Roll Call: South Carolina Golfers

I’m actually not signed up. Do I just add my info to the Google Sheet?

2 Likes

Yes that will do it. If you’re not in the roost yet @EZmiss can set you up.

1 Like

Perfect. Just added my info. Let me know if I need to do anything else.

1 Like

Hello South Carolina Golfers, my brother and I are likely going to have a day to play 36 in Myrtle area in August. My current plan is try to get tee times on Caledonia and True Blue down on Pawley, as even though its a longer drive from Kure beach where we are staying with family, we both loved Tobacco Road and figured we’d get some more Strantz in. Any reasons this is not the move / any other courses you would recommend instead / any must hit food spots for dinner on the drive back?

2 Likes

Man that is a HIKE to play those two courses. So you’re driving 2.5 hours, playing 36, then 2.5 back? The heart wants what the heart wants.

I might recommend trying to play Thistle and Tidewater since they’re about an hour closer then get dinner in Calabash before driving back to Kure.

5 Likes

Yeah those are fun courses for sure but I wouldn’t drive 5 hours duirng the day to play both.

But would highly recommend if they were within an hour.

I’d recommend changing where you’re staying because those two are that much better than other Myrtle options to me… but 5 hours of car plus 10ish hours of hard golf is not for the faint of heart.

Not sure if this is the place…But got a Thursday afternoon tee time all by my lonesome at River Oaks if anyone fancies :handshake:

Okay seeing this response and @Akarito 's has me torn…

One option seems to be drive to Pawleys night before, grab a room at the Best Western or something close, then play True Blue / Caledonia and drive home. Still tough but less drive time and a not-as-early wake up.

Other option is shorten the drive time and keep it all contained in one day by playing in the North Myrtle / Calabash area, with current recommendations of Thistle and Tidewater - any other recs here?

Given the experience of this group in the area, any feelings one way or another?

Given that it will be August and you are going to be at the whims of the Southern Thunderstorm Gods and Slow Play Gods, I would recommend your first option.

True Blue and Caledonia are right across the street from each other and sister courses so they’ll likely be more open to helping you make sure you get all 36 in. It’s still a long ass 36 hours for you, but is more feasible.

Thistle and Tidewater are a little further apart and having been out on Tidewater a few times in the summer it gets INCREDIBLY slow. Tidewater in the morning and then Thistle in the afternoon is more doable because Thistle is a little off the beaten path and has 27 holes. As far as other recs up there, Glen Dornoch is pretty good and I like Oyster Bay or The Pearl (others here probably won’t) because they have some holes on the River.

2 Likes

Moved to Greenville back in December play to a +2 always looking for some new people to play with. I mainly play on Sundays.

5 Likes

I’m out at Three Pines in Woodruff. Happy to host anytime. Play every Saturday and Sunday when in town and not playing events.

1 Like

Welcome! Glad to have you. Keep an eye out for our roost events if that’s of interest for you.

Going to be in Garden City June 18th to 24th anyone else be in the area to play a round? Have been to the area multiple times for golf trips but never played golf there as a solo how is it? Any recommendations would be welcomed.

Played Camden over the weekend. That place fuqs.

8 Likes

it is so fucking good.

3 Likes

Everything about it is good. The greens, the vibe, it’s so laid back but such a gem. Can’t wait to hit it up again. Underrated course imo.

4 Likes

Is it the type of private course that a letter or email asking to play it as a guest would get me on there?

2 Likes

Pretty laid back but they’re getting a bit more austere.

I believe a pro calling on your behalf or a letter/call to the GM (Wayne) would probably work.

5 yrs ago it was very easy. They’re still friendly about it, but they have been bumping reciprocal play later in the day (lunchtime), and upped their reciprocal rates from cart fee to $50.

Still super easy and welcoming, and 100% worth it.

Greens are pure right now, and the Reno work is starting to come together.

3 Likes

Are they doing more course work or just the tree removal?

1 Like