Roll Call: South Carolina Golfers

i had to double check what that meant and he and I are the same age. I guess it’s a side effect of getting married at a young age. I’ve lost touch with the vernacular

1 Like

I just booked a single spot in the 8:39a tee time at Southbridge for next Sat (2/18), if anyone is able/willing to join - jump online (https://southbridge-golf-club.book.teeitup.golf/?course=9349&date=2023-02-18) and let me know if you’re joining!

I have not. I moved away a year and a half ago and they were still working on the addition when I left. Always a good selection of beers and the visiting food trucks have historically been choice!

1 Like

Greetings, Sandlappers. I’m making my first ever visit to your state from the 18th to the 22nd. Staying at Kiawah and playing the Ocean Course on the 21st. Hoping to play Charleston Muni on the 20th. Looking for a game on the 19th (Sunday) in the morning. Anyone want to host me at Yeamans or CC of Charleston? :grin:

Also considering adding a round at the resort that morning. Is Ocean worth playing (and paying) twice or is there a consensus second best Kiawah course?

1 Like

Is the cost for Ocean still $600? The cost for the other courses was $280 last year, so I’m personally not sure playing another round on Ocean or one of the non-Ocean courses is really worth it, but I’m not sure how big your pocket book is. My second favorite course at Kiawah is Turtle Point and it’s a pretty generic resort course, but it is conditioned very well and a perfectly pleasant place to play. If you’re bothering looking for a connection at Yeamans, you might as well look for one at the Kiawah Island Club since Cassique and the River course (both on Kiawah Island) are very very good. Unfortunately I don’t have those connections lol.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. Resort website says Ocean is $500 and the other courses are $180. I’ll take a look at Turtle Point.

There’s no consensus second best course. Turtle, Osprey, and Cougar are all pretty similar. I’ve never played Oak, but if one course seems to be the consensus worst, that’s probably it. These courses all get a fair bit of criticism for being boring architecturally and for being tight with OB on both sides on may holes due to homes. This is only really a fair criticism based on what your expectations are. At the price they charge, you’d expect the designs to be on the level of other courses at that price point (like Streamsong or Pinehurst), but they are only really priced that high due to the location. I’d go in with the expectations that they’re all courses that are probably worth about $100 anywhere else, but you’re paying extra for the location.

Ocean’s probably worth the $500 to play once (which you are), but I wouldn’t say playing a second time on the same trip is essential.

1 Like

Turtle was the backup plan if the ocean course was delayed before the 91 ryder cup, if that helps you at all.

1 Like

Start calling you Danny Dimes with that knowledge drop

2 Likes

What a national embarrassment that would have been.

If true.

5 Likes

I can only cite my sources.

Gillespie, Bob, and Tommy Braswell. South Carolina Golf (Sports) . History PR, 2021.

1 Like

I would look into Heritage instead of Pawley’s Plantation. Plawley’s Plantation is very narrow and a tough track.

1 Like

Does anyone know what time of day the tee times open up for Charleston Muni? I really want to get to play the course with my son on our way to his tournament, so I’m willing to set an alarm to try and get a slot.

It’s for next Friday, the 24th, so do I need to get on at midnight the 17th?

Thanks

Looking for advice. Kiawah vs Sea Island. 8 guys, all in our early 40’s. Annual trip for 2024, September timeline. Sea Island wins on lodging (King Cottage), Does Kiawah quality of golf blow away Sea Island? Would be staying 2 nights and playing 3 rounds of golf total. Coming from Boston.

Sea Island by a mile.

Outside of OC Kiawah isn’t great.

6 Likes

By ten miles

2 Likes

Food situation at sea island/st simons is miles ahead also

4 Likes

100%. Ocean is pretty cool though

Sea Island every day - there’s no comparison

7 Likes

I’m fairly certain it is 7 am. You need to be logged in and ready because they go quick. I’d do a dry run the day before to get familiar with their screwy system

1 Like