved back to Columbia from the lowcountry.

I grew up a member at Camden Country Club, was a member at Crowfield (Goose Creek) for the past few years, and I’m trying to figure out what I want to do now that I’m back in the midlands.

I live downtown (Shandon), so the only course close to me is Forest Lake…good luck with that.

I’m thinking my options are:

1. Out of town membership at Camden - 40 minute drive
  2. Columbia Country Club - 30 minute drive
  3. Spring Valley Country Club - 20 minute drive
  4. Try to get a civilian membership at Fort Jackson - 15 minute drive (@tres_carlos thanks for mentioning this earlier in the thread)

Seems like there are A LOT of Columbia CC guys here. I also have a co-worker who is a member who raves about it. What’s the culture like there? Is it pretty laid back? I played there 10+ years ago as a reciprocal with Camden, but remember next to nothing.

A little surprised I didn’t see any Spring Valley people chime in here.

@Chippycut and @Blewett are at CCC and i’m sure there are others.

i’m not sure about the civilian membership at FTJ as i saw someone else mention that, but @Churchie could probably enlighten us all. He’s also at Cobblestone so he can chime in there as well.

I’m curious about SVCC also. Haven’t been out there in years.

Camden would be a great choice obviously, but you can also give Orangeburg CC a look as an out of town option. I’ve enjoyed the hell out of that course every time i’ve played it. Probably 50 minutes from downtown.

This is the top of list answer. No brainer. Would love to tee it up sometime.

1 Like

Welcome man. I’m in your shoes too. I live in the Lake Katherine area (behind Whole Foods) and have the same golf dilemma. Haven’t joined anywhere but mainly because I have two little ones and my wife would murder me if I was gone for 5+ hours every weekend. Usually just play every so often at Spur or Linrick

1 Like

What are you looking for? Quick casual rounds in the afternoons? Competitive play? Best conditions? Best design? Practice facilities?

One thing you should know is Camden, Columbia, Orangeburg and Lexington have reciprocals. I play Camden maybe 10-15 times a year at $20 a pop reciprocal.

1 Like

Whoa there’s no limit on the number of reciprocal rounds…?

That alone would be worth the cost of membership at CCC

CCC and Spring Valley supposedly have reciprocals with my club (Holly Tree). I’m planning to take advantage of those this fall hopefully. I’ll try to coax @LukeBoatright along with me.

Man, I miss playing out at Columbia, greens were pure and you could always find a good money game

2 Likes

Coax me?

You’re the one who won’t go play anywhere. I’m ready for some damn fall golf. It’s almost sweater vest SZN.

1 Like

I think there’s a once a month limit, but it’s relaxed for aerification and tournaments, etc. Camden is chill with it, and I usually play w members out there.

1 Like

I can look into civilian memberships at Jackson, but right now it’s really about being able to get on post that’s an issue. I live at Cobblestone, so I’m all in there, course has been great with the SC Women’s Open last month, and for what I can see, it’s always in great shape. My only complaint about Cobblestone is that I really enjoy walking, and it’s not the most friendly to walk. All of us Midlands guis, need to get together soon somewhere, even just to drink and talk about golf sometime! See you in Aiken if you’re on the list!

1 Like