Roll Call: South Carolina Golfers

Howdy guys. Neww-ish member here. Parents recently moved to Murrels Inlet. Looking to join the club we got down here if that’s possible? Will most likely be spending most of the summer down there, and as much as I love playing with old fellas three tees up from me who beat me by 20 strokes I’d like to play with someone within 3 generations of me. Anyone able to point me in the direction of that roost?

Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

@PalmettoGolfSociety Is the roost covering Murrells. Surprisingly we don’t have a big contingent in the MB area as far as I know. If you want to join our roost, I can add you so you can keep up with everything we’ve got going on.

That is honestly a little shocking, but makes sense as it’s more of a vacation destination than anything. I’d love to be added if that’s possible!

You’re good to go and should have access to the Crew’s section

As for MB, I think most of us are clustered in the main city areas (Greenville, Charleston, Columbia) but we have a few outliers in the Hilton Head, Aiken, and other areas.

Thanks for the invite! Stinks about nobody in Myrtle, but maybe some people will plan some trips and we can get some swings in. Thanks again!

1 Like

Have golf, will travel. The people will come, Ray. The people will most definitely come.

3 Likes

I think @chaptodd is our resident MB area golfer?

2 Likes

Grew up in Myrtle Beach (Surfside) but now live in Greenville. My in laws still live there so I am down there multiple times a year. Welcome to the group!

Gimme a holla if you’re ever around!

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation, Patriots Point was the front runner based on the few ocean adjacent holes. Any word on the condition recently? That seems like the main criticism but most of it seems to be from at least a few years ago.

I’ve heard consistent, and continuous blah reviews for years. Including very recently. For the price the conditions and play are not worth it. If you’re bad at golf, want cool views (no trees), don’t care about good conditions, and want to play it once then it might work. I went just to add the scoring pencil to my wall. I enjoyed it for a charity best ball but would hesitate to go back at rack rate.

1 Like

@BaxterMSP how was Patriots last week?

1 Like

I got the local rate and was able to play for $85, which is the highest I would probably go. Conditions are definitely average at best. Greens were a little strange as they looked relatively shitty in general, yet they certainly rolled true.

Maybe that’s a positive side effect when you have to putt through huge patches without grass present?

Overall, some golf is better than no golf.

2 Likes

I haven’t played it in a few years, but would agree with the comments below. It is never in the best shape, but its open off the tee and has some cool views. DW and RT are definitely better courses, but it adds 20 min each way. It’s probably your best bet for a bachelor party, unless you guys are golf sickos willing to drive 2 hours to Caledonia/TB.

2 Likes

Go play the Walker Course at Clemson as soon as you get to Greenville. My favorite public course in the upstate.

1 Like

If @hakimimj options don’t pan out, try Wescott and Crowfield. Both have decent places to grab drinks post round.

1 Like

Declaring April Monthly Quota intent, 4/16 at SVCC, for @Highfade, @BarnacleRob, @ tres_carlos and myself. Will post results in the April Monthly Quota.

7 Likes

Hey folks, I am coming down to Charleston next week and we have 4 of 5 rounds booked at the following courses: Turtle Point, Links at Stono Ferry, Charleston National, Charleston Muni. Looking at this thread it looks like Patriots isn’t worth it, so I am wondering if there is another course that would be recommended. Dunes West maybe? I’m sure this question gets asked a lot so apologies for the redundancy. Thanks guys

Edit: looks like we are leaning toward Rivertowne

1 Like

Rivertowne is a good choice. The Links Course at Wild Dunes is good, but resort prices.

Hey SC folks. Wife and I are taking our soon to be 3 year old down to Savannah/HHI next week (Sat to Sat). I already have tee times set up at H-Town and Atlantic Dunes, but dropping a line to see if anyone might be interested in getting out for 18 if I can squeeze one in around the weather.

As per the usual travel based post, I’m all for suggestions on recs of things to do and eat in either area - especially in the nice but kid friendly restaurant department.