Roll Call: South Carolina Golfers

If you’ve got a pro that can call, Country Club of Spartanburg and Thornblade are really good private options within 30 min of the plant.

2 Likes

Dropping in from the Colorado thread here. I’m going to be near Myrtle Beach in about 3 weeks, and I’m going to play golf once there. I want to play either True Blue or Caledonia. It sounds like from a quick search that Caledonia is seen as the better course. Is that right? And since it’s only one round, I’m not bring clubs. Is the rental club situation okay there?

1 Like

Everything will be open, just flip a coin on the weather you’ll get. Might be 60 and sunny or 30 and snowing.

3 Likes

I like both courses but would play Caledonia seven out of ten times.

On rentals–just let the shop know you need them and they will usually drag a set from storage.

2 Likes

I’d choose Caledonia also, it’s a cool experience, but TB is really fun. I’d go 6-4 in 10 rounds.

1 Like

12 Likes

Love that place.

The par 5 on the back is still dumb.

2 Likes

Bulls Bay hosted the 3A SCHSL championship this week. I didn’t get to play since I’m the coach but I did walk if for 3 days and watched my son shoot 82-81, his best 36 holes in his career. And got some cool merch

8 Likes

Yeah, kids blew up that hole big time. They had rules officials assigned to just that hole because of the issues

Not sure what 3 weeks will bring but I’ve heard that Caledonia has 5 greens that are not in great shape. Basically painted dirt. I haven’t played down there since last year but might want to check before setting up a round.

The back is fantastic but 13 suuuuucks

Thanks for the tip. I see that in recent reviews. I will keep an eye on that.

Recent intel says they’re greatly improved. Should be fine by the summer.

1 Like

Nice. Figured as much but hadn’t seen anything confirming that.

1 Like

Haven’t seen it myself, but some people I know have been recently and it seems to be getting a lot better.

4 Likes

Going to have to push my wife to go 95 up to NC next time and plan out 30-45 minutes in the trip for the stop

1 Like

Also, pga superstore rents clubs! They have 2 out 3 brands too. If look that route. I played titleist clubs with a scotty last year.

1 Like

One of my favorite courses! Fox Creek High School is one of our local schools, so I was pumped for them to get the chance to play there - I wasn’t jealous of the wind they faced, though. Between that, and 4A playing Forest Lake, and 5A playing the Muni, it was a pretty sweet selection of courses for the state championships!

1 Like

Hi all - popping in again with a Caledonia question. I am scheduled to play there next Wednesday, but I know a few greens were in rough shape. Has anyone played recently and seen what shape the greens are? I do plan on calling, but I feel like I’m going to get a more accurate report from someone who has been there recently.