Roll Call: South Carolina Golfers

(This one is for the parents)

3 Likes

We have a spot available this Saturday at Charleston Muni. Anyone want to join?? 10:48 tee
Time.

I know I had posted previously, but preparing to lock down some public golf under the assumption the Palmetto waitlist call isn’t going to come

Greenville / Columbia locals:

Would we go wrong trying to play at Cobblestone? We had originally eyed Timberlake CC but then came upon some bad reviews about losing greens and overall quality…

Fearing that I could find a bad review for just about anywhere, so looking for some local knowledge / advice, thanks!

Looking to play 36 (ideally) on 4/3 and have room for two btw

Also, dinner recommendations in Columbia are welcomed…part of me just wants to try Bojangles for the first time, but open to some local recs

where are you staying?

Bojangles for breakfast is a must.

2 Likes

Saturday flying in to Greenville and just a hotel near airport

Still figuring out Sunday golf, but staying at an airbnb in Irmo on Sunday night

So really anywhere in Greenville, between the two, or in Columbia…we are open

Best golf between the two will be Musgrove Mill. I dont know what their Masters week offerings are (if any). Mid Carolina (home to young Dustin Johnson) will be close to you in Irmo. Columbia golf stinks. Cobblestone will probably be best. It’ll be an hour or so from you, but see if someone can get you on Camden (old Ross). If all that fails you can always try to get on at Aiken, but I imagine they will be as full, if not fuller, than Palmetto.

1 Like

Have already made some calls

Musgrove is no unaccompanied during Masters week
Mid Carolina is Mon-Weds only for public play

Seems like Cobblestone may be the play, have to play the 7 day booking window game though

There could be some around here who might be able to help with those two (not me).

Columbia Country Club is pretty nice and hosts USGA qualifying every few years. I think they do a Masters Week public play. We have a few members on here who would know better than I would

@EZmiss nails it. I feel like three or four of us have given the same responses to the same question a variety of ways over the past year on here.

If you can get on, prioritize Musgrove and Camden for the Columbia area. Orangeburg is a good one too, but would require some travel to get there. Columbia CC probably allows out of town play masters week (I can validate this evening).

Reputation of Cobblestone is that it’s fine, but mark aside 5hrs.

For meals:

“Nice Dinner” places: Motor Supply, Halls, DiVino Rosso, Saludas

Casual places: Tazza Kitchen, The Hangar, Savage Brewing.

If you go to Camden, get yourself a table at Salud downtown.

DM me for any detailed questions

1 Like

We would graciously accept an invite to anywhere / anybody willing to host in the area

I’m coming from AZ and happy to reciprocate, if I can

Sorry to make y’all do it again haha, I know the feeling in Phoenix / Scottsdale (“what’s your budget?”)

Oh yea now that @pushdraw is staying out in Irmo we can do food.

Luke will have to tell you about the Irmo things. I hear they have a great Olive Garden and Texas Roadhouse though at Harbison.

For downtown Columbia:
5 Points: Home Team BBQ or Saludas
Vista/Main Street: Bourbon or Hall’s Chophouse
Just outside downtown: Tazza or Pasta Fresca

Breweries near downtown (my ranking):
Columbia Craft, River Rat, Savage, Hanger
If you just want good places to get variety of beers either WECO or Craft & Draft (have an Irmo location too)

1 Like

No worries, didn’t mean to insinuate we won’t answer!

1 Like

With no preference at all, if you had to pick one (food) place to recommend…which one would it be? @Chippycut, you?

1 Like

Difficult because every place I listed would be good for different reasons depending on what you’re looking for.

Home Team is great because it’s BBQ, good sports bar, and in the USC bar area.
Hall’s might be the best food of the list, but is a bit more upscale.
Saludas could be 1b to Hall’s for food and is more southern focused.

Edit: If you’ll be there Sunday I would say Home Team because they do fried chicken on Sundays.

1 Like

This would be Sunday, and that sounds lovely

I suggest getting there early for dinner because they are known to sell out of it. Will allow plenty of time for more beers and Gamechangers though.

1 Like

The Hangar. Good hang, good pizza, good beer, good ambiance.

1 Like

Home Team is a good call too.

If it’s a beautiful day, a great place to sit outside and enjoy a drink is Market on Main. I’d imagine they’d have the masters up on the big screen (they have a huge outdoor patio with bar service and like a 20’ screen, right downtown). Not my favorite food choice, but nice for drinks.

This is Sunday before, we’re headed down to AN for Monday’s practice round…the day between Final 4 and Championship bball game too haha

1 Like

You could be in town when USCs women play in the championship game

1 Like