Roll Call: South Carolina Golfers

Where in SC are you staying? Or do you plan to structure your weekend getaway based on which areas may have the best golf? Is golf the primary purpose? Or other touristy activities?

Charleston would be the most typical “destination”, but the public access golf leaves a bit to be desired unless you’re going to shell out for the Ocean Course.

Myrtle isn’t really the most romantic getaway, but has great public access.

HHI is somewhere in between.

With no information I’d tell you to take a look at the Pawleys Island area. Caledonia / True Blue is a fun 1-2 combo for golf, and it’s a good place for time with your spouse.

2 Likes

The very clear answer here is South of the Border/Dillon metro area.

9 Likes

Olde English Trail!

2 Likes

Get off my block. I am not sharing yet

2 Likes

Worth heading over there to play? I’ve only played at Traces because I can basically walk to it from my brothers house.

I have not yet played it. @EZmiss has.

It won’t be the best conditioned place but what the family is trying to do should be supported. I am planning a trip this spring to check it out.

2 Likes

Hello SC crew, I’ve got some friends who will be in town for The Masters and were wondering if and what golf was worth playing in the Columbia area.

I told them I knew a place to ask this question even though I did not get an invite to tag along on their family trip.

Tons of info in the masters thread.

Short answer.

Aiken GC
Palmetto

Camden
Columbia CC
Lexington CC

5 Likes

@LukeBoatright struggles with Columbia and geography sometimes because Aiken and Palmetto aren’t. SMH

Camden, Columbia, and Lexington aren’t bad. Wildewood, Woodlands, Woodcreek, and Cobblestone are all close to Columbia as well.

Problem they will run in to are the prices. Even in Columbia, the privates will open up and charge and arm and a leg for a tee time knowing they’ll get it.

1 Like

I’ve shared this in other forums so some are probably tired of reading (they can kick rocks). I checked it out in early November. The bones are there but it was neglected for awhile. I think eventually it’ll be a great spot, but might take awhile. As I have told others, the best part is is that they are very self aware of the conditions it is in and what they want to do with it. Caleb, who owns it with his dad, was great to us and talked to us about what they’re doing and wanted to have anyone and everyone out whenever we wanted. They’re a good follow on instagram and have done some great things with re-branding already.

1 Like

can you define a arm and a leg?

Just because America’s guest doesn’t have to pay doesn’t mean the rest of us don’t.

Aiken (not in Columbia, again) is $135 that week and while it is cool, that is nearly $100 more than the normal rate. Not to mention the fight to get a tee time.

@LukeBoatright and @EZmiss hit the highlights for you here. Unfortunately, Columbia golf leaves something to be desired, especially if you look for public access. The good news is that masters week is pretty much open for play, even at the private courses. Aiken area clubs will be crawling, but probably afford the best golf. Camden is ~40 minutes from town, the opposite direction of ANGC. Camden is private, but the most interesting design (and conditioning) in mid SC. Columbia, Lexington, and Orangeburg are all options on par with one another. I personally think Lexington is boring and a racetrack, but it’s well conditioned and convenient. Woodcreek is probably on that level as well, but it can be wet and their guest policies are tighter than most. The next tier would be Cobblestone, Northwoods, Wildewood and Spring Valley. All serviceable, but with some warts. After those, good luck.

Side note, I26 might as well be the moon to me, so I can’t speak to Mid Carolina or Timberlakes.

Musgrove Mill in Clinton is a beast, but some people love it. Not sure their policies during masters week.

1 Like

This is a lie. Nobody loves it. It can’t be loved. It is unlovable.

2 Likes

I’d personally rather swing two iron shots into a brick wall from 10’ away than play anything important there, but I swear some people think it’s one of the best in state.

That’s river falls. I love musgrove. If I’m the only one that’s fine.

2 Likes

Musgrove is awesome. Find a new slant.

If I had to choose in paying Masters rates at Lexington vs. Aiken I’d pay twice as much to play Aiken which is why I suggested it.

5 Likes

Fire River Falls into the fucking sun!

1 Like

Come to greenwood and pay our normal rate of $45 masters week, only an hour from augusta and 90 mins from columbia. They’ve removed 40+ trees this offseason!

3 Likes

The Charwood disrespect in here…

6 Likes