Roll Call - San Diego

Yeah that’s what I’ve been seeing, you want to play Torrey South on Monday July 18th? :sweat_smile:

Or maybe know a resident that’s available that day or the next and wants to go out?

@jsg_nado has been kind enough to book me on Sunday for the North!

But I’ve never played the South and I want to check it out…

3 Likes

Yeah sure. What time?

2 Likes

When is good for you? PM me!

First time headed to San Diego in early August (3-8).

It sounds like it is difficult to get on at either of the courses at Torrey.

What would locals recommend as a backup idea if Torrey isn’t in the cards? I believe we are staying between the airport and Ocean Beach.

How much you are willing to spend and how far you are willing to drive?

Willing to drive an hour or so. No real budget but probably stay under $200 unless it’s really special.

Probably Maderas and Goat Hill depending on what kind of golf you want.

1 Like

Maderas tops the list for me at that price range.

Please elaborate, I still have another round or 2 to book on my trip in a few weeks. I havent played Balboa or Coronado, and they have been suggested, but I want other options to check out as well.

Nobody say Tecolote Canyon! :rofl:

Maderas - Nice course, good “architecture” without being snobbish, pricey

Balboa - kind of beat down and annoying at times but fun with pretty great views of the downtown area.

Coronado - Do you like wind? Very flat with great views, course hole variety is somewhere between Balboa and Maderas in my opinion.

Goat Hill - cheap, quirky, “run down” in a homey way. Tough. Most “wtf is going on” out of all of them.

I would honestly just find some YouTube vlogs of them all and decide which course fits what you want.

1 Like

Maderas is solid. You should for sure play there. Goat Hill as mentioned is “vibey” for sure but also kinda run down and low key hard as fuck

3 Likes

I have a saying, and it goes “if it isn’t windy are we even golfing?!”

So I certainly don’t mind hitting the knockdowns and the stingers (they’re actually more reminiscent of my stock shot shape :sweat_smile:)

Is Coronado right on the bay? I prefer water views to city views anyhow.

Maderas looks awesome but yeah it is pricey and a bit further out of town.

Goat Hill looks fun as hell and just the kind of rugged scruffy WTF that I like!

I don’t know what your availability is like, but if you wanna play another round while I’m in town, I’m game.

1 Like

I’m probably out since I’m a one-round-a-week at most golfer with everything else going on but there’s a strong SD roost that is full of people who’d probably be down.

1 Like

Ashworth has dumped a bunch of money into Goat and they’re making a ton of improvements to the conditions. It’s still quirky and tough as hell but in no way would I consider it run down anymore. I’d highly recommend it when looking for a memorable course that’s budget friendly.

And depending on the dates I’d love to join anyone there!

2 Likes

I’ll be in town July 17- 19. I’ve got an early AM round at Torrey North on Sunday the17th, a mid morning round at Torrey South on Monday the 18th, and I’m open to play a second round either of those days, and I don’t fly out until Tuesday evening, so early Tuesday works as well!

Can I be honest? Maderas really didn’t do anything for me.

Is it impeccably conditioned? Absolutely. Very pretty to look at? You bet.

Is there a hole out there I would say is actually interesting? Uh, no not really. I mean … maybe 5 kinda asks you to make a choice on the tee shot. But the second shot and green are pretty boring.

I get why people like it. But even at a fraction of the price I wouldn’t really be inclined to add it to my itinerary if I were going to play in San Diego again.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I don’t think san diego has any truly interesting complete public golf courses. I haven’t played enough of the private golf to say too much about it.

Plenty of courses with 9ish holes of exceptional golf (Sea 'n Air back 9) but no complete course is really exceptional

Interested to hear other SD people’s takes

1 Like

From my impression the only interesting course, not goat, is the Farms.

1 Like

Lean toward agreeing?

I am a HUGE fan of Goat but not sure I can call that a complete golf experience, as much as I would live out on that course if I was a SD resident.

I think highly of the Torrey North back nine (best part of the reno was switching the nines) but the front nine mostly stinks.

I always wanted to get out to Barona, but I know they are basically just 9 holes now. When it was the full 18 and really open and in good shape was it as good as some of the raves?

1 Like

I’ve played a ton of golf in SD (family in area), and I really enjoyed Barona. Had no idea it’s not it’s full self. It’s been a bunch of years ago.

1 Like