Roll Call: Sacramento, CA tour sauce junkies....where you at?

Hey James, I’m in the Natomas area (I play out of Teal), I’d love to join you at El Macero anytime you’ve got an opening.

Sure I play basically every weekend. If I bring a guest we will have to get a tee time after 11 am on the weekends. When ever during the week. Though the guest fee can be steep on the weekend 75. But yes I am always down . I walk no reason to use cart very walkable.

Hi Pat, it’s John. Just joined this board today, but saw you got out there again. I enjoyed that event you threw there last year. Any plans for more events this year? I’ll keep checking out your IG posts too to see. Hope you have a great golfing 2021.

Hey all. Live in Elk Grove here and my buddy is wanting to set up a golf league for 2021. We did a small scale one in 2020 due to Covid but are hoping to make it a bit bigger this year. Basically want to set up a season with rounds all around the Sac area. Each event would have a game assigned to it and placing gets you points. Would also do 4 “Majors” over the year with special prizes and such. Just trying to gage any interest so just shoot me a message saying interested. Thanks and Crack On!

Sounds fun. I’d be in for such a league.

Sending you a DM with my contact info.

edit: ok, maybe not, did they disable sending of direct messages? I don’t see a way to do that, and I know I’ve done it in the past…

Yea they got rid of it for non nest people I think? Feel free to email me or anybody else that wants to play. tkojames@gmail.com :slight_smile:

Update: Sign-up is open!

Hypothetical golf road trip: starting from and ending in Sacramento you have two weeks to go anywhere via car, where are you playing and why?

@ARoss25 my buddies and I do something similar, we could do a little co-mingling and grow both our games. #getinvolved :rofl:

1 Like

Finally got out to Darkhorse last weekend. Honestly other than Yocha Dehe it’s my favorite course in the area so far. Interesting holes, good bunkering, and from the tips is a bear. Greens are pretty tricked up but were pure. Unfortunately played 17 and 18 in almost total darkness but I imagine those holes are sick at sunset. I can’t wait to go back now that I’ve seen the place and know the greens etc

3 Likes

So far that’s been my favorite in the area as well. I agree that the tips are one heck of a ride too. 17 and especially 18 are definitely worth a return trip for you in daylight. Owner is a super nice guy too. I feel like they are doing good things out there at a nice price point.

1 Like

Yes it’s very very good

Flying out in February to find a place to live, only place I’ve contacted to tour is North Ridge.

It looks really nice from the road and the flyovers. Let the group know what you think after your tour.

Really been wanting to get out there. Think this review will be the tipping point. Looking for a warm weather window, 2/20-2/21 looks nice. LMK if anyone is interested.

1 Like

Hit me up for info on places to tour in Sacramento. I can give you the details on North Ridge (ex-member) and other clubs. Also what places to live and what to avoid. And we can tee it up at my club if you got time.

2 Likes

Hey Bobby. Our family moved to this area relatively recently too. We live up in El Dorado Hills. I’ve played the recommended public courses in the area from Dark Horse to Teal Bend to Turkey Creek and all the way out to Yocha Dehe.

What was your take on North Ridge? We were looking at Granite Bay CC since that’s the closest (besides Serrano which doesn’t seem like a particularly interesting course from what I can tell). Of course Del Paso looks great, but might be a little aspirational at the moment. Any other private or public courses you recommend in the area?

Nice. El Dorado Hills is a fantastic place to settle down. I may get up there once my kids enter elementary school in a few years.

Ahh North Ridge… older club with a lot of members living on property. Not family friendly given 80-90% of members don’t have kids. I never brought my kids as I never felt they were welcome there. Weird vibe in that respect. It was a heavily used club pre-COVID and I can’t imagine what it’s like now. I left in 19’ because I just couldn’t get a tee time without booking 3-4 days out and walk on was difficult on weekdays. Course is a bit quirky in spots but overall good and definitely better than the publics in town. New greens and tee boxes we’re putting in 2-3 years ago. Great practice facilities. It’s a swamp in the winter on half the holes due to bad drainage. If you have kids and you want them to play with you I’d probably pass on it. Plus there is no pool or gym. Just golf and pickle ball.

I have friends that were members at Granite Bay CC. They all love it. Good family CC and the course is solid. I don’t think you can walk it given the elevations but it’s been about 5 years since I’ve played it so I forget. Clubhouse is great. Good practice facilities. I remember they had a large number of really good players there. More so than any other club. I think that’s your best bet given where you live.

Cameron Park may be another to check out. I’ve never played there. Avoid Serrano. Have never heard anything good about that spot.

Rancho Murieta might be worth checking out. Used to be a premier spot 15-20 years ago. It got hammered in the 08’ recession and I think never recovered. Might be on the upswing given more remote work and increase in play.

1 Like

Thanks Bobby. That’s good insight. I’ll give Granite Bay a tour. Bummer that it’s not really walkable though, I prefer to walk. But a good family atmosphere is most important at this stage.

I haven’t loved the look of Cameron Park, but it’s one I’ll look at too. Glad you were able to confirm on Serrano.

Appreciate you taking the time to give that info.

1 Like