Roll Call - San Diego

Sad to report greens at balboa are struggling badly ): some sort of disease it looks like. Kinda un-playable in my opinion. Extremely bumpy and inconsistent grass height from green to green.

Recommend playing other courses while they work on it.

Just putting this out here because I don’t feel like working rt now and we need numbers! Hopefully @anon19752398 signs up - I am sure that Winston is ready to walk 18.

2 Likes

We are doing good with over 25 guys signed up

1 Like

Hi guis,

Gonna be in SD around Christmas from Chicago and was looking for local course recommendations. Specifically- is Maderas worth $200~? Going to play Torrey south for the experience, but want to add a second course as well. Staying in Del Mar. Any guidance appreciated. Will be playing second course on 12/29, so if anyone wants to join, even better!

Maderas is Ok, but I would look at Coronado as well as Goat Hill

1 Like

I won’t be in town but if you are in Del Mar i would recommend considering the courses up north a bit. Arrowood is a neat Ted Robinson Jr course, Goat hill is a great option too.

Just a heads up Coronado has mens club 7-11am on 12/29 so that course is not a great option.

1 Like

I agree I would say Coronado is a better track all things considered. Mederas is really well maintained and pretty but super pricey. Coronado is really great.

2 Likes

Torrey North is also all time.

New to the Nest. Just moved to SD in September, but would echo this. For some reason the main course greens have not been good, while the 9 holer i thought has been fine.

Live real close to balboa would love to get a round in near the city with some folks!

Anyone want to try and get a game going in a couple of weeks?

1 Like

Yeah absolutely. We have a groupchat that’s very active, ask @Rob_Roth for details.

Are you military by the way (asking because of username)? If you havent played those courses yet they are good options.

Im not, its just a nickname from when I was a kid. But definitely a reasonable question being in SD… would love to play them if I ever had the chance.

I’ll try and get in the whatsapp!

Also how does one join RADCG?

1 Like

Rob can add you to the whatsapp, send him a PM on the refuge using the mail function. He’ll set you up. RADCG has a match play bracket, you should join the SD bracket! Great way to play good golf against guys in the group.

Is this still the recommendation? I’ve got a trip in a few weeks, probably playing Torrey North with a buddy but the wife and I have a travel day from SD to Joshua tree and she asked me to plan a round en route - Carlsbad doesn’t look like too far out of the way.

I mean… you’re driving right by it… whether you end up agreeing with the hype or not… you’re driving right by it…

1 Like
  1. I had never heard of this course so the hype is news to me.
  2. It’s a Faz, is that why it’s contentious? GCA hates it, boomers love it?

def very fun course and a great vibe highly recco

2 Likes

I’m definitely not an expert… but a google search will definitely give the 411 needed. I will say with confidence that the views are very unique, and it is their peak season right now.

Not a walking course FYI…I walked it back in October…but had to jump on the back of my partners cart between holes.

It really depends what type of golf experience you’re looking for. Goat is an absolute favorite of the guys in the LowCal roost, but there are some people in the area who dislike it. The course itself is quirky, can punish average shots hit into the wrong place, and some local knowledge will save you 5 strokes the first time around. It’s short, par 65 and requires some thinking. If you want a big ballpark where you can pound 14 drivers it’s not the stop for you. I like to think of it as San Diego’s version of Cullen (from the Scotland tourist sauce season), play it with a half set in a Sunday bag and if you have the right attitude you’re going to love it.

There’s so many options in the area, like I said in the beginning, the recommendation depends what you’re looking for on your trip out here.

3 Likes