Roll Call: South Carolina Golfers

Spartanburg by way of Cola/Irmo here. Wofford grad.

I have it in my ring as well. If you were in Delta in 83, did you know Tracey Tynan? His son Sean and I were classmates

1 Like

Tracey was '82 and one of those Squad Corporals you hated when you were a knob and became great friends with for the rest of our time there.

2 Likes

Playing Aiken today for the first time. Looking for somewhere else to play tomorrow morning. Any ideas guys?

4 Likes

Any connections to Palmetto, if so go there for sure.

Eh, it’s not like the greasers and the socs or anything. More of a bit at this point.

1 Like

Lol it’s not really a thing. I mean I’m sure there’s some asshat redneck around that’ll say it.

Sorry I had not seen this, would have invited you to Columbia Cc. If you’re driving back from Aiken East, you’ve got to play Camden.

2 Likes

Appreciate it. We just played Aiken and headed back. I’ll let you know next time I come down.

1 Like

I believe the saying originated in the coastal areas when folks would move down to get away, but complain about the pace of life, or traffic, or whatever, and how much better they did things in Ohio. This prompted locals to ask “if everything was so much better there, why don’t you just go back?”

hey guys - I’m going to be making the trek from ATL to play Aiken Golf Club on Friday, May 15. It’s only me right now and planning to play early that morning, so if anyone wants to join, let me know.

3 Likes

This may be a long shot, but firing it up here. Anyone form Spartanburg? I’m moving there shortly and with all this going on can’t go look at places to stay. If you are, know anything about the montgomery building or drayton mills?

I’ve eaten at the restaurant next to the drayton mills, does that count? Looks like they’ve since switched names/owner. All I remember is the complex was nice but not much on the other side of the street or in the surrounding areas. It looks like they’ve added more shops. Turning old mills into apartments has become popular recently in the area. I’ve had some friends live in the ones in Greenville and enjoy it.

1 Like

Fellas – will be in the Lake Keowee area in a few weeks (on west side, between Walhalla and Seneca). Looking to get in a round somewhere that’s public. At first glance, Walker Course at Clemson seems like it might be my best bet. Anywhere else you’d recommend over that?

You could probably get on with a call to Currajee even though it’s private. Walker is decent but I haven’t played it in a while.

1 Like

I grew up in Spartanburg, but live in Kansas City now. My parents are still there, so we get back fairly often. Both of them sat empty forever, but have been redeveloped over the last couple of years. If you are looking for walkability Montgomery building is just off Morgan Square which is the main downtown area. Drayton has some development around it, but not nearly the options as Montgomery. Drayton is pretty close to the Hillcrest shopping area that has plenty of restaurants, grocery, etc.

I haven’t been in either to see the living arrangements, but Drayton is brick walls with tall ceilings a “loft” look and Montgomery a more traditional “apartment” look. Both are on the east side of town, and if that is the side of town you will be working, would definitely recommend living on that side verses the west side.

Hope that is helpful. Happy to answer any other questions you have!

1 Like

Got one spot at Aiken on Saturday at 11 if anyone wants in. Playing with @FAB7115 and possibly one other Refugee.

3 Likes

Guis, figured I’d post this in here since River Hills CC is technically in SC. I live in Charlotte and recently joined River Hills. I’ve met a handful of people out there just by being there, but curious to see if there’s any other members active on the Refuge.

Cheers!

My wife’s parents are in Matthews so I’m up there just about every other weekend. Haven’t played a single course in the area yet but sigh wistfully when we drive by quail hollow.

That’s a fun course! Not supper long but tight with good shot making opportunities.