Roll Call: South Carolina Golfers

Wait people out of college go to Jakes??

1 Like

I know of 50+ year olds that go to Jake’s

Once. Reluctantly. I’m a transplant and was duped. What a shit show

Yes because they’re in law school. Was the “law school bar” while I was there.

Can confirm

1 Like

@dbart! Where have you been! Quit schoolin and come play golf

1 Like

We hit up Hunter and gather, and then also Columbia craft this evening

If nothing develops on Friday, I will try to find you

1 Like

Jakes is awesome. Haven’t been in several years though

Hey folks (non PGS roost members) wanted to cross post here about our NIT event coming up. Sign up if interested!

4 Likes

Long time looker, first time poster. I live in Charleston, but I’m doing my bachelor party in Charlotte soon-ish. Looking for some courses to check out, as well as any other restaurant/brewery recs y’all have.

Welcome. A Charleston bud just moved up to Charlotte and people are reaching out to get him connected. I’m interested in what you find out and I’ll keep you posted too.

In laws are there so I’ve been a visitor for the better part of a decade. Never golfed once though, lol.

Optimist Hall is a cool hang/food spot. Most of the breweries are in the Noda area, haven’t been disappointed yet but Wooden Robot and NoDa are my favs.

Pinky’s is a can’t miss dinner spot, just don’t go on a diet. Chima would probably be a better bachelor party dinner though, and it’s well situated downtown so you can do a bar crawl after.

I appreciate it fellas

South Carolina peeps looking for some insight. Heading down to Kiahwah with a very large group (16) in a few weeks and have a few logistical questions:

• What’s up with Uber down there? Everything I have read is its pretty sparse once you get on the island. We are hoping to leave the resort 1 or 2 nights to go to a local spot in Johns islad and watch some college hoops but want to make sure we will be able to get rides each way

• That said any recommendations for a good spot with enough TVs to watch the games specifically on Friday 3/22 when there is a bunch on. We are playing in the morning and hoping to role into a late afternoon session watching games

It is very sparse. It’s not great in CHS in general, even worse out there. Kiawah is not as close/convenient as it looks on a map. You might be better off hiring a party bus since there’s 16 of you. There’s a few sports bars on Maybank Hwy near(ish) the Muni. Also could do Bohemian Bull on James Island. But that part of town isn’t my specialty. Probably a few other guys around with better ideas.

1 Like

I would definitely avoid relying on Uber. It is extremely hard to get them on kiawah. For convenience the best bet is probably salty dog just outside of Freshfields village. If I recall, the Ryder cup bar and bar at cougar point don’t have ideal TV situations.

If the group isn’t from here, I’d probably get a party bus and go downtown. It’s around 45 minutes, and there are tons of good sports bar options like Beer Works. John’s island has cool breweries but I wouldn’t watch NCAA tournament games there

There are a couple good spots at the market area right when you get to the Kiawah traffic circle. Much easier than going farther off island.

Also a couple of the golf club house spots would be good for this as well.

King Street Grille at Freshfields, Salty Dog on Seabrook or Tattooed Moose on Johns Island are probably the best options for a group that big unless you want to drive 30-45 minutes each way.

Kiawah is very isolated. It’s designed to discourage you from leaving.

I second the party bus idea. I’ve never tried to Uber out there because I’ve always had my car, but I can’t imagine it’s a viable option.

This is super helpful and exactly what I expected. I had King Street on my list of options for the games and the other Fischer’s pub but can’t get a sense of the TV situation from online research.

Most of us have been to Charleston before so not sure it’s necessary to go that far just want to find the easiest place to catch the games one night. Will look into the party bus option.

I second Tattooed Moose. They have some of the best “bar food” in Charleston although I’m not sure what the TV situation is there. Get the duck club sandwich and the garlic confit fries. They also have an amazing beer offering for local stuff.

3 Likes